Thread: Lake District meet sometime in the summer

Default Lake District meet sometime in the summer

Hi all,

Posted this as part of my 'hi' post in the introductions forum, but thought I'd better copy it here.

I'm vaguely considering organising a weekend meet in the lake district, the idea of a lake being that people could split off and do things in small groups depending on interests/ability, then meet at a prearrange point for a picnic or bbq or something. Maybe stay in a camping barn (or accom of your choice) and paddle on a different lake the 2nd day. If anyone's interested let me know.

If people wanted to practice skills, some things I can think of are poling, and also recovery practice - I paddle solo, so am always loath to practice self recovery because if it doesn't work no one will be around to help out/offer advice. And of course just some nice social scenic paddling. Probably do Derwentwater, with maybe the 2nd day in Ullswater unless there are any other suggestions, as I know decent parking/launching places there.

Amelia

sounds good I'll be up for it.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

James G

I would probably be up for a lakes trip.
    Good spot to camp is http://www.hollowsfarm.co.uk/main_field.htm
    It is right next to a pool on the river derwent see pics http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=539
    the rapids are above and below the pool.
    There is also Youth Hostel in Borrowdale.
    This thread reminds me I promissed to do a thread for places about our trip.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Default Re Lake District

This sound great,
    some idea's of dates would be good?

Just watch work get in the way

Dean

Default also interested in weekend in the lakes

Hi
    Sharon and I are also interested in a weekend away in the lakes
    Let us know some proposed dates
    Best Regards

John Middleton

Default Tempting!

My first ever paddle was the trip down the river into Derwent water (and my first rock climb was on Shepherds) so I could be tempted, especially if the dates work out well, ie peak midgy time in Scotland.

Not so sure about the access down there though. Do we need body armour, or do we paddle at night?
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I was on Coniston a fortnight ago,only me on the water at dusk,the whole lake to myself,
    camping isnt allowed yet the bank was full of people fishing all night they get round it because they are in bivvy shelters(only enclosed on three sides so it isnt really a tent)
    Anyway I'm rambling on,If someone gets some dates fixed I'd love to meet up.

Default Proposed details

Lake District Weekend Meet

Well, I've finally got round to putting together some provisional details for a lake district meet. I've decided to go for lakes rather than rivers because I'd like to include the opportunity to do some skills practice for people of all levels, as well as some nice scenic paddling. Ullswater and Derwent Water are both lovely lakes with complete paddling access (only limit is you can't land on the island with the house on it on Derwent Water). I've not been to a meet before, let alone organised one, so if you think the idea of the activity options is crap, please tell me! Details are below.

Dates
    Choice of 27th-29th July or 15th-17th September

Accommodation:
    The accommodation base for the weekend will be Swirral camping barn.

I'd like to go for Swirral because it's easier to stay in a camping barn for those of us who'll be doing a long drive up after work, and Swirral is my favourite place to stay in the Lakes! Swirral is part of a group of former mine buildings above Glenridding. It offers very basic accommodation of mattresses on a wooden sleeping platform for 8 people, a large eating/living area, cold running water, an outside (but undercover) cooking slab (own stoves etc required), and an outside toilet round the back of the barn. The location's lovely, it's very close to Ullswater and about 20 minutes from Derwent Water.

For those of you who really prefer camping, Gillside Farm Campsite is about a mile down the track that leads up to Swirral. For anyone who wants a bit more comfort, Helvellyn Youth Hostel is in the same group of buildings as Swirral.

Proposed Schedule:

FRIDAY

Evening:
    People arrive as and when, own catering arrangements.

SATURDAY - Derwent Water

Morning:
    Early morning departure for Derwentwater, launching from Derwent Water Marina (nr. Portinscale). It costs 5 per car plus 2 per craft to park and launch, but has the advantage of having toilets and showers. Anyone staying in different accommodation can meet us here.

Option 1 - Explore Derwent Water
    Option 2 - Paddle to a large area of quiet shallow water to practice poling (no prior experience needed, but a pole would be helpful!)

Lunchtime:
    Meet at a pre-arranged point for lunch. Own catering arrangements to give everyone a change to have a look at everyone else's cooking kit.

Afternoon:
    Option 1 - Continue to explore Derwent Water
    Option 2 - Paddle to a different area of the lake to practice rescue and recovery. The idea is to give people the opportunity to try capsizing or flooding their own canoes and recovering from it whilst having the support of other people if it doesn't work out to help and offer advice. Will probably be just off an island so any stuff people don't want to get wet can stay on dry land. Anyone staying at the camping barn will be able to shower at the marina as the barn doesn't have a shower.

Evening:
    BBQ at Swirral, everyone to bring own meat (or veggie option) and something for the group (salad, desert, etc, will agree beforehand)

SUNDAY - Ullswater

Morning:
    Early morning departure for Ullswater, launching from a choice of the National Trust carpark (? for the day), or a nearby layby (free). Anyone staying in different accommodation will meet us here.

Option 1: Explore Ullswater
    Option 2: Set-up an "obstacle course" of buoys for skills practice, which everyone can tailor to their personal skill level (eg. Weaving in and out of a line of buoys, sideslipping through a pair of buoys, etc).

Lunchtime:
    Meet at a pre-arranged point for lunch. Own catering arrangements.
    Afternoon:
    Activities/paddles will be decided on the day to take into account when people want to set-off to get back home.

Catering
    You'll need to make your own arrangements on Friday night.
    For the weekend you'll need 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and your own meat/veggie option and something for the group for the Saturday BBQ.

You'll need your own cooking equipment.

If you want to come...
    Let me know by email (amelia AT clarkebiz.com), telling me:

- your prefered date
    - what accommodation you want and how many people/canoes/cars you'll be bringing
    - what paddling options you think you'd want to do for Sat am/pm and Sun am (or any alternative suggestions), and your paddling/poling experience level

- whether you have any spare equipment someone could borrow (particularly a spare pole)
    Once I know there are suffcient people interested I'll give you the details so you can book the accommodation. Please don't book anything before I've confirmed its going ahead.

how soon do you need to know. September would be my option, it's outside the school hols! but chances are I'll be good for July too. longer warmer summer evenings. I'll firm it up in the next week or so.

and is there anywhere to hang a hammock?
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Just an observation, 15th -17th Sept is the Scottish Open Canoe Symposium weekend.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Default Sept weekend

Hi
    Septemeber weekend is no good for us, already got plans

other dates of interest
    Best Regards

John Middleton

The July weekend looks good for me.
    I have no coaching qualifications, but I do have my 3star and have just passed my Canoe safety test which involves all aspects of self and group rescue, and I would be willing to share the knowledge I gained during the course.
    On sunday I would prefer a river trip maybe a repeat of the Derwent trip http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...read.php?t=539

It Might be a good idea to take your email adress off your post for Spam prevention and use this thread or PMs

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    It Might be a good idea to take your email adress off your post for Spam prevention and use this thread or PMs
    We've been using this method of expressing e-mails for a while on SOTP. I'm not aware of SPAMers picking up on it, but if anyone knows different let me know (PM probably best so as not to disrupt this thread). Amelia, I can remove your e-mail if you want.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Matto
    We've been using this method of expressing e-mails for a while on SOTP. I'm not aware of SPAMers picking up on it, but if anyone knows different let me know (PM probably best so as not to disrupt this thread). Amelia, I can remove your e-mail if you want.
    Sorry! Just had a better look and seen the "AT" rather than the other thing.

Hi,

Can the July dates be confirmed as the 27-29 or should it read 28-30 as this is the weekend?

If its the weekend I may possibly come, it depends on when I get back from Sweden. I would most likely camp at that time of year.

Congrat's Dave on your 3*, I assume you found it easy. You should be easy ready for your 4* no probs. Good luck!! It should be a pleasan trip with all this water.

PB

now have a potential clash this w/e, but will try and resolve it in favour of this meet...............

it depends on 3 women, so it may take me some time to achieve a definative position!!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

I'd sure love to do something like this.

I read a book, when I was a kid. Some kind of historical novel set in the years between 1715 - 1745 and having to do with King James and "bonnie" Prince Charlie. The main protagonists lived near Derwentwater. Very intrigueing to me.

12 years old, living in a cabin in the northwoods of minnesota and trying to visualize this place from a written description.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard
    I'd sure love to do something like this.

I read a book, when I was a kid. Some kind of historical novel set in the years between 1715 - 1745 and having to do with King James and "bonnie" Prince Charlie. The main protagonists lived near Derwentwater.
    Could it have been a novel called "Rogue Herries" writen by Hugh Walpole the timing sounds about right and they lived at a place called "Watendlath" which is onthe fells above Derwentwater and the Borrowdale Valley.

tea and cake at the cafe in the chandlers at Nichol End Mariner is good!
    Coniston in the early morning is lovely; up and out before Gondola; cooking brekfast on Wild Cat Island... My first ever paddle in an open canoe was on Derwant Water, hired from Nichol End Mariner (too windy to sail so we paddled instead!?) Ullswater is my favourite too (once you are away from Pooley Bridge).
    ...any way - I am meant to be working but my mind keeps wandering...
    Have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    Could it have been a novel called "Rogue Herries" writen by Hugh Walpole the timing sounds about right and they lived at a place called "Watendlath" which is onthe fells above Derwentwater and the Borrowdale Valley.
    That's not ringing any bells. I will look next time I'm at the homestead. I'm sure it is still there.

Some of the characters were Northumbrians, and the "hero" and "heroine" end up in America. The heroine's father gets the axe for treason after 1745.

I fear it was probably some unrealistic and romantic tripe, but a person's just not that choosy at age 12.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default Final proposal

I'm a bit worried a 2 day trip is pushing my organisational skills a bit! So to make myself feel better I'm going to organise it as 2 seperate days, come for one or both and sort out your own accommodation (I'll be in Swirral camping barn, other people are welcome to stay here too) If you want to come, please EMAIL ME (details at the bottom), as well as replying to this post.

Cheers,

Amelia

LAKE DISTRICT MEET

Nb. The activities I've proposed are just suggestions and not set in stone, just think that it'd be nice to do something a bit different and learn from each other! We can decide when we meet who wants to do what.

DAY 1

Date: Saturday 29th July 2006
    Launch point: Derwent Water Marina
    Cost: £5 per car plus £2 per craft for launching and parking for the day (Marina has showers and loos)
    Time: Meet at 9am (to be confirmed, give your feedback!)

Morning
    Scenic paddle with the option of some poling practice in the shallow bit
    Lunch
    Relaxed lunch break on one of the islands, own catering.
    Afternoon
    Choice between another scenic paddle, or doing some skills practice (capsizing, different strokes round buoys, whatever people want)
    Evening
    Own arrangements, optional BBQ at Swirral camping barn nr Glenridding

DAY 2

Date: Sunday 30th July 2006
    Launch point: The National Trust car park near Glenridding (details tbc)
    Cost: Not sure, can't be too much
    Time: Meet at 9am (to be confirmed, give your feedback!)

Morning
    Scenic paddle or option of doing some fishing (just a normal EA rod license needed on Ullswater)
    Lunch
    Relaxed lunch break, own catering
    Afternoon
    Flexible

IF YOU WANT TO COME...

EMAIL me (amelia AT clarkebiz DOT com)
    Tell me:
    - what day(s) you want to come
    - what time you want to meet
    - whether you'd like to do poling/skills/fishing/just paddle, as applicable
    - if you're interested in a BBQ on the Saturday night
    - if you're a definite or maybe
    Last edited by Amelia; 5th-June-2006 at 07:07 PM.

Would be great, if this is still planned let me know. Am on shift that weekend, but if it is still going ahead I will try and book a holiday. Am hoping to have done level 2 training by then so should be able to help out some.

Hi

Is this meet still happening?

Who's going?

If it's not happening, anyone interested in coming to the Peak District on the same weekend and doing a couple of river trips?

Paul B.

Default Lakes summer wk end

Hi there
    My daughter and i are only novice paddlers having recently purchased an open canoe after having a couple of paddling trips using hired canoes.
    Having only just dicovered this site we are very interested in the summer lakes trip and wondered if we would be welcome to come and join in the fun or is this purley for experienced paddlers.
    I would appreciate a reply ASAP so as to make arrangments if we would be ok to go.
    Cheers
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by Roy
    Hi there
    My daughter and i are only novice paddlers having recently purchased an open canoe after having a couple of paddling trips using hired canoes.
    Having only just dicovered this site we are very interested in the summer lakes trip and wondered if we would be welcome to come and join in the fun or is this purley for experienced paddlers.
    I would appreciate a reply ASAP so as to make arrangments if we would be ok to go.
    Cheers
    Roy
    I am not sure how much interest there has been for this trip. I think it was concieved as a fun skill sharing weekend, so being a beginer should not be a problem.
    Try Emailing Amelia the address is a few posts above use the usual symbols for "at" and dot com.

I've indicated that I'm up for it in July, but i've heard nothing back from Amelia...... Amelia? you still with us? <<waves>>
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Sorry for the lack of response from me - been very very poor about replying to emails/posts/PMs recently.

Anyway, there hasn't been a great deal of interest in the trip, so feel free to organise the Peak district meet on the same weekend.

As for this meet, I'll be up in the Lakes that weekend so if anyone does want to go for a paddle on the Saturday, please email me, amelia AT clarkebiz DOT com - please don't just reply to this thread, as its gotten quite long so its hard to keep track! Reckon we'll just see who turns up then decide what to do, but all abilities/fitnesses welcome, the aim isn't going to be to cover a large number of miles at speed.

Once again, if you definitely want to meet up on the Saturday, email me. amelia AT clarkebiz DOT com. No "maybes" at the moment please - I need to know that there are some definites first

Sorry for being so lax about replying before now...

Default Peak Area Meet 28-30 July

Hi folks

Amelia, sorry you had a poor response, and to hi-jack your thread.

I have started a new thread with a Peak area meet for all you Midlands, Eastern, Southern and Western SOTP members.

Hope to see you there.

Regards

Paul Booker.

no probs It might be a tiny meet, but I'm sure we'll have a great time, and you lot will too

I will now be going, staying at the Gillside campsite that Amelia provided a link to further up the thread. I've never paddled on open water before so will be a new experience for me.

Who else is currently planning on attending?

Cheers

Rols.

Default Lakes July

Hi
    I also will definately be going with my daughter and her friend.
    Originaly i to planned to camp Just down the road from where Amelia is staying but i am now undecided since Blutak mentioned :http://www.watersidefarm-campsite.co.uk/ which looks great for put in to ullswater . Check out Blutack's pics in his places thread (Ullswater Lakes)
    Either way it would be nice to share the experience.This is also My daughters first time on open water.Safety in numbers hey.
    Any way please vconfirm were you are staying and i will do like wise.

Cheers
    Roy
    Last edited by Roy; 14th-July-2006 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention pics

Hi Roy,

It does look great, my only thoughts are that it would mean its the other side of the lake to where Amelia (and others?) are, (although this may be a plus point for shuttling possibly). Also more hassle if folk want to meet up in the evening?

Have you contacted them regarding chances of getting a pitch at all? While the Gillside one won't accept bookings they said that although it will be busy as long as arrive before 7pm shouldn't have a problem getting a pitch.

Look forward to seeing everyone there.

Roly.

Default Lakes

Ok Gillside it is
    see you all there.
    Cheers
    Roy

Don't get me wrong, looking at the maps and the photos the other site does look excellent. But personally I'd rather be located as close to any others attending as possible.

Rols.

Default Lakes

Thats fine Roly, i also prefer to be with everybody else.
    Maybe we can check it out ourselves when we are there and possibly give it a whirl next time.
    Cheers
    Roy

Default Lakes

Hi all Myself +1 will be attending and also a workmate who is still to introduce himself will be also attending after converting him to the darkside by selling him my old Pyranna Ranger. We would also be looking to camp but haven't had the opportunity to phone the campsite and enquire so thanks for the info about arriving before 7 but due to work commitments would not be arriving while Sat morning. so see you all there Mike B...

Grrr, just wrote long reply only to have my connection dump me! So here it goes again...

On my list I have (usernames in brackets if applicable):

John (J Middle) and Sharon
    Roy with his daughter and her friend
    Mike (Mike B)
    Mike's workmate
    Roly (ukrols)
    Me! (Amelia)

So it's not going to be the tiny meet I feared

I have a few questions that I'd appreciate you all answering...

- what time would you like to meet on the Saturday?
    - would you be interested in a BBQ on the Saturday evening?

I'll email everyone soon with directions, my mobile number, meeting time etc. If anyone's going to be driving up so would like to meet later I'm open to having an early meet time, then going off for a short paddle before coming back to meet everyone else.

Amelia

I'll be in the area that weekend and would love to meet up on saturday.

Great I'll add you to the list. Will you email me (amelia AT clarkebiz DOT com) with your email addy? Thanks.

i confermed with Mike B last night that i will be going up with him so add me to your list

I've put together the final details. I'm going to be away from Tuesday so after Mon you'll have to text/call with any problems. If anyone else wants to come who hasn't contacted me, feel free, just make sure you launch on time so we don't leave without you!

A FlashPaper doc with all the details on is here.

Just a quick bump to push the thread to the top again as a reminder to anyone new to the forum or undecided about attending that the Lake District meet kindly brought together by Amelia is this weekend!

Details in link in the post above....

Rols.

I'm not gonna make this on saturday as I'll be in coniston 'til the afternoon,I've got transport problems and arrangements meeting my better half are a bit vague due to work getting in the way.
    I was really looking forward to derwentwater.
    anyway have a great day!
    p.s was anything on for sunday?

I've moved Newdaze's post to a new Blogg thread.
    John