Thread: Loch Lomond from Luss

Journal Entries

Default Loch Lomond from Luss

Loch Lomond from Luss (Aldochhay), Scotland

I have said this is from Luss but it is actually from Aldochhay but since that is only a half dozen houses I have called it Luss as it is the nearest place that you are likely to have heard of. For more information about Loch Lomond have a look HERE but suffice to say, it is big with quite a lot of islands. Because of its size the conditions can be pretty wild and a lot of areas are not in the least sheltered. That said there are also lots of places where you can still paddle in rough weather.

The main interest in paddling this spot are the islands (more information HERE). As with the Balmaha area the main point of interest around here are the islands. As these are grouped closely together there is a central channel between them, called the straights that is always calm whatever way the wind is blowing. Generally from the put in point at Aldochhay you should be able to make it round to the straights by one route or another.

The put in point at Ardochhay is a small laybye with only enough parking for about 5 or 6 cars. In the winter you should get a space okay but in the summer you will need to be there early.

In summer these islands are very busy with people in large boats camping with there families. However this does not detract from the paddle too much. There is a strict speed limit around these islands so you do not have to wory too much abut the wash. The boats and campers on shore give the straights a feeling a little like Henley or the like with everyone making the most of the water and their boat. It is a friendly almost party atmosphere. Not a wilderness trip but still a journey worth making.

In winter the area is completely different with no one about apart from the odd boat passing through.

Inchtavannach is a large island with some Sheep and a house on it. This appears to be constantly occupied so you must make sure you do not disturb the owners unnecessary. They must get heartily sick of people camping almost outside their front window. The house is at the south end so the north of the island will be the most secluded.

Inchonnachan is notable for its wild Wallabies. Yes wallabies. I though they would be hard to catch a glimpse of but if you go to the north of the island you can hardly go two yards into the bracken without one jumping out. There is a building on this site as well but it seems to be in less frequent use but still care should be taken not to disturb the occupants.

Inchmoan and Inchcruin are both very flat islands that can be mostly under water during times of high water levels. When the water is high you can paddle between them, and when it isn't, you can't

There are a few other, smaller, islands in this area, all of which are worth exploring if you get the time.

So a great bit of Scotland and some interesting places to see. And where else can you go looking for Wallabies with or without the kids.
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 19th-December-2005 at 11:13 AM.
    John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Default Loch Lomond

Hi,
    I'm a newcomer to this site and I have not, as yet been 'on the water' as a paddler but I was, a few years ago a police officer at Luss and a crew member of the Luss Rescue Boat. I also had my own small craft on Loch Lomond and have a good knowledge of the Loch and it's surroundings. The house you refer to did belong to the Lady Colquhoun, the sister of the present owner of just about all of the west side of Loch Lomond and was used occasionally. It has been some time since I was involved in that area but I have no reason to believe that it has changed hands. The wallabies were introduced many years ago and have been known to swim across to the mainland where they have been sighted near to what is now the Loch Lomond golf course.
    Having regard to the islands of Loch Lomond and their surroundings I have learned that the north sides of the islands are rocky but the south sides are sandy and fairly sheltered affording an easy passage for a canoe or small craft.
    At the north-west end of Loch Lomond, between Tarbet and Ardlui there is a narrow waterway which appears to be a river flowing into the Loch. This is, in fact a canal, which was instigated by Queen Victoria when she was travelling to Oban and the west coast. The road (or track as it was then) between Tarbet and Ardlui was notorious 'bandit' country and the Queen had the canal made in order to circumvent the 'nasties'.
    Hope this has been informative. Happy paddling.