Thread: Wild Rice Harvest

Default Wild Rice Harvest

Story of Fond du lac Band students wild rice harvesting (canoe related):

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/art...ction=homepage
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

What I find kinda strange is that people have lost sight of how to do this by and large - ok, not just rice harvesting and winnowing, but how to grow stuff generally, or even just gather food?

Actually, I'll go further, I know people who, if their food isn't already 'manufactured' so it can be thrown into a microwave, or is any more complex than opening a jar and just heating the contents up, they are completely lost.

I know someone who even buys tins of chopped onions to save having to slice and prepare them "as it saves time".

Ok, maybe rice harvesting/winnowing isn't something I should expect that many people to know (after all, I don't, but I could work it out I'm sure) , but the rest of it I don't understand - is it just me ?

Sorry PG, it was canoe related, but I'm wandering OT now.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    What I find kinda strange is that people have lost sight of how to do this by and large - ok, not just rice harvesting and winnowing, but how to grow stuff generally, or even just gather food?

Actually, I'll go further, I know people who, if their food isn't already 'manufactured' so it can be thrown into a microwave, or is any more complex than opening a jar and just heating the contents up, they are completely lost.

I know someone who even buys tins of chopped onions to save having to slice and prepare them "as it saves time".

Ok, maybe rice harvesting/winnowing isn't something I should expect that many people to know (after all, I don't, but I could work it out I'm sure) , but the rest of it I don't understand - is it just me ?

Sorry PG, it was canoe related, but I'm wandering OT now.
    I agree. I like to get to the heart of things. Many of these things - harvesting rice, making sugar, even hunting and fishing, were very family oriented for the old time Ojibwe. With the pace of our lives nowadays, I've never really been able to instill these things into family institutions in our family. Besides, the kids always thought it was too much work.

It's never been work for me.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Quote Originally Posted by pierre girard View Post
    With the pace of our lives nowadays, I've never really been able to instill these things into family institutions in our family. Besides, the kids always thought it was too much work.

It's never been work for me.
    Exactly. It's never been work for me either. I have this a lot at work, as I seem to be the only one who cooks. Granted I have the easiest life too I'm sure, but how long does it really take to prepare a meal? Few enough people I chat with seem to enjoy cooking anyway, and plenty see it as a real hassle, so growing, harvesting and gathering would be unimaginable.

Odd really, considering that this is how lots of the worlds population spends it's time, tending crops and livestock. I guess there is no connection these days as the shops have everything you could ever want, and all for no effort too.

I have lots of other views on this, but they may start to go all ranting and make me sound like a survivalist (note the beard & regular camo wearing), so I'll stop there for a bit I think.

I am currently teaching 'digestion' to 12 year olds. One girl in the class exclaimed 'we eat cows!?' last lesson.

'Of course we do' I said 'Where did you think beef comes from?'

'No idea' she said

It really is beyond sad.

There was a survey last year that said a scarily large percentage of British children didn't equate chips to potatoes to vegetables.

(Before anyone comments on schools being at fault, we only see them 6 hours a day, beyond that small section its parents! -or TV).

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

Yes, it is sad that few people these days give much thought to what they eat and how it is produced, harvested and used.

I used to go into schools to talk about food webs and wildlife. Plant - slug - Thrush - Sparrow Hawk that kind of thing.
    I started with relating it to what the children ate and so many of them had no idea. They couldn't tell if Pizza was animal, mineral or vegtable. It just came from the supermarket.

Any project that encourages people (esp. children) to think about how things grow and relate to where and who we are has to be a good thing.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

A guy I used to work with made a profound statement one time (which tickled me) whilst on a rant and said he swore that people wouldn't know how to boil water one day...
    Gibbo.
    _____________________________________________________________ ________
    http://gibboscanoe.blogspot.com/ Please click on the adverts: it earns me money...

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    They couldn't tell if Pizza was animal, mineral or vegtable. It just came from the supermarket.
    That's probably true anyway tho' isn't it. I doubt I could tell you what is in a supermarket Pizza.

(not been to a supermarket for over 9 months now, not even for cat food, and that was the only reason I'd been going for the previous 18 months).

Default A day of days

It's good to know, that some people in the world, are making an effort to remember their past and who they are. And indeed, why they are. To know where to go, one ought to have some knowledge of where they've come from.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    It's good to know, that some people in the world, are making an effort to remember their past and who they are. And indeed, why they are. To know where to go, one ought to have some knowledge of where they've come from.

TGB
    Very true, we forget our history and heritage, and we forget who we are.

As an aside.
    My daughter is doing a project on early peoples at school at the moment. Tomorow she plans to take in some nettle cordage she helped make at the weekend. I've also suggested she take in a bow drill. We played at living in caves all weekend.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'