Thread: to tape or not

Question to tape or not

I've opted to build a selway fisher prospector and am wanting to keep the lines as clean as poss.
    what did everybody else do regarding the exterior seams?
    I'm guessing options are fillet with epoxy /wood dust and sand down, then epoxy whole exterior prior to paint or follow on fillet with tape along the join, which will be stronger but leave a slight ridge or mat the whole of the exterior which will be strong, no ridges but cost more

thoughts?
    I'm not young enough to know everything

Hi
    I'm also building a prospector 17 foot ( not finished the planks yet) The plans say just tape the inside. I did ring paul fisher about this matter.
    He said that with just tape on the inside was fine(but he does seem to think cheap is the way to go) BUT me being me I've decided to build in 5mm ply,tape the inside,fill outer seams,maybe tape the outer seems and sheath the complete outer with 200g woven rovin mat. The sheath will add to the weight but will make her a lot tougher when in the water. I supose its just down to how strong you want your canoe to be, its a balance between strength and weight. For me I dont see how a nice thin piece is ok when a bit of 3x2 will do just kiddin. If you tape the outside just rub it down maybe recoat with resin and rub down again fairing it out all the time your rubbing till in the end you just cant see it when under paint. If your doing her in clear you will be able to see the tape. If you sheath you will NOT see it. choices ah not to mention the cost.

regards
    Ste

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I've opted to build a selway fisher prospector and am wanting to keep the lines as clean as poss.
    what did everybody else do regarding the exterior seams?
    I'm guessing options are fillet with epoxy /wood dust and sand down, then epoxy whole exterior prior to paint or follow on fillet with tape along the join, which will be stronger but leave a slight ridge or mat the whole of the exterior which will be strong, no ridges but cost more

thoughts?
    Hi
    either way is strong although sheathing will give wear resistance the cost should not be to high as you will not tape the outside just sheath.
    I have noticed in other posts that it is sometimes recommended that you only tape the inside of the the hull, remember if you do this you are creating a hinge not a composite joint I always sheath the outside as the the time and cost are a small percentage of both the cost and life of a canoe.

Mine is taped on the inside, glassclothed on the outside, apart from the top chine which is taped.

IIRC the glassclothing/sheathing was not that hard - but do make sure the hull is completely smooth beforehand as bumps under the cloth are a real PITA.

Looks like this underneath

The ridge in the middle is from taping the planks together.

Other than that the glasscloth gave a bootiful smooth finish.

Thats a lovely well rounded bottom if I've ever seen one