Thread: Fishing from your canoe !!

Default Fishing from your canoe !!

Hi, Just wondered if anyone has fished from their canoe ! Im planning a trip to the lakes for a sort of bushcraft few days and was planning to do a bit of fishing off my canoe . Ideas for rods,bait etc would be great !!!!!
    Last edited by T.Brown; 19th-September-2007 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling !!

Last edited by DougR; 19th-September-2007 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks , Ill take a look !

Hardly ever fish from anything else. As to rod and bait - depends on what you're fishing for.

Note: I wouldn't stand up to cast.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I have to admit....I love hanging out here, but I am not into canoeing as much as most people here are. I bought my canoe primarily for fishing. My son and I go all the time in it and it is a lot of fun. We get into a lot of small ponds and lakes that bigger boats just can't make it to.

As far as bait and tackle, that is more dependent on what you are fishing for, not what you are fishing from. I generally take one spin casting real with light line, and one bait caster with a bit heavier line. Jigs, worms, and a few select lures.

Brian

Super !
    What about float fishing in the lakes ?. As you can probably tell im new to it all so forgive me if I sound silly !!
    I like the idea of just paddling out to the middle of a huge lake , casting out and just sitting back and waiting !!
    Maggots ? Hemp? .
    I was thinking of a telescopic rod for easy storage ?

You probably missed this thread.
    Its worth reading, I cant think of any (rod based) method which is outlawed in the UK - the rules appear to be the same as for standing on the bank.

Some fisheries outlaw the use of canoes - and some places you can canoe, you're not allowed to fish - I've paddled through the Junction Pool many times...

Quote Originally Posted by T.Brown View Post
    Super !
    What about float fishing in the lakes ?. As you can probably tell im new to it all so forgive me if I sound silly !!
    I like the idea of just paddling out to the middle of a huge lake , casting out and just sitting back and waiting !!
    Maggots ? Hemp? .
    I was thinking of a telescopic rod for easy storage ?
    Most often you are best off working the shoreline or bottom structure - rather than "the middle of a huge lake."
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default fishing

yes one of the reasons i got the canoe, get some plastic waste pipe and zip tie it to the gunwalls, makes great rod holders,check the length and chop ,