Thread: Flint Source

Default Flint Source

Does anyone know of a source of flint (for fire lighting) in Central Scotland? The only place I can find is up by Peterhead. I'm needing some spares for use with the Scout troop my daughter is in.

Is there a good place round Brighton / Worthing as I have someone coming up from there next month?

Thanks for any info.
    Chris

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

How about a builders merchant/garden centre ?

You can buy a bag of [little] bits, used for gardens n' the like, and that'll last you a lifetime. No good for knapping, as it'll be too small at 40-60mm kinda size, but good for flint n' steel malarkey.

My nearest flint source, is err, well to be honest it's my next-door neighbour's front garden (shh). I only skim off the odd bit that gets into the road anyway (honest).

I've got some in the front garden - could post you a few bits.

Briton/Hove/Hastings and right through to Dover you can pick it up off the beach - almost any gravel deposit in Herts/Essex/Suffolk/Norfolk will provide some.....

Any members in East Anglia or Isle of Wight fancy posting some up north. There's a fair few buildings, which nothing but, so there must be plenty in those areas.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

As kids we used to find occasional nodules of flint along the shore at Limekilns here in Fife.
    Ian
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

I've got a pile of the stuff, can stick some in the car and meet you after work some night if you like.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Any members in East Anglia or Isle of Wight fancy posting some up north. There's a fair few buildings, which nothing but, so there must be plenty in those areas.

TGB
    There's plenty in East Anglia, Grimes Graves was a major source of it in pre-history!

The mouth of the river Garnock at Irvine is pretty good for flint.

magic

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Can you take flint from the coast tho' - I thought that there was 'something' about not taking stuff, certainly in some areas, as it contributes to erosion, and damages the site.

Maybe it's only in designated areas tho', like SSSI's geoparks and NMR's ?

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Flint

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishing View Post
    As kids we used to find occasional nodules of flint along the shore at Limekilns here in Fife.
    Ian
    I used to have a link to an online map of indigenous Scottish flint, I think I sent the link to grooveski a while back but I never kept it. All the flint along the Fife coast came from balast in ships hulls. Inverkeithing to Northqueensferry was the place to get it as this is where the wreckers yard is for ships.

I know indigenous Scottish flint is rare. I asked the crannog people at Loch Tay if they had any in their assemblages but they found none which amazed me.

WS
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Don't forget you can use quartz, or indeed any hard stone that can produce an edge sharp enough to shave the steel.

Some idiot has even posted a quick video clip of it over on YouTube, showing it as proof of concept - that video clip is here ...

I have found lots of flints around the south coast of the Isle of Mann near Scarlett. These were/are apparently flintlock flints from the Armada.

Thanks for the info everyone, I may be intouch .
    Chris

There's the link Woodsmoke mentioned. Cracking wee article.
    http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsd...09_007_021.pdf

The article suggests that Chert sources are more abundant than good flint in scotland - Chert/jasper/agate/flint are very very similar.

The biggest and best nodules I've seen were in the headwaters of the Liddle - up by the "Knot o' the Gate Road" - by the Saughtree trun-off.
    B6357

The couple of chert sources I've visited have been very small seams. It doesn't weather very well either so surface finds are usualy badly cracked. The only place I've seen usable material(for knapping) was at Raven Gill in the Leadhills which is a SSSI and collecting isn't allowed.

After imported flint, most tool artifacts found are pitchstone which is available in large enough chunks for lithic reduction. Growing up on Arran I tend to go there when I want some but it crops up on a number of other western isles.

Came up on BcUK a while ago, here's the spiel:
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16315

Not much cop for throwing sparks though. Not really tough enough, loses it's edge really quickly(as does chert).

There's Jasper up the Campsies(not on the map in the article).

flint - the best flint comes from the base of an uprooted tree stump, if you walk through the woods and find a tree that has been blown over and uprooted there is a good chance you'll find some big bits of flint in there somwhere. You'll have to pry / hack it out.