Thread: Hello to you all

Default Hello to you all

Hi All

Recently found this forum...........At last a dedicated open canoe site

I have some experience of surf kayaking, but have always loved the open canoes and consequently have had some lessons and am just about to embark on my bcu star tests......wish me luck

I am now at the stage of wanting to purchase my own craft. I want the ability of being able to go tandam [with wife or one of the rapidly growing kids] but expect much of the time to be solo.

I am lucky to live next to the River Wey, I fact my garden ends at the river bank.

Having lessons has shown me that a 16 footer is just a bit too long for a lot of solo padddling [in my very limited experience ]. My current thinking is to get a Mad River 14TT.

Would welcome any thoughts you folk may have.

Cheers

Welcome, again

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions about your canoe choice. It is worth having a look through the threads as similar questions have been asked recently. I have similar requirements to yours and went for a We No Nah 15 foot prospector and I am very happy with it but then again Doc has the same requirements and is delighted with his 15 foot Novacraft Bob Special.

You will read lots of different opinions but one thing we all agree on is that if you can try as many canoes as you can. It all helps to making your decision. So far it has shown you that 16 foot is probably a tad long. Something I tend to agree with but there is the possibility that a 16 foot boat with more rocker would be easier to paddle solo but still give the tandem capacity.
    John

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

That's the great thing about canoes, the right one is out there somewhere.
    This is what 16' solo could look like:

[MP off Duncannon, 23rd April 2006, in his 16' Old Town Discovery Scout - as seen over the nose of Geisha's boat - which is a red version of this one]

This is about ~10 minutes down the road from me, but having a river at the end of the garden ...

Hi Monkey Pork, yes I know............I am lucky with the location.

Tried a 16ft Old Town recently, nice canoe but still think the length is too long for me. Not sure why I am drawn to the Mad River's ? I get the impression that they are not generally liked by a lot of folk on this site.

I have to bite the bullet sometime and the MR 14TT seems to fit my requirements, would have liked Royalex but money is a major consideration.

Would still appreciate any thoughts from you all.

Cheers

Welcome to the site, I paddle a 16' prospector solo, however I often need the capacity for tandem plus camping kit and dog, if I was doing more solo I may have considered a 15' but im not sure.
    Whatever you get you will have a ball so try a few out, take some advice then go with your gut.
    Its also been said here before that 2nd hand boats are worth a try if you can find one, and open canoes hold their value pretty well so if you change your mind its not the end of the world.

I paddle a 16ft Mobile Adventure Prospector. I find it fine solo or tandem and now that they make it in Corelite, you can get nearly royalex weight for a PE price (wish they'd thought of that a year earlier).

James G

hello sprout!
    I have a mad river canoe and am very happy with it!! there have been some poor reviews mostly about how its been fitted together on importing. mine came from Brookbank Canoes - Stockport- and seems to be fine. Have fun choosing...(and saving)

Hi SSB

Just bitten the bullet and ordered the Mad River 14 St Croix .............from Brookbank Canoes, so was pleased to read your post .

Any advice on additions, other pieces of kit?

Cheers

Sprout

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Sprout
    Hi SSB

Just bitten the bullet and ordered the Mad River 14 St Croix .............from Brookbank Canoes, so was pleased to read your post .

Any advice on additions, other pieces of kit?

Cheers

Sprout
    Congratulations.

The next thing to buy may be a lock for your wallet.

Then a good place to start looking for kit would be this thread.

Last edited by monkey_pork; 25th-April-2006 at 07:21 PM.