Thread: Proposed Strathyre meetup May/June

Default Proposed Strathyre meetup May/June

At the Inchcailloch trip there was much interest and discussion about having another weekend meetup. One possibility is at Strathyre, which is on the River Balvaig between Callander and Lochearnhead, just north of Loch Lubnaig.

The Balvaig flows from Balqhuidder to Loch Lubnaig and is grade one all the way, but it is interesting grade one with a few small easy rapids, twists and turns, and a few trees to avoid. After Strathyre the current is very weak, and according to the book (and independently corroborated by Maggie and Allan) you can paddle upstream from Loch Lubnaig back to Strathyre.

Lubnaig itself ('a gem') is very scenic and a good place to paddle. Lochs Voil, Doine, Earn and the Teith are all within an easy drive.

Strathyre has a pub and a campsite:
    http://www.immervoulin-caravan-campi...uk/welcome.htm
    which is on the river. However Stuart works for the FC who also have flat land by the river which might be made available to us, so this could be an alternative. I think there is a public loo block there too.

I would suggest 26/27/28 May as a possible date, or alternatively the following weekend.

Sounds like a great idea .
    Lots of possibilities for day trips in the area, without having to move the car as well.

The campsite may be safer for leaving tents/gear etc during the day, but I can't remember the set up at the FC site.

26-28 may is the one weekend I definately can't make, but if it suits others carry on and we'll get to the next one .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

sounds good.

regards
    james

Maybe. From mid May to the end of June Karen has races that she is doing so I would need to be bringing the girls. If using "proper" camp site I can take the Tipi so it should not be a problem.
    John

Default Proposed Strathyre meetup May/June

Hi
    I'm quite new to the forum but have paddled the Balquidder route with Doc. Very good experience for the novice. I won't be able to make the over night stay that weekend but would be great to meet up on sat or sun.
    Cheers
    Inchbrakie

Default Strathyre Meet

Hi Doc,

Alan and myself can make the May weekend.
    We are heading further North for the first week in June.

Yours Maggie
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Default Race Week?

Just had a look at the SCA site and apparently this weekend (27-28 may)is at the end of race week!

There is a marathon race and a 10k race of some description scheduled for this sat and sun on Loch Lubnaig.
    I'm sure they won't be using the whole loch but it could be a bit busier than normal. I don't know what kind of canoes/kayak etc are taking part (I didn't look at the details yet )

We're free the weekend before and the second weekend in june at the moment.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 27th-April-2006 at 07:50 AM.

Whoops - thanks for that....I wonder if we should consider a different date. Either the first or second weekend in June perhaps?

Second weekend in June and I may be in Scotland as well, driving up from Isle of Wight then anyway? Was heading over to Loch Ericht but have started to look at other possibilities! Nigel

Have a look at the Star Awards thread. there is the suggestion of a 3 star training weekend at Strathyre on the weekend of the 13th / 14th May.
    John

It might not go down too well at home if I am off paddling too often. I'm keen to do the star stuff on 13th/14th May, and I'm sure others will too, so with this in mind would 10th/11th june be better?

10/11 june would be fine for us . whole family this time.

Whooppee..couldnt make the may date

But if its 10/11 may,..count me in

Also phew..when the colman 17' canoe was getting a pasting I thought, oh no..but mine is a Journey..so thats all right then...

Douglas

ooops..entuisiastic typing meant JUne..

stupid boy

D aka Chou..

I will be on my way home from Glenmore lodge that weekend so I will most likely stop for friday and maybe Saturday Night.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Keep me posted doc sounds up my street fri and sat with early departure sunday so up for a good weekend.

We're planning on heading down to Strathyre on Friday night.

Saturday we hope to do Balquhidder ( from as far up the river larig as poss) to Strathyre. Anyone else fancy doing this trip on the Saturday or do we just make it up as we go along . ( will have noisy children in tow)

Sunday maybe loch Lubnaig and getting wet.

Default Balquhidder Trip

Doh would love to have joined you on this trip as im itching to do the Balquhidder but im booked into to do 1 and 2 star this weekend down in the lakes.........well id better get some cert's i guess. If anyone else is planning this trip then pls let me know.

Steve

I'm keen to meet for any sort of paddle....Balq..what time on Saturday

Douglas

Since originally posting I've had to get 'paddling leave' for the 3 star training and the Achray meet, and I'm not sure if I can negotiate yet more for this weekend. I really need to get my wife interested in canoeing.

Would have joined you but I've just laminated a map of Loch Goil and am psyching myself up for a couple of days of paddling practice.

Have a good trip.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    I really need to get my wife interested in canoeing.
    Yes you do and what could be a better introduction than a sunny weekend not to far away .

Our kids will be there, friends of ours may be interested in coming along at least on the Sunday ( they have 3 young children, no canoe but they will probably hire as they are looking to buy one) and Paul's sister and her family will possibly come along on the Saturday night, again 3 young children and a MR Explorer.

Go on you know you want to .

Shuttle for Balqhuidder. May be easiest to meet at Stratyre and figure out the shuttle from there depending on numbers, we'll be there any way so any time would suit, would suggest 10 am approx. but we are flexible .

I have had a wee private chat with Sivergirl about this weekend and we have suggested that we run this weekend in conjunction with a demo day that I had promised elsewhere on the forum.

I know this is silly short notice for folk, but it is how I'm running my life just now, not thinking or planning too far ahead.

Anyway, who would be interested in joining the group for a demo paddle in my canoes?

At the moment Silvergirl is looking to paddle/mini journey on the Saturday (R. Lairig/Loch Doine/Balquidder/R. Balvag/Strathyre campsite). I am quite happy that folk use my boats for this (I'll paddle the kevlar one on the rocky bits !).

However, I am aware that there is a parking/narrow road issue beyond Balquidder and I will have a motorhome and trailer for the 6 canoes. This means that we will have to ensure that only the minimum no. of cars go up the glen.

Sunday's suggestion is Loch Lubnaig. This will be better for playing/sailing/rescues/ etc.

Due to other paddling buddies demanding a jaunt I'd rather just do one day for the demo, but if enough folk twist my arm..............

The canoes are
    Wenonahs Spirit2, tandem
    Rogue tandem
    Prospector 16, set up solo, only one seat
    Prism solo
    Solo Plus (both T and S)
    NovaCraft Supanova solo

That is 7 places, but 2 are spoken for. Folk can swap round throughout the day at will. Obviously other boats can be used, so party size is not restricted to 7.
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Well, with a mix of loch and safe moving water, and a shedload of tenboats' canoes it should be a great weekend. Only problem being that I think I have been volunteered for some school barbecue thingummie on Saturday p.m.

I'll have a chat with my long suffering wife.

Looks like I am roped in for a barbecue at 2pm on saturday, and Perth Races on sunday.

Just possibly might be able to get away Saturday or Sunday morning- if so I will pitch up (with my faithful bow paddler, Ross) at Strathyre earlyish (8.30- 9am). If I don't make it hope you all have a great trip.

Probably due to typical Tenboats short notice there aren't too many takers for the demos. I'm planning on being there both days, and maybe Friday night too. At this stage I am planning on leaving the Prism at home because there is a chance I'll have to leave some canoes (locked) on the trailer. Unless anyone wants to request a Prism paddle. (the solo+ and supernova seem popular at this stage.)

See you there, whoevers going!
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2