Thread: Varnish!!!

Sheffield when it's Term time, Manchester area when it's not!

Question Varnish!!!

Hi!

Ok, I apologise if my questions are starting to get tedious...

I'm nearly there, almost up to the varnishing stage and the dealers ive talked to are... somewhat confusing, ranging from one who gave me an estimate of over £100 to varnish it and B and Q who said it'd cost £20 (having inspected the 'yacht' varnish before i bought it the small print declaired not suitable for marine use )!!! I've sealed the wood with the left over epoxy i had so any varnish i get'll have to stick to that. It's a little over 14 foot and will not be seeing any white water (if this makes a difference?!). I wanna keep the wood look on it so i'd prefer not to paint it. My questions are what CHEAP varnish should i get (and where can i buy it?! Are there any good websites anyone can recommend?! Ones that do student discount are much appreciated although a sneeky feeling says this'll be unlikely!), do i need a different one for the inside and the outside?! and how much will finish the job?! I dont really wanna be spending a fortune on it as i'm a student!

Any and all help is always MUCH appreciated!

Many thanks!!!

Ian

Hi - we finished the outside of our propsector with epoxy and then Ronseal polyurethane exterior varnish. Been absolutely fine so far, tho' the polyurethane is not the hardest finish, so scratches, but not too bad. Cost was very moderate!

Things to consider:
    Are you leaving it outdoors (ie does the finish need to be UV stable)
    How long is it gonna be in the water? Finish on a boat permanently in the water is a different thing from a day boat!

Can you not just put several layers of epoxy coating on it? I've done that very successfully on many bits of wood on boats.
    Chris

Sheffield when it's Term time, Manchester area when it's not!

Hi again!

It'll probably be stored outside although it might fit in the shed, (not sure yet as I'm making it at my parents house! damn students eh?! ) And although it'll probably be on the water for a number of days at any one time it'll be safely tucked away between outings! Would a coating in two part polyester resin do the trick do you think as ive seen this for sale at reasonable prices! People have said it's a no go for building a canoe with but ive not considered it as a varnish! Is this the stuff you're talking about Willpower?!

Cheers again!

Ian

Hi - I don't think the polyester will stick to the epoxy very well.

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=28

that's what we used. Has UV protection which is good. Dead cheap.#

You can buy it at B&Q, homebase et al
    Last edited by Willpower; 10th-September-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Can you not just put several layers of epoxy coating on it? I've done that very successfully on many bits of wood on boats.
    Bad News: - Epoxies are not UV stable if left unprotected the stuff degrades (I don't know the exact details of the chemistry) - it turnes brownie-yellow and then doesn't stick to hardly anything.

"My questions are what CHEAP varnish should i get (and where can i buy it?! Are there any good websites anyone can recommend?!"

If you are on a budget (or not) you can get traditional yacht varnish here (marine quality)

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0141519

I have used this on my prospector "water weaver" build. I have so far only been on the water a total of around 15 hrs so cannot testify to the endurance of the product, but hey! at £5.99 per 750ml I can afford to use a few tins and keep on applying every now and then.

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by advent100 View Post
    "My questions are what CHEAP varnish should i get (and where can i buy it?! Are there any good websites anyone can recommend?!"

If you are on a budget (or not) you can get traditional yacht varnish here (marine quality)

http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/invt/0141519

I have used this on my prospector "water weaver" build. I have so far only been on the water a total of around 15 hrs so cannot testify to the endurance of the product, but hey! at £5.99 per 750ml I can afford to use a few tins and keep on applying every now and then.

Ed.

Hi Ed, can you describe the finish on your boat? So it's epoxy and tape for the joins, then just painted and then varnished on the outside?

No glass sheath and coat of expoxy (££!!) ?

I'm interested because when I'm at that stage I want to keep the costs of my build down (the canoe doesn't have to last forever!)

Stu

I used 'International' which is designed for yachts and has UV filters
    I think it cost me £12 for a tin which was just about enough (I think I put 3 coats on). The first coat I watered down as I was varnishing bare wood, this allowed it to be absorbed into the pores. My boat is stored indoors and after just over a year nothing has managed to get through it yet (although I am very careful with it and part of the hull is painted).

They sell it at Preston Marina, is that a bit far to travel? The good thing is though, they have loads of little booklets which tell you exactly what you need and how to do it. They do have an online shop but it doesnt list all the varnishes they have, maybe you could contact them, they very helpful Im sure they'd give you advice and pop some booklets in for you www.prestonmarina.co.uk

Hi there don't know whats available over there but when I varnished my kayak it was hard to stop each coat looks better and better. Put on a couple coats and just redo each season

Journal Entries

I like to use a varnish with good UV protection and relatively high polyurethane content (5% just ain't good enough). In the past I've paid about $20 a gallon and been satisfied with the product.
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Old thread I know! But my question is Varnish related-

I'm intending to paint my boat white, looking at International Varnish, it appears it has a golden tint. Does anyone know if there are any suitable varnishes that are clear (epifanes?).

Another query is how much would I need to do my Raven 15' 7" inside and out (about 3 coats?)

Thanks

Dean

Sorry if this is a silly question but are you thinking of putting varnish over paint?

If so why?

Quote Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
    Sorry if this is a silly question but are you thinking of putting varnish over paint?

If so why?

Yes, to be honest I hadn't thought about paint over the varnish, I just assumed that it would be better protected under varnish. I'll be varnishing the interior and most of the exterior over bare wood, just the ends will be painted.

It struck me that the varnish would not stick well to the glossy paint as well as causing some discolouration.

Varnish can be masked off and the gloss on the surface taken off with some wet and dry and then painted.

Ahh, Thanks, I wasn't thinking of gloss either, just some Matt with a varnish over the top! But of course I could just use gloss over the varnish.

Anyone know how much varnish I'll need?

Journal Entries

Look in the automotive (re) painting lines.... Most of them have also plastic-specific product lines that bond perfectly over almost anything, including ultra-clear varnishes PU based that will not change the base coat of paint.

Not sure about names there in UK, but Lazzuril/Lazzurdur are two of the Sherwin-Williams brands for auto-painting here...
    Tony BR
    www.companhiadecanoagem.com.br
    www.canoacanadense.com.br/english.htm
    Past 20 years teaching Biology!
    Next 20 building Canoes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Old thread I know! But my question is Varnish related-

I'm intending to paint my boat white, looking at International Varnish, it appears it has a golden tint. Does anyone know if there are any suitable varnishes that are clear (epifanes?).

Another query is how much would I need to do my Raven 15' 7" inside and out (about 3 coats?)

Thanks

Dean
    Coverage rates for Varnish are 8 - 10 sq mtr's per litre. I normally thin the 1st Coat, so it will go further.

Water based varnishes don't look golden, and are the only choice over White. However there are not many that are for exterior use - Rustins is one of the few I know of
    http://www.rustins.eu/Results1.asp?Category=2