Thread: Cheap meths cookset - Lidll

Default Cheap meths cookset - Lidll

Thought some of you might be interested in this:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pa...r_Cookware.ar2

Priced at 8.99, it doesn't appear to be bad value and goes on sale from next Thursday in their "Specials" section.

Soggy

Nice one Soggy,

I bought a set last year or maybe it was the year before as a back up for my Trangia but have never actually used it out in the field.

The pan stand is just wide enough to hold a 6/8 cup Italian type expresso maker over the flame which I occasionally use when where eating out in the garden.

At 8 they're probably worth it just for the pans, even if some people don't like aluminium. Andy

Default ldl

thanks soggy for the pointer, i will definitely like to try this type of stove.up to now i have been gas dependant!!! w
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

just been looking at these can't really see the difference between this and the 45-50 Trangia is there one?
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

Quote Originally Posted by bbDave View Post
    just been looking at these can't really see the difference between this and the 45-50 Trangia is there one?
    Trangia sets are much better quality and more strongly built. If you think you would be using this a lot I would look at the more expensive genuine version. If you are a BCU member you can get a Trangia for less than 40 from Cotswold.

Probably worth it if you are only planning the occaisional camp though. Or you cold make a burner from a coke can and use a bent coathanger as a pot stand all for free...

Chris
    "All right" said Eeyore "We're going. Only don't blame me"

www.canoepaddler.me.uk

These are fine things, perhaps slightly heavier than the equivalent trangia - but there's no need to be precious about them...

I scored one a while back and as I already had a cheap Coleman Alpine (epi), I started thinking...
    First dismantle the alpine

Make some bent bits of rod.

Assemble thus

And Go

Dual fuel (meths and gas) stormproof cooker for under a tenner

south lanarkshire on east ayrshire boarder p.s. its scotland

Default lidl stoves

picked up 2 today ..thanks for the heads up. One for my youngest lad and one to do the same as dougR .great minds think alike...look ok for the price! My working stove is the non stick version with folding msr tool set.
    love alot, trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

If you don't already have a suitable gas burner to use:
    Markill

Or you could hunt up the real thing.

I got one so will see how much i need or use it i'm sure everything will stick to it so may just use it for boiling wet stuff.
    Many shores i have sailed to in my canoe,often against strong winds.Choose the tree well my brother if it is to carry you to distant shores. :- Chief Dan George

I picked one up on way home, looks ok, only planned occasional use. Er hang on did I say ok its 9 quid for the love of cabbage!! 9 QUID!!!.

I used to think i was in love and then i bought a Supernova

i brought one of these two year ago as back up to my MSR well good for the price £6.99
    metal is not as good as the trangias but still does the job well.I will be up grading to the real thing this year got my eye on the stainless steel version
    Last edited by wet willy; 13th-September-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Bought one of these today as well, also got the folding spade they are selling too. cookset looks good and the better set of pans we already have fit into it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by wet willy View Post
    ...I will be up grading to the real thing this year got my eye on the stainless steel version
    The Trangia Duosil pots are excellent and I well recommend them.
    Chris

Strangely I picked one up too - for the price I couldn't buy a set of pots anywhere else and as it's only for occasional use (I've already got a Svea 123 Climber, an old Primus 96 and an Optimus Nova!) it looks like a good deal.

I might go for one of those gas cookers that fit inside - especially as the Lidl set has a nice big hole to fit the gas hose through!

Soggy

PS No I'm not sad, I just can't help buying the occasional stove!!!!!!

If there's a chemist in the house.

What about Lidl's windscreen de-ice (good to -70c), as fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    If there's a chemist in the house.

What about Lidl's windscreen de-ice (good to -70c), as fuel?
    Not a clue, however everytime I go to France I pick a bottle of Alcohol de Bruler (available in most supermarkets) which is about 2 euros for 1.5litres. It's dirt cheap and works a treat.

PS. I got the tip from Chris Randall - cheers Chris

Default meths set

the local tramps have beat me to em, probably just as well !!