Thread: Questions For Ray Mears

Question Questions For Ray Mears

I am lucky enough to have been invited to "an evening with Ray Mears" at the end of September.

Anybody got any questions they would like me to ask him on their behalf?

lancashire nr river ribble if any 1s up that way give me a shout

yes ask him ,what came first the chicken or the egg?
    which horses to have a bet on at weekend?
    and the saturday lotto numbers would be good too, failing to answer them questions maybe u could ask how he managed in his last series to carry the 7 or 8 dutch ovens he had hung up on a huge pot rail into the woods?and does he carry his flint n steel with him when he goes to the sweet shop?if he manages to answer the second 2 questions please message me str8 away and dont tell any1 else the answers.

Wink courses

hi there,
    booked on one of his ardeche trips next year, can you ask him why they and his other courses are so expensive!!! understand that we all have to make a living but i thought people like ray would be different.
    Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by h2o View Post
    yes ask him ,what came first the chicken or the egg?
    That's easy; the egg. Whatever laid the egg was not quite a chicken yet. Can I have a TV show now?

PS: Never bet on a horse with a wooden leg...
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

H2O - Your answers:
    a team made up of a geneticist, philosopher and chicken farmer claim to have found an answer. It was the egg.
    Put simply, the reason is down to the fact that genetic material does not change during an animal's life.
    Therefore the first bird that evolved into what we would call a chicken, probably in prehistoric times, must have first existed as an embryo inside an egg.
    The living organism inside the eggshell would have had the same DNA as the chicken it would develop into.
    "Therefore, the first living thing which we could say unequivocally was a member of the species would be this first egg," he added. "So, I would conclude that the egg came first." - Professor John Brookfield
    ------------------
    None of them - you should be in the wilderness somewhere not at the horses
    ------------------
    Lotto numbers for Saturday will be 3,17,42,23,35,6 - if they come up lend Foggy some money for his trip
    ------------------
    Camera Crew
    ------------------
    Of course! dont you? - besides he must be in the sweet shop so often that he needs to be prepared for all eventualities such as having to camp out until the next batch of Cola Bottles is delivered.
    -----------------

Default Foggy your answer

See H2O's answers - Its the sweet habit. You dont think he maintains his figure through wild mushrooms and fish do you?

Talking I See !!!!!!!!!

thanks for the enlightment, i will take a pack of sweets with me and ask for money off
    Foggy

He does seem like a rather portly guy for "wilderness man".
    Lloyd

thanks for the answers im now a lot wiser than i was this morning.although saying i should be in the wilderness instead of at the horses is crazy if i know which ones are gonna win !!!,i could fund a trip to cross canada by canoe with the proceeds, and if ive got the winning lotto numbers i wanna watch it on tv.As it stands ill probably take the canoe out on the ribble at weekend and ponder on the egg theory whilst carrying a flint and steel loads o sweets and 36 ltrs of coca cola just in case i get a tad thirsty.

and to answer foggys question on why are ray,s courses so expensive.have u seen the prices in a sweet shop lately?

On the edge of a large city by a large loch

Default Ray Mears

The rumour goes that Ray Mears will be marketing...

Wait for it...

Tracker Bars or something similar and will retire to a remote tribe made up of traditional canoests and bushcrafters as his subservient minions where he will increase his size and command woodland domination from an abandoned group buy teepee up some West Coast river...

Hmmmmm maybe he was the inspiration for Kurtz or Heart of Darkness If only Conrad discovered him before we did!
    Last edited by woodsmoke; 4th-September-2007 at 05:31 PM.
    Expand your mind there's plenty space for it...

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    That's easy; the egg. Whatever laid the egg was not quite a chicken yet. Can I have a TV show now?

PS: Never bet on a horse with a wooden leg...
    What about a horse with four good legs but was given a wooden leg as a novelty present. Yeah, I know_ who the hell gives horses novelty presents.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Future Lottery numbers - Let me know how conviningly he answers and I may actually buy a ticket.

Does he have any pets?

Does he button & zip or zip & button.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

When will the purely canoe based tv series be finished

Will he come to my daughters 9th birthday party and cook bannock? Shes his biggest, small fan!

Nige

My Question(s) would be:
    I've just been offered 4 sides of venison for 150 is that too deer?
    and more seriously:
    Although it's probably quite a way off where are you planning on retiring to and why?. Mike B..
    You only have the one life so live it

Default Lost faith

Yes, despite having spent the last 10 yrs (at least) being a big fan of Rays, and one xmas not too long ago, defended his honour and good name in the face of criticism and derision, It almost came to blows, let me tell you, (the rest of the pub thought it hilarious) My opponent was a philistine....

I have lost my faith.....

Chris Evans reported on his radio show (BBC R2, 5 to 7pm) that he recently saw Ray in........A RESTAURANT!

Frankly, I'm a Broken man.
    I'm going to lie down in a dark room.

Ps, if theres any chance you could obtain a scrap of his clothing, for my shrine.........

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post

Chris Evans reported on his radio show (BBC R2, 5 to 7pm) that he recently saw Ray in........A RESTAURANT!
    The art of survival and foraging is to be at one with your surroundings and utilise all available resources.
    If that happens to be the local Chip Shop or restaurant then so be it.
    I Started out with nothing! and i still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    What about a horse with four good legs but was given a wooden leg as a novelty present. Yeah, I know_ who the hell gives horses novelty presents.

TGB
    My old horse routinely got presents. One was a fly swatter/ ear cover that was a size or two too big. I called it his donkey costume.

He also got the occasional pint of Lager with his oats which was fine as I was am Ale man myself.
    Lloyd

Quote Originally Posted by FOGGY View Post
    hi there,
    booked on one of his ardeche trips next year, can you ask him why they and his other courses are so expensive!!! understand that we all have to make a living but i thought people like ray would be different.

I did the Ardeche trip a few years ago and i was a bit disapointed with it
    for starters the place is full of torists in plastic boats. There was no bushcraft even though the broucher said there was.
    One of the instructers was very unprofesianel.
    And on the last night when you got your free meal courtacy of woodlore
    the starters were pree orderd and you got cheep wine while the people runing things were on the baileys.

This is just my opinion and my experiance of the cource .

went with him to the arctic for 2 weeks a number of years ago, when he was on the telly but not to the extent he is now. it was expensive but worth it, the experience gained meant that I now go back to arctic sweden for a weeks dog sledding expedition thing every year.

Have looked at his similar trips now and they are way out of my league price wise - and he doesn't take part himself.

When I went with him a friend asked me to ask him ' why are his hands always so clean when he's on the telly grubbing about.'
    He said that he was pleased someone thought so as he usually got asked ' why don't you get ill, preparing food with filthy hands.'

I have to confess the whole Ray Mears thing has almost passed me by (the joys of no TV) I'd pass him in the street and not know what he looks like.

But it would be wrong to say I'm not aware of what he does, He seems to have become a cultural phenomenon. And I have heard a couple of interviews he has given on the radio and was pleasantly surprised to hear that he sounded genuine and down to earth.

I'm not sure I'm happy about the fact his proggrames seem to inspire the great unwashed to march of into the countryside, hack bits of trees, build shelters (using bits of plastic because they don't have time) light fires and leave all the mess behind them. But people did that before any outside influence, so if his proggrames have made people stop to think about consequences, that would be a good thing.

I'd like to know what sort of holidays he has with his kids, do they all canoe?

I think he has done well to make a living out of his passion for the outdoors. Not many people manage that level of success.

Lloyd,
    I used to have a horse that had very long ears, when it was being awkward I'd just mutter the word 'Donkey' and it'd be in a huff for the rest of the day.
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

what have I started? It seems that, in this forum, I have stumbled across a collection of unstable, confused individuals who have plenty of pent up rage associated with a dislike of the modern way of life....

I`ll fit right in.
    ------------
    "A tie is but a noose and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless"

Quote Originally Posted by Silvergirl View Post
    so if his proggrames have made people stop to think about consequences, that would be a good thing.
    I always get the feeling that he never shows too much responsibility in this regard. He goes off and demonstrates all sorts of 'bushcraft' stuff in Finland or wherever with never a mention about whether it's appropriate to do the same thing in the highly (over-) used British setting, or in different habitats. I'm not saying he should be preachy, I'd just prefer a bit of subtle discussion on how the same thing in different environments may have different consequences.

So I guess there's my question: do you think that you put sufficient effort into discussing responsible and sustainable use of the environment and how that varies with with different habitats and locations? For example, what can be done in a fertile location in southern England may take years to repair in a more marginal environment such as the NW Highlands - even though the population pressure in the south is much higher.

Ian

TV shows are sold all over the world, would you really watch an entire episode full of the legal ramifications of fire lighting in every possible geographical context? You don't see dozens of national health and safety warnings covering every possible viewer location in a DIY show do you? Even if you did the idiots would still ignore them - just be grateful that there's some watchable TV among the "reality" shows.
    Last edited by Kane; 5th-September-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Came too aggressive - sorry

I think he's a really great guy and he has had to cope with some real sadness in his life recently. I'm a big fan

Having said that, I do think his courses and woodlore stuff are overpriced and I think that feels a bit at odds with the kind of guy he is and what he stands for.
    PWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kane View Post
    TV shows are sold all over the world
    True, fair point, but that doesn't have to dictate every single aspect of programme content.

would you really watch an entire episode full of the legal ramifications of fire lighting in every possible geographical context?
    ...which is exactly why I said 'subtle' discussion. He doesn't have to labour every single point, but I can't say I remember him ever really talking about whether what he's doing can ever have a downside. Or saying why you shouldn't do something.

There have been several posts on here about coming across 'bad bushcraft' like like saplings cut at waist height which then formed rooted spears. That's just one example of the sort of thing he could easily mention, but rarely if ever does. If he wants to promote bushcraft, there has to be an obligation to do it responsibly, which means steering folk away from bad practice.

When you write this sort of thing it comes across as dull, worthy TV, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be done by an enthusiastic, professional TV communicator, which is what he is.

just be grateful that there's some watchable TV among the "reality" shows.
    everything else may be cp, but that's no reason to accept without comment something cos it's "just a little cp".

I went on my first canoe trip, inspired by Ray Mears TV programme.

Question/s for Ray: Can you describe your 'most' serene outdoor moment?

Can you???

Smile trip

well i do feel that his courses are expensive but i say that about almost everything in life today. its just when you consider the other costs of getting to the place, your food and providing your own tent it is pricey....but in saying all that i do know the area is stunning and that the coach ray goodwin is brill. i hope ray mears does go on the first trip as he went on one of then this year.... anyway its canada in 2009. anyone that has done the trip could they post some pics for emma and i to look at?

as for ray himself, well if i get the chance i have a thousand questions for him and i for one am a massive support of what he is trying to do and how he is trying to live...
    Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    but I can't say I remember him ever really talking about whether what he's doing can ever have a downside. Or saying why you shouldn't do something.
    IIRC he's commented in a few programs (I think it was ones in the UK) that you need to get permission and be careful about siting fires also cleaning up after yourself. He's also said that taking a branch (a living branch) from a tree obligates you to take it in a way that leaves the tree able to heal itself in the most efficient way

Quote Originally Posted by sunadal View Post
    There have been several posts on here about coming across 'bad bushcraft' like like saplings cut at waist height which then formed rooted spears.
    That's not bushcraft (good or bad) it's an idiot cutting down a tree, just because you cut down a tree, make a fire or camp doesn't make you a bushcrafter

Quote Originally Posted by Perthshire Wood Canvas View Post
    I do think his courses and woodlore stuff are overpriced and I think that feels a bit at odds with the kind of guy he is and what he stands for.
    I don't think he's ever claimed to stand for cheap courses or kit lol - face it, a company will charge what people are prepared to pay for anything and you can't really blame them if you don't want to pay over the odds go somewhere else

Default I'm starting to worry about Ray...

I feel a little responsible after starting off this discussion so I would just like to chip in here and say that I have watched at least one episode which was set in British woodland. In this episode he did say something along the lines of making sure that you have sought permission...blah,blah...More importantly he said to bear in mind that what may have little impact in other countries could seriously affect the man made and sometimes finely balanced environment in Britain.

In his bushcraft series I`m pretty sure he regularly stresses the importance of leaving nothing behind and damaging the environment as little as possible.

I feel that he encourages an awareness of the fragile nature of our planet and that there are always going to be immitators of any sport/pastime/activity that dont take the important messages on board.

For example I fish on a regular basis, I enjoy it but really it is just another excuse to get out in the "wilderness". I take great care to not leave items of fishing tackle - especially nylon line behind and it infuriates me when I come across carelessly discarded birdsnests of fishing line etc. The vast majority of anglers that I meet are responsible in this way but the minority tarnish the reputation of the others. This I am sure is the same in all outdoor activities and I dont think we can blame the uncaring minority on Ray!

And after all that, here is a dancing chicken - ??
    ------------
    "A tie is but a noose and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless"

when I was away with him I was at that time an EA fisheries bailiff and when we were talking about the various ways he teaches on his courses for taking fish I had to point out that many were illegal ( the most obvious being a 'set line' where a baited hook is is tied to a tree or similar and thrown into the river overnight ) - we used the method through the ice in sweden where it is legal- and punishable by fines of many thousands of pounds. When I got back I sent him copies of the relevent legislation and now his books have a paragraph stating ' check local rules/laws etc before using any of these techniques etc.

whens the xmas special with Nigella Lawson on the fetishisation of cooking and eating coming out? its like soft core pawrn watching those two I tell ye!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquanaut View Post
    its like soft core pawrn watching those two I tell ye!
    soft prawn, surely

Exclamation

IIRC he's commented in a few programs (I think it was ones in the UK) that you need to get permission and be careful about siting fires also cleaning up after yourself. He's also said that taking a branch (a living branch) from a tree obligates you to take it in a way that leaves the tree able to heal itself in the most efficient way

That's not bushcraft (good or bad) it's an idiot cutting down a tree, just because you cut down a tree, make a fire or camp doesn't make you a bushcrafter

I don't think he's ever claimed to stand for cheap courses or kit lol - face it, a company will charge what people are prepared to pay for anything and you can't really blame them if you don't want to pay over the odds go somewhere else

dont agree with you kane, not everyone and not every company charge over the odds! i guess its about values and thats something that is lacking in modern day britain. (not all mind). but you are right, people including myself pay over the odds because we are prepared to, doesnt make it right though... one thing i would say about the course is i havent had to put it together so for all i know it may be good value for money...
    Foggy

Default ray

hello beavo,you have for sure and certain started an interesting thread/debate.it has brought out the mans fans and ....the no so much fans as critics types.interested to see you try to answer the questions you were to relay to ray too?just one question for him....and no to upset him please make this kinda observation like.fact is some of his fans and others seem to have trouble differentiating the "bushcraft"element of his television shows and courses from the"survival" aspect.maybe he needs to emphasise the fact that although there are common areas they are in reality not really the same thing.so the question would go;hello ray i think the survival training aspect of your teachings to be priceless ie make fire ,find food and shelter, navigate.......the other stuff ie how to whittle a spoon ,select overpriced scandinavian axe,tents sleeping bags etc...not quite so...ok big man lets split the difference and you make all your future courses and your gear halfprice or less and we will say no more about it! w
    "Every action of our lives touches on
    some chord that will vibrate in eternity"

Edwin Hubbel Chapin

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    My Question(s) would be:
    and more seriously:
    Although it's probably quite a way off where are you planning on retiring to and why?. Mike B..
    Whoa! Too deer for me!
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

Default some answers...from me

Hi,

I have been asked (I think) to answer some of the questions that I am supposed to ask Ray.

A selection below:

Most serene outdoor moment would probably be on a camping safari in Africa. We were staying by the beach in Mozambique and myself and my good mate had dug ourselves out of our sleeping bags early to watch the stunning sun rise whilst having a coffee. The water was beautifully calm and it was quiet and peacful before the rest of the camp had risen. I turned to Andrew and, being the perfectionist I am, said "you know what would make this the perfect moment mate? - we need dolphins" I had only just finished the sentence when a lone dolphin surfaced just off the beach. We couldn't believe it and I`m sure the moment will never be forgotten by either of us.

Try and wrap up a few questions in one below:

As regards Rays trips being pricey - I guess it entirely depends on what he does with the money. If he spends it all on the sweets (see earlier) then I would begrudge paying. On the other hand, if you are going to take people into unspoilt wilderness areas, surely if they are to last more than a year or two in the unspoilt state the trips need to be expensive or too many people would travel to that area...Just imagine the catastrophy that waits when Easyjet start doing trips to the Arctic!

The late (and great in my opinion) Steve Irwin made a huge amount of money from acting like a tit on TV. He put a HUGE proportion of this back into conservation work in his native Oz and elsewhere. He lived a fairly modest lifestyle considering his celebrity status and I do not begrudge him making money at all.

Regarding holidays....

I love to experience new places and cultures. Whilst I am not the biggest fan of cities I still experience Wunderlust even when I have a forthcoming city trip - which hasnt been for a while now. The important bit for me is the newness of the experience. Favourite trips (for differing reasons) would be the Africa trip mentioned above and my time in New Zealand. My last trip abroad was to Andalucia an area I didnt know much about before. As long as you can get away from the other tourists and get out in the countryside this is a fantastic wilderness considering how easily accessible it is. There is one thing that travel will always do and that is force you to learn about your home. You can't see the wood for the trees when you are in the wood...

Lastly, I confess to being seen in the occasional restaurant because my girlfriend makes me but I would rather eat by cooking a fresh trout which I have just caught on a dry fly on the fire beside the river in which it was caught. Could never taste finer food than this.

If there were any specific questions you wanted me to answer...

I will try and ask Ray as many of your questions as possible without getting asked to leave and will post replies here after...some of them might actually be what he said.
    ------------

Default canoe camping

i know ray may not be the authority on canoe camping?travel but with his background in outdoors/tv and presenting could you please ask him if he would ever consider doing a doc about the above... i think this would be very popular. you know the thing, loading boats with gear, pitching camp, cooking food that you have carried with you etc etc tell ray i would gladly be a guinea pig for him.

and finally, whats his lattest project for the tv?

safe fun paddling
    Foggy

will do foggy- I`m going to have to take a rather large notebook!

BTW - has anybody been watching the repeat of Ray's "wild food" series on the BBC?

I really had forgotten how important your choice of travelling companion can be...I`m not sure useful Gordon would be in a survival situation
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by FOGGY View Post
    i know ray may not be the authority on canoe camping?travel but with his background in outdoors/tv and presenting could you please ask him if he would ever consider doing a doc about the above... i think this would be very popular. you know the thing, loading boats with gear, pitching camp, cooking food that you have carried with you etc etc
    You mean like a Ray Mears Canoe Journey

http://www.raymears.com/shop_item_de...&itemType=DVDs

He could even take along Ray Goodwin for a companion

Certainly it would be good to see more along those lines.
    John

Wink canoe dvd

yea thats a great dvd and i have watched it loads of times but i think it would be really good to see loads more canoe videos out on the shelves.. you can always find kayak and sea kayak stuff but we are sadly lacking in the canoe stacks. i think the two rays should get together and make some films about paddling in the uk and then i'll think of some more for them to do!!!
    Foggy

Default woodlore courses expensive?

yes they are, but worth every penny

i've attended 4 woodlore courses in the past 12 months, and each was very special indeed, you get your monies worth, the food is usually amazing (especially in the Arctic) and your getting the very best tuition available, the course leaders are all personal freinds of Mears so have been well vetted.

In france you'll get Ray Goodwin - nobody can paddle a canoe like this man and he's a great teacher

In Sweden you get Lars Falt, if you could pick anyone you wanted to teach you Arctic survival you defo want this guy, taught the swedish forces for 20 years, has trained special forces from all over the world, he knows all the locals and he's a decent bloke

In th UK you'll usually get the apprentice instructors from what i've seen but dont let that deter you, they are all well trained and confident in what they are doing.

Now compare that to a Bison Bushcraft course i did last year

The food was shite, the instructors were a bit unfriendly and to be honest i just didnt get that magical feeling i do when our with woodlore, but i was cheaper.

Trust me people, if you want to go on a bushcraft course then you wont go wrong with Woodlore, you will probably bump into Mears at some point along the way as well, he;s been on 50% of the courses i've done with them, not that it makes the difference though, just nice to get your photo taken with him!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    He does seem like a rather portly guy for "wilderness man".
    He's a twig compared to me. If I had two of him, I'd have the right utensils to eat my Chinese food with.

Default The Answers (well some of them!)

Thats right, last night I went to see the venerable Mr Mears and indeed (some) of your questions were indeed answered. First however, I would like to say something about the presentation and the man himself.

This is the first time I have been lucky enough to hear Ray speak in person and I do indeed feel that it was an honour. It is difficult to get an impression of what a person is like from a TV programme or even from a book, but stick them in front of a hundred plus people all keen to ask the most searching question, and you will get some inkling of what makes them tick. Unless of course they are an MP...

Ray presented a slideshow of some of his favourite photos from his travels and talked about his many experiences in an open and frank way. I must say that having a more than passing interest in photography myself, I was very impressed with some of the images and even more so by the clear way Ray managed to express what they meant to him. There was of course an element in his presentation of passing on a meaningful message. Those of you who have followed his work will understand that Ray cares deeply about the loss of knowledge from one generation to the next mainly due to the corrupting of people's way of life through "outside" influences. It came across very strongly that Ray is truely passionate about this and does what he can to help whilst being very conscious of not becoming one of the "corrupters". At the end he was asked "what can we do in Britain to prevent losing our bushcraft knowledge altogether" I think the way in which he replied to this question showed just how much it hurts him. He seemed honestly frustrated to have to say "I don't think we can do much" most of the knowledge has been lost already and we will never get it back."

A lot of us would probably think of Ray as a survival expert, a bush craft man and perhaps a bit of an historian. Having heard this presentation it has confirmed in my mind that we must also add to this the description "student of people". I resist using the term anthrapologist here (mainly because I`m not sure of the spelling ) because Ray seemed to be one of those people who is genuinely interested in people. Not in pigeon-holing them under the latest theory, but in getting to know them as individuals. It was touching to hear him talk about some of the great friends he has made around the world - many of which he maintains contact with. He came across as a truely open minded individual, willing to accept other ways of doing things for what they are. We can all learn from others and in my opinion, if more people could approach life and, in particular, other people the way that Ray has done through his work, then the world would be a more peaceful place.

In saying all of the above, I do not wish to somehow give the impression that Ray came across as some kind of superior being. This was not the case at all. In fact when he first appeared on stage I think he seemed a little humbled by the greeting he received and he quickly launched into his presentation which obviously provided him with some comfort in what seemed to be a slightly uncomfortable environment for him. In leaving the stage, it was a case of a simple thank you and goodbye and he actually tripped over a stage light on the way off which for me only added to the impression I got of him as a normal down to earth person.

The bit you have all been waiting for:

There was a question and answer session at the end of Rays presentation and I did manage to wave my hand frantically enough to get a question answered myself. Many of the others you guys mentioned were at least in part answered via the questioning of other audience members.

A similar question to the "most serene moment" mentioned in previous posts was asked and he found it difficult to give a definitive answer. He has obviously experienced many. He did however hint that one of his favourite places (and favourite peoples) is the taiga forest (Siberia) and the nomadic reindeer herders the Evenk - forgive me Ray if I am misquoting you.

Unfortunately, I did not manage to ask Ray's opinion on the Chicken and Egg debate but my impression is that his answer to the famous "which came first...?" would be something along the lines of "Does it matter which came first? as long as we don't eat the last egg...or last chicken (if it hasn't laid yet)." (I could be wrong on this).

Many of you will be happy to hear that Ray ended is excellent presentation by saying that he often gets asked where he goes on holiday. If I didn't know better I would have said his answer was for the benefit of myself and the other forum members here- he likes nothing better than to take a Canoe on an extended trip to the likes of Ontario. Given the fact that he could have no way of knowing that I was there, (you're not reading this are you Ray?) coupled with the fact that he had some stunning photos to accompany this answer - I was quite satisfied to hear him say that.

He also fielded some rather disappointing questions from the audience. There were about three different versions of the same question basically "when have you feared most for your own safety". The answer, which to some dreaming of crocs and bears may have been a bit disappointing, was "when I was in a helicopter that crashed". The photos he had shown during the presentation of the crumpled wreckage should have been enough answer this question. By the way, Ray is filming again this year with the cameraman who was also in that crash, for the first time in three years. After three years of rehabilitation from 2 broken legs and several crushed vertebrae I think this cameraman deserves a mention here.

Regarding the cost of his trips, sorry but I let you down there...I didnt manage to get to that, though I did think that the evening I attended was extremely good value.

Oh and I didn't manage to find out his favourite sweets - but he does like a tipple of the old single malt...

Alas I`m afraid I have to leave this post for now and I must apologise if any of your questions remain unanswered - I was competing with quite a few people!
    ------------

Glad to hear it was a good night. I have seen Ray speak and would agree that when you see him you get the impression of a normal man who is passionate about what he does and who would probably prefer not to be in the spotlight as much but has to to get his message across.
    John

Now compare that to a Bison Bushcraft course i did last year

The food was shite, the instructors were a bit unfriendly and to be honest i just didnt get that magical feeling i do when our with woodlore, but i was cheaper.

Hello
    Roger from Bison Bushcraft here. Every now and then I have a trawl through the forums to see if anybody has talked about us and in my trawlings I found this post, so please forgive me if I'm re-kindling an old thread.

I'm quite suprised at these comments as we always ask for feedback positive or negative at the end of each course as feedback helps us to improve the service we offer. Anything that comes back is noted and acted on. Part of what does suprise me about these comments is that we always get positive feedback about our food and have never had any complaints about our staff. I do understand peoples reluctance to comment face to face but we are open to comment anytime and our number and email are very visible on the website.

However I do regret That you didn't enjoy your time with us Mr Naked Firemaker so I ask this. If you will post your name and the date you attended your course I'm very willing to offer you another bushcraft weekend with us free of charge and perhaps you'll enjoy our food and company more.
    I do regret that we will not be able to offer the same feelings as you would get from a woodlore course as we are a completely different organisation.

Roger
    Last edited by Chrish; 4th-January-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: quotes

The question the family always ask is 'has he lit a fire yet?'

It appears to be a rule that a fire must be lit within 5 minutes of the start of the program. It's a better bet than the lottery.

Philip

Smile thank you

beavo

thank you very much for the insight into what seems like a very enjoyable evening! very glad to hear that you found ray very intersting and honest, i would love to see him to but sadly no dates for the south of wales. (i live in hope LOL).
    kind regards
    tim h
    Foggy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
    My Question(s) would be:
    and more seriously:
    When two bullets would cost about 50p, 150 is a complete rip off !!!
    Owners Club.

I would like to know what size camper he stays in when filming ?
    Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    When two bullets would cost about 50p, 150 is a complete rip off !!!
    It was a pun!!.
    But actually it's very cheap!!, if you were to go stalking for Roe you would pay an average of 100. Then you would have to pay for the Venison at gamedealer prices if you wanted the carcass, about another 100 x 2 which already equates to 300 so far, and 2 rounds suitable for Deer at 50p you must be rolling your own. Mike B...
    You only have the one life so live it

Chicken came first

Default Thanks for the definitive answer

Thanks Shinken. I'm glad you have cleared that one up to eloquently. Have you ever thought of joining a debating society?
    ------------

Quote Originally Posted by Driftwood View Post
    Yes, despite having spent the last 10 yrs (at least) being a big fan of Rays, and one xmas not too long ago, defended his honour and good name in the face of criticism and derision, It almost came to blows, let me tell you, (the rest of the pub thought it hilarious) My opponent was a philistine....

Frankly, I'm a Broken man.
    I'm going to lie down in a dark room.

Ps, if theres any chance you could obtain a scrap of his clothing, for my shrine.........
    was it the road kill cafe

cant remember the wood that is poiosonus if used as firewood it can poison you as its toxic ask him about it also . what the dif horsechestnuts and the edibile ones not got a clue