Thread: Llys-y-frn Reservoir

Default Llys-y-frn Reservoir

about as far west as you can go before getting your feet wet

Just called the reservoir for details of launching, its 7.50 for a day and 5.50 for an evening. you can only paddle if there are at least 2 of you and you also need to be covered for third party liabillity of 1,000,000. which, i was told that you need to show proof of before launching.
    the reservoir is a 250 acre manmade lake with good facilities and easy access.
    I am the author of my own mistakes.... and i have had a few best sellers!

Quote Originally Posted by yudaman View Post
    Just called the reservoir for details of launching, its 7.50 for a day and 5.50 for an evening. you can only paddle if there are at least 2 of you and you also need to be covered for third party liabillity of 1,000,000. which, i was told that you need to show proof of before launching.
    Sounds a bit extreme. Would BCU membership cover the insurance liability?

Biff
    'I can gather all the news I need on the weather report...'

about as far west as you can go before getting your feet wet

It does sound a bit steep, but, i dont know what the going rate is for getting afloat on a reservoir. I'm going to look into the insurence details.

Its a beautiful area and would really like to paddle the reservoir as its very close to me.
    I am the author of my own mistakes.... and i have had a few best sellers!

1,000,000 pretty standard liability; actually a bit low for present times. Maybe they only have minor repair works needed at this time. "I'm sorry but I notice you scuffed a bit of grass getting out and you kept hitting the water with that bat. If I could just take some details off you and we'll be in contact, once we know how much the Christmas party is going to cost."

Seriously, the yearly premium for such for a private individual, is in all likelyhood going to be pretty low.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 6th-March-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yudaman View Post
    It does sound a bit steep, but, i dont know what the going rate is for getting afloat on a reservoir. I'm going to look into the insurence details.

Its a beautiful area and would really like to paddle the reservoir as its very close to me.

Hmm is it owned by Welsh Water? If so it emerged in the Welsh Inland waterways inquiry by the sustainability committee that Welsh Water has a duty to promote access, 7.50 sounds quite bit to me when Bala is 3 if I remember correctly.
    ---
    This idiot got Redbaron into canoeing

Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Sounds a bit extreme. Would BCU membership cover the insurance liability?

Biff
    Here is the BCU page covering third party insurance. It seems that if you live in England, Scotland or Northern Ireland you are covered for 10 million via your membership. If you live in Wales ............ contact WCA via the link at the bottom of the page.
    Keith

I wonder did anymore info come to light on this water and its insurance requirements as I would like to try this place come the summer but not sure if its worth having to take down shorts and pants for.
    Hind sight is always 20/20

Blackbird,

Member ship of Canoe Wales now includes the necessary insurance (Basic memberhip is 28/year). See here.....

http://www.canoewales.com/i-live-in-...noe-wales.aspx

Hope that helps. Maybe see you on there sometime as I live near the reservour too.

Cheers
    and there I was thinking I was clever for learning how to paddle...my dog's been paddling for years, and without a canoe !!