Thread: Clywedog, Llyn

Default Clywedog, Llyn

Default December 2013 - update

Hi

Paddled the Llyn Clywedog earlier this month (Dec'13).

Started and finished at the Sailing Club (launch fee 5) (facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/pages/Cly...49554711735384 ), main website for the sailing club is down at present (http://www.clywedogsailing.org.uk/ ). Main contacts at the sailing club: Keith Rollinson, sailing club (01686 412631) or Simon Morris, canoe instructor (01686 411306). There is little or no mobile coverage up at the reservoir.

From the map in the sailing club [grid ref: 901879] there are essentially four main sections of the reservoir:

1. South of Bwlch y Glen Dam [grid ref: 921882] is generally a no-go area around to the main Clywedog Dam.
    2. Area immediately in front (east) of the sailing club ...is for sailing, canoeing etc.
    3. Area north-west of grid ref 897888 (Clywedog fishing club http://www.clywedogtroutfishing.co.uk/ & emergency phone when open) is essentially a priority area for the trout fishermen. Canoeist have used this area but make sure you steer clear of the fishermen (if in doubt ask at the club house). Fishing season finishes November I believe.
    4. Areas north and west of grid ref 887896 are no-go areas (not sure why).

Conditions were force 4 at the sailing club when we started and the wind increased as the day went on! ...we ventured north west from the club and found the narrow section just north of the club very challenging. Other canoeists on the reservoir walked out rather paddled back. Wind directions around the hills make for some interesting conditions when windy as it is quite exposed. Certainly makes sailing interesting ...my paddle sail was ripped out of hands!!

A very pretty and an excellent open water venue that was built circa 1966 and which helps regulate the flow of water into the Severn. Owners are Severn Trent Water Ltd. The Clywedog dam is/ used to be the tallest concrete dam in Britain at 236ft, 750ft long, and covering 615 acres.

Enjoy

Hi Buffers,
    I was in the other group, two of us, although white water kayakers have not had much experience in the art of the single blade. We found going very hard into the head wind, swamped one canoe that we were towing and said enough is enough. Bit of a shame really as I'm pretty sure the experienced paddles would have got round. The wind dropped off after you made it, typical.
    Attached is a photo all be it distant of a couple of your group.

Phil

and another.