Thread: GRRR - Idiots !

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Angry GRRR - Idiots !

I found this today on one of the loveliest points on the river.

What is is with some people ?
    Worse, given where it is, I'd have thought this 'outing' would have been supervised, in which case the leader is more of an idiot that the people being led by them.

This point is used for camping, and they allow a fire - and people have respected that luxury, for ages now, it's been in the same place: so whilst there is a bare patch from the fire, it's only one, and it's usually very tidy, just a small grey-ash patch. Today was subtly different - it took me ooh, all of about a tenth of a second to spot the difference.

This is not the main fire-pit, this was all of a a couple of meters away from it. That metal grid is about the size of an A4 sheet of paper.

About 5 mtrs away from that ^, I found this attractive pair below. Note the half used, then discarded insect citrus-coil thing. The stick has been whittled into a point. There were several like this. Bushcrafters, obviously.

Then we come to the main event.

What you can't see is the attractive melted plastic bottles shoved in under the foil-tray.

The green leaves are a hint as to what's next ...

Nice innit ?

<irony>
    I always find it useful to just snap off healthy branches in full leaf to then just leave around an ugly, untidy crap filled campfire site. After all, it's not like the tree needs them for anything, and I'm sure the torn bark won't let in too much infection, plus someone will tidy up, it's their job.

Actually, when you are off snapping those branches why not carve your initials into the bark, although you won't recognise it as such it's a tree called 'oak' so you'll need to cut really deeply or they won't show in it's nubby bark. Come to that, why bother even snapping the branches, why not get a load of old car tyres and diesel soaked rags, and have a really big fire, perhaps even burn the tree where it's standing.
    </irony>

No sign of anyone this morning, so hopefully something happened to them in the night.

... and no, sadly I didn't tidy this up, as I didn't have a bin bag with me this morning.

It is disgusting! If it is bushcraft folk they should be ashamed of themselves!

I saw a similar sight on a portage near the Grand Union Canal. Mind you you expect that sort of thing on a canal.

Quote Originally Posted by white_ensign View Post
    Mind you you expect that sort of thing on a canal.
    Not on the Basingstoke Canal you don't. You get a better class of people altogether on the Basingstoke Canal.
    Keith

You would think people would just sit those BBQ in a box things on a flat rock? I have used them on a table with a rock under them. I saw this type of thing in the peak district when I was there at a stone circle on summer solstice with family. Mostly new age people who were not so nature friendly.

In Canada the grass would grow back in a day or so but up in the UK hills the damage seemed more prolonged if not semi-permanent.
    Lloyd

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug...

I wish this sort of thing was a rare sight up here

I guess this is what happens when armchair bushcrafters are dragged from their chairs
    John

Shame.

One of the reasons I don't like the instant bbq's. I always think they should have fold up legs on the bottom to raise them off the floor, but I guess that would cost too much.

People though just don't seem to think that something hot will burn what it sits on, and you see a lot of this on campsites - the main reason for site owners preventing open fires on sites.

Mind you, dont get me started on fires. I hate any type of fire in woodlands. People always think its OK to take dead branches and burn them. Ever heard of deadwood habitat and woodland ecosystems?? Plus you are creating criminal damage to the owners property. Mmmm that felt better

Now that I have irritated bushcrafters, I shall go.

Last thing: hopefully the above damage will not put the owner off from having open fires on the site.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    You would think people would just sit those BBQ in a box things on a flat rock? I have used them on a table with a rock under them. I saw this type of thing in the peak district when I was there at a stone circle on summer solstice with family. Mostly new age people who were not so nature friendly.

In Canada the grass would grow back in a day or so but up in the UK hills the damage seemed more prolonged if not semi-permanent.
    I used an instant BBQ on my lawn, raised up on a couple of bricks. Still burned the grass though, and hasn't grown back yet.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Clay bricks transfer heat, try sandstone about 3 inches thick.
    Lloyd

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

All of 10 mtrs from this patch is the point itself, which is conveniently enough... a beach, made up of little stones, and washed clean by the tide twice a day.

I guess that's just 10 mtrs too far for some people.

I wouldn't mess about with bricks or stones, I'd suggest they just sat with them on their laps .

... but don't do that at home kids, it's deliberately bad advice, and aimed at nasty, stupid people only.

Learning outdoor skills is great, and done right can help people find and build self-esteem, teamwork, values, all kinds of things, not just 'how to do stuff', but if this was part of an organised event it's really very bad. Not only is is bad in terms of skills transfer (wot skilz ?), but what kinda attitude is this going to inculcate in the minds of the impressionable ?

There was quite a big area of flattened grass down there, (but there were geese grazing first thing, so the flattened grass could have been them) and what looked like may have been keel, or even canoe !!! marks in the gravel on the beach. The tide would have been right for an evening stop on Friday evening ...

I'm going to call the estate tomorrow and chat to them about it. The problem is that is maybe a bandit camp in which case ... that's it. Bad voodoo only.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey_pork View Post
    I wouldn't mess about with bricks or stones, I'd suggest they just sat with them on their laps .
    I've always liked the way you think.
    Lloyd

That is awful!

I too dont like instant BBQs or at least most of the people who use them. Either they don't give adequate space between the ground and the BBQ, give none and or then add to the things after the charcoal has died back, usually spilling over onto the ground. When stands are supplied, they tend to be twisted in skewers and not as stands. Then to cap it off; having seen the damage done by one burn, the next time they light-up, they'll move the thing, thus burning another patch of ground and so on.

As to the fire and other damage. If I said what I think about these miscreants, it wouldn't be printable on this site. The Bs!

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I will NEVER understand this behaviour!

To want to go out and enjoy the beauty, peace and tranqulity of the outdoors - and then destroy it for everyone/thing else....

When I rule the world (plans now in final phase) these people will be going into the same field as those smug geeks who work at PC World - don't patronise me - just sell me the damn mouse-pad!

KA-BOOOOOM!

If god had meant us to swim - he wouldn't have given us the support stroke...

Quote Originally Posted by WhyAyeMan View Post
    I've always liked the way you think.
    Thanks,

I wonder if that's what comes of having similar hats, and similar beards.

This is curious - when I was at college, we made a habit of winning the rowing races (the 'Bumps'). One of the customs for the winners is to burn an old boat, which we did on one of the college lawns. The grass would always grow back in a couple of months.

In Canada the grass comes back in days, in England the sheep ensure that it takes a long, long time.
    Lloyd

lancashire nr river ribble if any 1s up that way give me a shout

grass wouldnt grow back fast in the uk unless new turf or seed had been used ,where i have a bonfire out back of my house never grows backeven after being cleaned up id say it would take a few years to grow back naturally

Default Disposable BBQs

These are an absolute menace. In dry weather ( not much chance this year) people chuck them anywhere when they have finished. Now a common cause of Forest and grassland fires.
    In the National Park, a lot of Picnic tables had oblong holes burned in them by BBQs. When some fire damaged picnic tables were being renovated by Park Rangers, they inserted big lumps of local slate in the burned patches so that people could BBQ on that.
    Common practice by the Toerags now is to use the slate as a food prep area and light the barbie on the bare wood at the other end.

Angry Disposable

These bbqs is just another example of our selfish, greedy throw away society. They even wrap them in plastic!

The answer to the burning grass question is that the recovery depends on the deep roots being unharmed. This depends on the time and temparature of the fire. A burning boat would not be too bad, even an ordinary bonfire will not normally destroy the roots. The problem with these bbqs is that the charcoal (especially compressed bricketts) burn at a much higher temparature than wood (eg used for smelting).

Unfortunately many people have such a high income that they do not think it is worth buying a reusable bbq (with legs) and putting in a little effort to set it up when a reusable one is easier. "When we they ever learn"
    Will n Vicky