Thread: Wroxham Broad

Default Wroxham Broad

There is a public launching point at the back of Roys carpark, with in the Hoveton Riverside Park. You car drive to withen 20 feet of the platform and then park in the carpark.
    Best bet is to paddle upstream away from Hoveton and the crowds, towards Coltishall (Rising Sun pub is on the river bank there)

Bob
    Bob

Of lofty towers we dream,
    And to their hieghts aspire.

Default Wroxham Broad - You could do better

Wroxham Broad has a peculiar status being privately owned by local landowners and home of the Wroxham Sailing Club. Situated on the River Bure between Wroxham and Horning it has no public land access and signs at the river entrances will inform you it is private but does not exclude public navigation. It should not prove a problem for canoes as charges only apply to overnight mooring/anchorage. I agree with Bob H in that there are better places to canoe as the Bure can be quite busy with larger hire boats in their frantic desire to get to where they don't know where fast. And that is where the problem lies, it is only accessible by boat from Horning or Wroxham.

However, if your'e intent on seeing the Broad and are happy with boat traffic then the nearby Salhouse Broad and Little Hoveton Broad are also worth a visit which takes you almost into Horning with quite reasonable refreshment establishments.

Apart from looking at riverside properties in Wroxham/Hoveton the river either side of Wroxham Broad is lined by fairly mature woodland so tends to be shady without views. There is some wild life but limited because of the disturbance. Good place to see kingfishers though if you look into the branches about canoe eye height.

Sorry if this seems a bit negative and to add further insult, I have vever found Wroxham Broad to have any character whereas Salhouse has but not sufficient to compensate the river journey.
    Brian
    Not me!

I visit Wroxham Broad as the end of a trip from Horstead. There is a useful car park and launching strip at the botom left corner. On the way there are opportunitites for a snack break around Belaugh and a nice riverside cafe/restaurant just upstream of the bridge in Hoveton river right. It is only once you get below the bridge that it gets 'busy'. I agree the broad is less interesting than others but skirting the top edge is nice and then running the gauntlet of the sailing boats adds an element of trepidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
    There is a public launching point at the back of Roys carpark, with in the Hoveton Riverside Park. You car drive to withen 20 feet of the platform and then park in the carpark.
    Best bet is to paddle upstream away from Hoveton and the crowds, towards Coltishall (Rising Sun pub is on the river bank there)

Bob
    Not sure of the status of that car park. A mate and I got there early a few months ago (just as the security guard was unlocking the barriers) and he said we could not park there. Even said he would have to clamp us. The sign near the launch point was not clear ether. I e-mail Roys for clarification but got no reply. Obviously if you manage to launch unseen they won't know that you're canoeing. Dave