Thread: Willen Lake

Default Willen Lake

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Owned by Whitecap Watersports

Very easy and cheep hire boats:

Open Canoes (Old Town Ojibway),
    Sit-on-top kayas peddlos, etc (more info on the site)
    Various sailing dinghys

You can bring your own boats but you have to pay for the water

Cycle path running around the whole lake.
    Like almost anywhere in Milton Keynes it's next to a grid-road but surrounding trees make it less obvious

There has also recently been a 'High Ropes' course installed next to the lake and although I haven't had a go yet, it looks quite good fun.

If your in the area and have Children it's definately worth a look

George

Default Details from Whitecap leisure

Just had a reply from whitecap leisure regarding launching a canoe on Willen lake:-

You can launch your own canoe on the lake as long as you have 3rd party insurance or are a member of the British Canoe Union. All you need to do is to come into the watersports centre to sign on and pay the launch fee which is 5 for the day or 3 for a half day (12pm onwards). We are open 7 days a week at the moment between 9-6pm.

Its probably the only MK lake celebrated in song!
    I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
    I'm drunk and dirty, don't you know
    And I'm still
    Willen

Gets real busy on a summer weekend - and the the winter I've seen it freeze hard enough to drive a capri on..... but not off.

I can't really recommend Willen lake as it is somewhat commercial with the watersports centre, launching fee and general lack of quiet places to park up and launch your own canoe. Unless you don't have your own boat of course when the commercial hire facilities are useful.

On the other hand Caldecotte lake, also here in Milton Keynes, hosts canoeing, sailing and rowing clubs and is altogether more quiet and laid back, has quiet places to park up for a quick paddle, and is officially stated as being of free access and permitted for watersports.

Of note there are some other even nicer, quieter, lakes in Milton Keynes as well, but without official access.
    Happy paddling ,
    Rob.