Thread: Talkin Tarn

Default Talkin Tarn

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:36 PM.

We have walked round this with our dogs whilst camping in the borders, gave me a reason to think next time I will bring the canoe. Really nice place, you could probably paddle round it in an hour or so but theres a nice cafe, boat hire, a good walk round the outside with sculptures to look at, sailing club and a campsite.
    http://www.visitcumbria.com/car/talktarn.htm
    Regards Retro

Default No go

I wouldn't bother on one particular day in June( can't remember exact date) - we have 80 kids walking round it for 12 hours!

Default Just delightful

I fished there as a child and its woods still provide the best hide and seek venue you could wish for. Car park offers easy canoe access down a short slope to the lakeside. Check with the boathouse as there is a launching fee.

Like the look of that and it's in Cumbria. But only just.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

I've only been there once, I was about 12 and visiting my Uncle who lived in Cotehill. I thought it would be really funny to run up behind him and push him in

I got quite fit running away.

Barry

Default Funny that

Now there is a surprise- somebody chased you Coz you pushed them in- I would not have been able to run for laughing!
    GJ

I was at Talkin' Tarn not long ago.
    I asked if I could launch my canoe and was greeted with a friendly yes, as long as I had a BA for each crew member.
    6 per canoe.
    Scandalous in one sense but as a family day out, worth it methinks.
    Tony.

Default its okay but.............

I've been a few times with my son but to be honest, its okay a time or two but gets "samey" very quickly.
    The facilities are canny enough and they are happy to allow you to drop your boat off just behind the building, as long as you shift your car to the main carpark, once your unloaded.

The problem I have with this, is that you then have to pay another 2 on top of your access fee, to park the car! so 8 for what is,really,just a large pond.

To be honest; from this end of the country, I'd rather carry on past and on to Ullswater and Park Foot campsite, where they charge 4.50 all in for the day.

They also have a recurring issue with blue green algae,which means restrictions on dogs children etc.

regards

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

Tend to agree with RB. Been there a few times and it's ok for practice.

Never realised you have to pay though! Nobody ever asked me for money...

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Went up to Talkin Tarn on Saturday with my parents so they could walk the dogs. I took the OT pack for some practice of more subtle handling on still water to get a better feel for the boat and because I hate walking if I can avoid it. I had a pleasant time following them round the lake and practicing more precise control and balance than I have been in moving water. Tracked better than I tought, even into a headwind.

The parking fees aren't bad by Cumbrian standards. 1 for up to an hour, 2 for over an hour.

I just carried the boat because it's light and I can but I could have taken it round the back of the cafe to off-load.

As you'd expect from a council facility, they couldn't find their backsides with both hands, a map and a flashlight. However, I did eventually track someone down who knew something about boat permits in the kitchens upstairs at the tea room, signed a disclaimer saying I went on at my own risk and would behave myself and was issued a piece of paper for 7 which allows me on the Tarn for the day.

I'd suggest if you can't find someone who knows anything about boat permits, it probably means there is also no one who knows enough about it to complain...

The boat/pedalo/canoe rental place are nothing to do with the council or access to the Tarn.

Nice enough place to have a paddle. Quite pretty and sheltered, you'll always find a bit out of the wind. Debatable if it's worth 7 but this does let you use the showers and changing facilities so would probably be worthwhile if you were doing "wet" recovery practice and suchlike.

The above notwithstanding, I'm not sure I'd want to go in there, the water is pretty turbid and apparently has a high coliform count. They also have periodic algal blooms.

Worth mentioning that the health and safety obsessed council will prevent all access to the water and use thereof if the algal levels exceed a certain amount. The parks department are useless but if you phone the Talkin Tarn tea room they ought to be able to tell you if there is a problem (ask them if the boat hire is open).

Interesting point, kayak/canoe is free to accompany open water swimmers, although they charge swimmers a fee too.

Ice cream was good.
    "I'm not getting in a boat which is DESIGNED to go upside down."