Thread: Canoeing the Wye

Default Canoeing the Wye

Maybe this post could go into a newbies FAQ for everyone to come...?

I've had a good read of "this page" on canoeing the River Wye from Glasbury to Chepstow, though I don't think I'd carry on past Symonds Yat rapids.

I'm new to canoeing and this would be my first river trip with the family.(wife, 2 kids 8 & 10). I'm hoping to go over the May day bank holiday weekend as long as the weather looks reasonable (otherwise DIY for me )

2 questions :-
    • How far should I expect to paddle in a day, inexperienced and with someone who's not paddling fit. Is Glasbury->Symonds Yat over 3 days (76 miles) realistic ? Or should I be looking at around 15/20 miles per day ?
    • What do people normally do at journeys end regarding picking their car up from the start ? Rely on friends/family or is their a taxi/outfitter that can run you back for a fee ?
    Last edited by Newdaze; 20th-April-2006 at 07:24 AM.

wanting to run the wye was one of my main objectives when I decided to persue this canoe lark. Like you I was kinda stumped by how to get the ends joined up again.

I reckon leaving the canoe in Glasbury and running the car down to Monmouth first is the way, then try and get a bus/taxi/ friendly person to bring you back up to Glasbury. I'm going to be doing it solo, so a secure place to keep everything would be good..........
    Obscured by Clouds

Clipper Prospector 16

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com

Hi I did post but it got lost somewhere? I would think that 15-20 miles on a slow river like the Wye is as far as i would and have gone in a day! The Wye can be a bit slow at times. How long do you all paddle for usually on a day trip, and are you carrying all your camping kit?

I usually cycle between places when I canoe and this makes things easier with regard to lifts etc. I have paddled from Glasbury to Brockweir but it was a long old slog and took I think 4-5 days, with summer water levels.

I would leave the car at Holmelacy or Hoarwithy and then make my way to the main road (A49) and bus or hitch to Hereford and then the same along A438 to either Hay/Glasbury or Whitney Toll Bridge. Good access to the river here (down broad steps) although quite noisy as it is right by the road. Day to paddle just below Monnington Falls (800m) and stay at the site at Preston. The farmer here will for £5 supply an enormous wheel barrow of logs for a campfire, few facilities on site but very quiet and tucked away. Next day paddle to Hoarwithy? Again good get out point river right, below road bridge and quiet place to leave car for a few days.

Glasbury-Whitney-Preston-Hoarwithy, this I would choose! less than 10 miles on day one, (sort out any difficulties) 10-15 miles on day two, 18 day three.

Or start at Whitney and spend 2 nights at Preston and mess about for a day there? Push on to Holmelacy for the Monday. Short days but your family may come back again!

Nigel
    Last edited by nigelp; 20th-April-2006 at 06:15 AM.

I've done a few weekend trips down the Wye and last time I made the mistake of going too far on the first day. I think it was about 20-21 miles which was way too far to be enjoyable (given we didn't start until 1030). And we were a party of fairly fit blokes. The main problem was that the river was quite low in places which meant quite a lot of dragging. We also stayed at Preston and although the facilities are basic - i.e. just a field and portaloo, the setting is great. We scavenged for firewood but I wish I'd known about the wheelbarrow full for a fiver! I'd thoroughly recommend Preston as a campsite.

Going with the family - I'd probably aim for 15 miles per day on a full day and 10 if you plan to start late / finish early (e.g. 1/2 day). You may want to bimble along a bit to make sure the family enjoy it. That way you can have plenty of stops for tea and also re-run some of the rapids for some playing.

Also - its worth considering the Severn which I did last summer. The rapids are just as good and the river is deeper which meant a lot less dragging! We went from Ironbridge to Bewdley Bridge over 1 1/2 days. Although Jackfield rapids just near Ironbridge are a little hairy (grade 2 I believe).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newdaze
    Maybe this post could go into a newbies FAQ for everyone to come...?

I've had a good read of "this page" on canoeing the River Wye from Glasbury to Chepstow, though I don't think I'd carry on past Symonds Yat rapids.

I'm new to canoeing and this would be my first river trip with the family.(wife, 2 kids 8 & 10). I'm hoping to go over the May day bank holiday weekend as long as the weather looks reasonable (otherwise DIY for me )

2 questions :-
    • How far should I expect to paddle in a day, inexperienced and with someone who's not paddling fit. Is Glasbury->Symonds Yat over 3 days (76 miles) realistic ? Or should I be looking at around 15/20 miles per day ?
    • What do people normally do at journeys end regarding picking their car up from the start ? Rely on friends/family or is their a taxi/outfitter that can run you back for a fee ?
    Don't know anything about your river (obviously), but if it is a first time trip for the fam, the fewer miles the better.

For pickup (always a pain in the neck), we usually use two vehicles, leaving one at the takeout, then transporting the canoe with the other vehicle to the trailhead. If that is not an option, you will need a secure place to leave your canoe, or leave someone with it, while you take the vehicle to the takeout and bus or hitchhike back.

PG, NE Minnesota

according to the lady that rents canoes at glasbury 16 miles a day is good but 20 can be acheived if you push it if your in 2 canoes with a child in each ide try to keep it to 15 ill be doing this same run in july pm me with how it goes when you get back it would be a help thanks