Thread: Dug out canoes?

Question Dug out canoes?

Anyone have any examples, recommendations or tips?

The suggestion that there might be a log to hack on up at Loch Tay has struck a bit of a nerve.
    Finding out that my folks have an adze that they bought for the house renovation 15 years ago has really set me off on one.

So, I know nothing and am up for tossing ideas about.

Posting on BcUK as well. The thread is here:
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=319743
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

And how the h*ll ye gonny get it up thi stairs

Anglers.

It lives at the crannog ya numptie,

Numptie, I'll gie ye numptie

Never done one but saw an ancient one in Kelvingrove museum that made me wonder how they were done.

If you google you find some things but one site I found was quite useful, no plans or descriptions but an interesting series of photos showing progress.

http://www.wyac.co.uk/wyac_gallery_index_logboat.html

The real traditional way was to burn the centre out, not use an axe, but that might be risky

Or you could bid for this down-loadable book from ebay (23hrs left):

http://cgi.ebay.com/EASY-CANOE-PLANS...QQcmdZViewItem

Good Luck. Interesting to know what species you use, and what is best (and ergo if they are the same).

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Numptie, I'll gie ye numptie
    I'm not sure that this is even still legal is it ?

Good luck with the dug-out project.
    I had something in mind about burning it out, but an adze'd do the job - just take a bit longer perhaps.

Old article on building a cedar dugout canoe:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Green...out-Canoe.aspx

Just a little inspiration from the Kelvingrove Museum

Sorry about the poor picture but the digi didn't like all the lights.

Cant remember how old it but 3000 years sounds about right, its from one of the western isles.
    Lakeland Pete

Default Dugout canoe

What a great idea. I have built one dugout and several other canoes. The adz is the quickest way to build one. The burning and scraping takes a lot of patience.
    My suggestion is to purchase a large box of "bandaids." Next bring your log to a very public place. As you start chopping on your log strangers will appear and ask if you are really building a dugout canoe. Soon they will ask if they can have a turn. Instruct them on what needs to be cut and let them earn their bandage for the blister that will form on the web between their thumb and index finger. In two to three weeks your new friends will have finished your canoe.

You will need to plan the hulll you wish to design. Shape the outer hull first. Next cut pegs the thickness of the finished hull with a different colored wood. drill holes in the bottom and drive the pegs in. These are your depth gauges for how far to chop out the inside of the hull. The more advanced hulls in the Pacific Northwest were stretched to add flare to the hull. This was done by filling with water then inserting hot rocks to steam the hull. Along the outside of the hull fires were built to uniformly heat the hull. This is an art and you have to build a lot of bad ones to learn how to build one great one. The maritime museum in Astoria Oregon has a great head canoe made by Cathalmet Indians. The hull was designed to be three fingers thick on the bottom and taper to one finger thick at the gunwale. You can see where the skipper had indentations for his knees to help control the boat in white water. The hull has flare so the waves will bounce out of the canoe and not splash inside. The boat weighs less than a comparable modern "Royalax" canoe. It is a finished in black with a combination of fish oil and charcoal. The artist that built this boat knew more about boat design than we ever will even though it was made with a hand adz. If I can help please contact me.
    Dr. Joe
    Electric Hospital
    Coos Bay Or
    http://electrichospital.com

the depth guage trick is the key.
    I've used a similar technique when building igloos - pile up huge dome of snow, pack solid then push sticks in which are the desired wall thickness. then tunnel inside and excavate until you meet a stick - easy when you know how and for the canoe will ensure a really neat, even wall thickness

Inspiration indeed Pete. Going to take a wander round at the weekend, and to the maritime museum(they have some down there too).

Cheers for the input Dr Joe. Planning a hull in this case is more a case of seeing what was in use at the time. The folk with the log will be after a replica and we'll be the folk "having a turn" at helping.
    Your not the only person to mention patience in the same sentence as burn and scrape. If we can make a decent start there's a fair chance we could return to continue. Stone tools may even be on the cards so we're not kidding ourselves on that things will happen overnight.

Thanks again, if you get a call from a not entirely sober scotsman in the near future you know where it's coming from.