Thread: River Balvaig, again

Default River Balvaig, again

Spent yesterday afternoon paddling from Balqhuidder to the south end of Loch Lubnaig with my paramedic friend John. We had the choice of my Bob special or his Coleman, or both, but elected to go tandem in the Coleman.

Access is excellent at the bridge at Balqhuidder. About 20 yards after the put in is a small rapid. It should be of no consequence. But when you've not paddled for a bit, I find it takes a few minutes to 'tune in' to the boat and your paddling partner, and dealing with the rapid so soon after the put in was a little challenging. We grounded in shallow water in the middle of the river, with the current trying to tip us over. Fortunately we got free without taking a swim. There are a few other short stretches of faster water but these presented no problems whatsoever.

The river is winding with lots of trees so good for practising steering strokes.

9.4 miles (as the GPS flies) later we made it to the car park at the south end of Loch Lubnaig. This distance includes c200 yards walking from the river to the pub in Strathyre at the half way point. I include it as I can't imagine any of you omitting that bit.

Journal Entries

Glad to hear John is getting the use of the Coleman but surprised you did not want to take the Bob.

Also glad to hear no swimming was involved (.5 miles is a respectable distance. Probably more than I have covered in a day but again I am only doing flat water.
    John

Must admit to being glad we weren't in the Bob as we scraped along the shingle at the beginning.

Also found two dead sheep in the water, caught on branches, which does make you think twice about drinking river water.

Sounds like a nice run.

Is the campsite at Strathyre on the water or is there a field inbetween? I was trying to remember just the other day but I've only used it at night in winter.
    Picture yourself in a boat on a river,

Quote Originally Posted by Grooveski
    Sounds like a nice run.

Is the campsite at Strathyre on the water or is there a field inbetween? I was trying to remember just the other day but I've only used it at night in winter.
    yes campsite is on river
    when they say it can,t be done do it anyway