Thread: Virginia Water

Default Virginia Water

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Hi there, is it possible to canoe on VW? I live close, I've been there many a time but never seen boats on it, these are the byelaws can't see anything that says you can't but I'm guessing that you can't

Last edited by Astrobutch; 6th-December-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Sadly, this is one I very much doubt you'd get away with.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

The poster suggests Virginia Water is a protected habitat, with many unusual plant and animal species. It's a great place for a walk (and was once a regular haunt of ours)... but I'm not sure I'd like to see canoes on it...

Have you come across killer shrimp? An invasive species we can easily transport problems from one freshwater ecosystem to another - especially as critters like this shrimp can apparently survive a VERY long time in a damp boat

Here's an old Broads Authority plea for co-operation and support. There's a superb photo on this Invasive Species Alert poster... and more information on the problem in this briefing note. More critically... see the DEFRA "Species alerts" page: should always be up to date....

Here's Canoe-England's "Stop the Spread" factsheet and poster - hopefully promoted in all clubs and centres...

Ps. Previous SoTP discussions of killer shrimp:

I've also found an older thread on non-native species.. though I'm sure a thorough search would throw up others.

..I really asked in the spirit of enquiry and nothing more, i'm not sure I would like to see boats on that stretch either.

So the stories I've read so far are those of marauding swans, leptosperosis and killer shrimp....

Anyone wanna buy a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by Astrobutch View Post
    i'm not sure I would like to see boats on that stretch either
    OK... I'd like to see canoes on VW... just not canoes carrying killer shrimp and the like...

...so for the foreseeable future, I'll give VW (and all comparable sites) a miss.

Good luck with canoeing that, it would be like paddling in a shop window anyway!

I have boycotted the place since they started to charge for the Blacknest car park many years ago.
    You don't stop playing because you are old, you get old because you stop playing.