Thread: Slapton Ley

Default Slapton Ley

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Slapton Ley refers to the shingle beach of which there is access to use the sea.

However the Lagoon behind the road (known as Freshwater Ley) is a National Nature Reserve, and I believe no canoeing is permitted.

This could be old info though as I was last down there 10 years ago, but as it is a very important NNR, and educational tool, I doubt it is canoeable.

Slapton Ley is an interesting place where many US soldiers and naval guys died rehearsing the d-day landings.

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Default Lakeland Pete..Slapton Ley Devon

Hi..Pete I lived a mile from Slapton Ley it was over 8oo American/British and Naval men were lost due to a practice day/night exersise that German E boats found prior to the landings in France during world war 2 they sunk Lst, they still lay with there cargoes of jeeps/lorrys of the coast of Lyme Bay one Sherman Tank was raised by a local hotel owner Ken Small as a tribute to all who died the Tank is now on a base at the end of Torcross village.It a sad fact that more people were lost on that fatefull night than on the landings in France..kind regards Mike

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

... and no, you can't paddle on it (however tempting the bit behind/alongside Strete Gate is). It's [still] a NNR.

Details here.

It's a great spot tho' - I'm down there 2 or 3 times a month, so I'll add some shots next time I'm that way.

Default Slapton Ley...

Hi yes your right..but there are boats pulled up on the landward side of the Ley they might be used by the field centre...might see you in the start bay inn.......regards Mike

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

These were all taken from the Torcross end of the ley (earlier today).
    I'll do the other end when I'm up there next.

At SX824422 looking north ...
    The sea is to the right of this photo, about 150mtrs away.

SX821423 looking east (At part of Torcross). Beyond those buildings is a bit of beach, then the open channel.
    The first photo was taken from the low building on the left of that ^ photo.

SX821423 looking north. The far shore is the shingle bank that the road runs on. This is looking at Strete, Stoke Fleming and then onto the mouth of the Dart. The far headland is the 'other' side of the river mouth at Froward Point

Default Slapton Ley...

Hi I remember this area very well I lived at Chillington/Stokenham and both my children played on the beach at Torcross and pints in the Start Bay Inn...happy days my children are in there mid twenties now one works near London and the other is living in Samoa in the Pacific.....I hope there is not a dry in house at this stage great part of the world Slapton.......kind regards Mike...