Thread: Rudyard Reservoir

Default Rudyard Reservoir

Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:45 PM.

Rudyard Lake is just to the west of the Peak District National Park, near the Staffordshire/Cheshire border. It was built as a reservoir in 1797 to supply the canal system. It is about 2.5 miles long and about 1/4 mile wide, with an area of 168 acres.

see http://www.rudyardlake.com/

Canoes & Kayaks are allowed on most of the lake, although try not to get in the way of the sailing club (about half way down) and don't go into the small nature reserve at the NW end (white signs). The lakes is mostly surrounded by woodland and is quite pretty. There is £5 launching fee payable at the pay & display machine at the small carpark at the southern end of the lake. There are toilets, changing rooms and a small cafe.

Last edited by ap999; 8th-September-2007 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more info

Nice place for a gentle day out!

Default rudyard

oh what a nice place, i plan to test my new apache there very soon can't wait.

did you know rudyard kipling was named after the lake??

Yup...I wonder if he was conceived by or on the lake?

Agree it is a nice place..+ the Ranger is very helpful and keen to encourage paddling. There is quite an interesting book on the history of the lake by Basil Jeuda.. "Rudyard Lake -The Bicententenary 1797-1997" if you can get hold of it. (IBSN 1-897949-30-8)

Look out for me in a yellow sea kayak... (sorry I'm an interloper in this OC forum )
    Last edited by ap999; 24th-May-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Thumbs up rudyard

hey i have 3 kayaks but oc is better for that lesurley meander down a canal or acroos a lake where as kayaks seem to have that edge of excitement as you blast down a grade 4 boofing off rocks and they keep the rain out.

both craft have there uses
    you have one life so live it

Default Launching fees

Turned up at Rudyard last Sunday and saw new notice saying launching fee for boats longer than 3m had increased from 5 to 10!!! I had a word with the ranger and fortunately it does not apply to Canoes or Kayaks which are still 5.. or 3.50 for groups of 8 or more.

It was cold and clear, with the odd spot of rain, so had a pleasant paddle round the lake...water level really high..some trees fllooded..bit like paddling round a mangrove swamp...

Default Rudyard

A beautiful place, to Canoe, Walk and picnic, just be carefull if on the lake, The Moths can create a good wash.

Best Regards Bill