Thread: Barton Broad

Default Barton Broad

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:35 PM.

Default Visiting the Broad.

Barton Turf http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...2482&A=Y&Z=115
    Launch from the 24 hour Broads Authority staithe (quay). Ignore the sign saying no launching which relates to the parish staithe the other side of the brick shed and park in the small car park 20 metres from the staithe.

Barton Broad is worth visiting as hire boats tend to keep within navigation posts leaving you to quietly explore the other half of the Broad.

Pick a still day as the wind tends to gust along the Broad. Look out for otters, they are about in the daytime around the edges or within the floating barriers that stop fish getting in to eat the water fleas that clean the algae. Look out for marsh harrier, king fisher, swallowtail butterfly in June/July and dragonflies (including the Norfolk Hawker which is brown with transparent wings as brown wings identifies a Brown Hawker). There are also a couple of cranes that fly or soar occasionally.

Try Lime Kiln Dyke to Neatishead (staithe shop, pub and restaurant) another pleasant but short waterway.

Please be aware that the southern end of the Broad beyond the semi circle of 'shallow water' buoys is a wildlife sanctuary. Keep away from the green pontoons from April to August as these are nesting platforms for 30+ pairs of tern. If its winter, please give this part of the Broad a miss because of winter wildfowl. The Broad is owned and managed by the Norfolk Wildlife Trust so we try to repay them in this way.

For a picnic lunch, try Wood Dyke http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...1487&A=Y&Z=115 . There is a little known public staithe at the bottom on the right (before the private moorings) where you can pull the canoe out and stretch your legs.

There are toilets at the Broads Authority car park http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...1487&A=Y&Z=115 (the hotel in now a private residence) in Long Lane you may land and launch at Gaye’s Staithe, Broads Authority public moorings.

Enjoy your visit and wave to sail number 101 cause that's me.
    Brian
    Not me!

Thanks for this advice - I took the kids out on Barton Broad in my Selway Fisher Hazelnut recently. Turned out to be a great place to go away from the crowds on the Bure. It was a windy day however and being in the middle of the Broad was a struggle (luckily my children thought it was fun, though I was a bit concerned for a while!)

Recommend starting at Barton Turf and exploring the Heater and area along the east of the Broad. Excellent car park and pull out point at Irstead, and creeks to explore down here such as Shoals Dyke (though narrow and don't be surprised if you have to reverse!).

Would have liked to go north up the River Ant too but didn't have time...

Default North on the Ant from Barton Turf

Hi TimGent,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Barton Broad. The River Ant north is a nice trip with choices of Wayford, Sutton and Stalham. Don't botther with Stalham, Wayford is the quietest and most picturesque with Hunsett Mill on route.

A really nice trip is putting in at Wayford Bridge public slipway and going up the Dilham Canal where there are no motor vessels. Extremely picturesque and often cows standing in the water en route. Kingfishers and other wildlife in abundance. In the summer there are plenty of dragon and damsell flies, especially Banded Demoiselles.
    Brian
    Not me!

Could I ask what might seem a silly question? Could someone clarify which part is ok to launch from? Is it the right or left of the brick hut, or neither? Didn't want to get myself into trouble on my first visit

Many thanks,
    Graham

Looking directly ahead the building is known locally as 'The Black Shed' and is an old wherry trading place. The public stathie is to the right of the shed with parish moorings to the left. Sometimes the stahie is full of moored craft so launching may be a problem. I can see nothing to stop anyone launching to the left of the shed as the water and bank are public places. It is only the moorings that are reserved for parishioners.

Behing the hedge to the left is a sandy track that leads down to a stony slipway/beach that is private being owned by the adventure centre but could be used if you asked nicely as the users are nice people.
    Brian
    Not me!

Thankyou Brian, all is now clear

I'm doing my refresher course at the Adventure Centre, so I'll be sure to make a good impression in case I need to use their beach in the future...

Pleas note, my original post states shop, restaurant and pub in Neatishead village. Currently there is only the pub with the shop closed until it is reopened as a community enterprise (hopefully).
    Brian
    Not me!

The pub does sell meals though

Quote Originally Posted by brev View Post
    the users are nice people.
    - Thank you Brian

Might be worth noting that launching at Barton Turf Staithe is only for individuals. Organised groups should get permission from the Parish Council (who own the car park). Details posted on the side of the Black Shed.

Or you could just see above ...

Simon

11. Default

Hi guys we just did a review of Barton broad, what a lovely place it is to visit on the Norfolk broads, see what you think:
    Barton broad

It is a great place to go sailing or visit for the day, we totally recommend it. So if your in the area why not check it out

We have decided to go to Barton Broad next weekend, im just trying to work out the best route round for about 4 miles or upto 2 hours or so (my fellow paddler is my 8 year old daughter). I was thinking of parking at the car park on the NW side and going up the Ant to Dilham and back down again. Any thoughts ?

Hi Chris,

Two options determined by the weather. If windy or possibly wet I would keep off the Broad unless you are seasoned canoeists and park at either Baton Turf, putting in next to the brick shed and head north in the Ant. You may encounter some boat traffic until the Stalham fork and it gets more scenic to Wayford Bridge. Depending on the remaining available time you can either go on to Dilham or turn off to the right into the Dilham Canal 200 yards after going under the bridge. You may be lucky and see Highland cattle to the left before the brick bridge or cattle in the fields to the right after the bridge. How far you continue past the brick bridge is up to you as it gets progressively narrower and overgrown. Alternatively put in at Wayford Bridge and have a more leisurely paddle in the area above the bridge with very little, if any, boat traffic.

Should it be nice and calm then you can put in at Gaye's Staithe off Irstead Road, NR12 8BJ (opposite Long Road) driving down the access lane and unloading onto the public Staithe near the cottage (the water to the right of the lane prior to the cottage is private and marked as such. When unloaded you can park in the Broads Authority car park in Long Land 70 yards south of Irstead Road. I believe the toilets are closed for the winter from October. The Staithe has metal safety ladders for people falling off boats which are ideal for boarding canoes.

The beauty of Barton Broad is that posts mark the old navigation area before the Broad was dredged in 2000 so hire boats tend to keep inside them. In fact it is 1.5 metres deep almost up to the reeds. There are plenty of places to explore and if you want to stretch your legs why not try the Catfield Staithe in Wood Dyke. This little known oasis is on the east side of the Broad in the trees near Pleasure Island. The beauty of this spot is that the quay heading is canoe embarkation height making it ideal for comfort breaks.
    Brian
    Not me!

thanks Brian thats very helpful
    Now we're paddling..........

Really helpful to know about being able to launch left side of the shed. I had been to look, but saw the no launching sign.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by brev View Post
    Pleas note, my original post states shop, restaurant and pub in Neatishead village. Currently there is only the pub with the shop closed until it is reopened as a community enterprise (hopefully).
    Neatishead Whitehorse Stores is now open as a community shop and well stocked.
    Brian
    Not me!

Neatishead White Horse PH was closed for refurbishments and reopened May 2014 after being purchased privately. I have yet to sample but locals say there is a good selection of beers and feedback from holiday makers is the the food is good. Open all day.
    Brian
    Not me!

Hi All, bit of advice please.

i have just read with interest this thread about where you can/can't launch. Have been up to Barton Turf earlier this evening and as the thread states, the sign at the staithe reads like you can't really launch there. Really grateful for the picture clearing it up. Beautiful spot also.

Anyway, have just treated myself to a Z Pro T200 inflatable as a newbie to canoeing/kayaking. Done a bit in the past in the RAF and also last year in Canada. Nothing too big though so would still class myself as a novice.

To that end, where would anyone with Norfolk Broads knowledge recommend I start out next weekend. Was looking at Sutton Staithe, Barton Turf or the non-navigable stretch of the Bure, above Coltishall.

many thanks

Speaking as a tourist, not a local, here is my 2p worth.

Barton Broad, being the second largest of the Broads can be prone to wind and can also get quite busy, but keep to the edges and it should be fine.

I would recommend the stretch of the Bure you mentioned, or put in at Belaugh which has a free public staithe with parking for half a dozen vehicles. You could stop for refreshments at Coltishall on the way or on the way back (or both) as long as you have some rope to moor your inflatable as Coltishall does not allow canoes/kayaks to be taken out of the water! (I wish I had known this when I was there!) There is a disused lock at Horstead Mill but if you want to go further, this can be easily portaged easily to allow further quiet exploration.

Also well worth doing is the North Walsham and Dilham Canal with a put in at Wayford Bridge where the pub is happy for you to use their carpark (and it gives you an excuse to sample their refreshments on your return!)
    After the first bend (about 200 yards after the put in) there are no motorcraft allowed.
    As you approach Honing Lock it does get rather narrow and junglesque (?) but this just adds to the "away from it all" feeling. Probably my favourite!
    There's a Bluebird in my heart

Quote Originally Posted by bazjonster View Post
    Hi All, bit of advice please. i have just read with interest this thread about where you can/can't launch. Have been up to Barton Turf earlier this evening and as the thread states, the sign at the staithe reads like you can't really launch there. Really grateful for the picture clearing it up. Beautiful spot also. Anyway, have just treated myself to a Z Pro T200 inflatable as a newbie to canoeing/kayaking. Done a bit in the past in the RAF and also last year in Canada. Nothing too big though so would still class myself as a novice. To that end, where would anyone with Norfolk Broads knowledge recommend I start out next weekend. Was looking at Sutton Staithe, Barton Turf or the non-navigable stretch of the Bure, above Coltishall. many thanks
    The River Bure above Coltishall is good. Put in at the Broads Authority canoe access point at Horstead and head north. You can go as far as Buxton without portage, Aylsham with. Alternatively try the Dilham Canal. Turn into the small lane opposite the Wayford Bridge petrol station. You may park in the road and use the parish slipway. Head north under the road bridge and the canal is about 200 metres on the right. Expect to see cows standing in the canal, kingfishers, Banded Demoiselles and much more.
    Brian
    Not me!

@Ninja Pirate; @brev

Many thanks for both of the replies guys, very helpful.

I know Horstead Mill well and was up there yesterday morning in the pouring rain having a look; likewise Belaugh which is lovely.

Paid a visit to the boatyard opposite Wayford Bridge today and they said I could put in there for a parish fee of £3. They also recommended I head up the canal toward Dilham. Mind you, if I can put in at Wayford Bridge for free guess I should go there! Went and had a look at Dilham also and although I was not there for long, I could not find a place to 'launch'.

As you both mention, the upper reaches of the Bure seem a good bet for my first trip I think. It is my closest stretch and I know a really small public slipway in between Buxton and Coltishall (very near the refuse tip!) where I can leave the car and put in. Getting out and about today has really whetted the appetite, only been thinking about doing it for three years! Anyway, 'Into the Wild' (well, almost) it shall be for me.

thanks again.

I would be wary of the area on the top end of Barton Broad, Richardsons is based up there so you will be encountering some very large craft being "controlled" by people with very little experience, and as little as 45 minutes instruction. As mentioned above it can be windy and a bit choppy.

The river above Coltishall is one of the nicest places I have paddled my inflatable, and the stretch between Coltishall and Wroxham tends to be less busy than other sections. I have paddled the busy area around Horning in the past and not had any problems with sharing the river with large motor craft, just be aware that some lack experience, and some ignore the speed and wake rules. Also be aware that you need to pay a toll, and the rivers are patrolled.

@Ninja Pirate; @brev

Many thanks for both of the replies guys, very helpful.

Paid a visit to the boatyard opposite Wayford Bridge today and they said I could put in there for a parish fee of £3. They also recommended I head up the canal toward Dilham. Mind you, if I can put in at Wayford Bridge for free guess I should go there! Went and had a look at Dilham also and although I was not there for long, I could not find a place to 'launch'.

thanks again.
    If launching at Wayford Bridge in what is their car park, ask at Hotel, and have a meal there, they will issue you with a discount voucher. Launching opposite at Smallburgh is delightful with very pleasant people at Banks boats, keep a good half hour free for a chat :-)
    Canal at Dilham is wonderful and isolated, also Tylers Cut. Can only paddle as far up the canal (forget ANY idea of a "canal") to Honing Lock (might be handy to take a folding saw....)
    Launching at Dilham is at the lovely staithe by the bridge. Pub (X keys...)100x down lane. Limited roadside parking space at staithe.

Camping up the road at Canalside Camping, can also launch into the canal from there.....hire or your own

Hi All, bit of advice please.

i have just read with interest this thread about where you can/can't launch. Have been up to Barton Turf earlier this evening and as the thread states, the sign at the staithe reads like you can't really launch there. Really grateful for the picture clearing it up. Beautiful spot also.

Anyway, have just treated myself to a Z Pro T200 inflatable as a newbie to canoeing/kayaking. Done a bit in the past in the RAF and also last year in Canada. Nothing too big though so would still class myself as a novice.

To that end, where would anyone with Norfolk Broads knowledge recommend I start out next weekend. Was looking at Sutton Staithe, Barton Turf or the non-navigable stretch of the Bure, above Coltishall.

many thanks
    Launching for the Broad (Barton):

Wayford Bridge (Hotel or Smallburgh staithe) on the Ant
    Sutton Staithe on the Ant
    Stalham staithe on the Ant
    Barton Turf...limited parking, use BA staithe
    Neatishead staithe
    Gays staithe...car park/loos up lane/junction opposite 100x
    Irstead staithe on Ant to the south...not welcoming, ensure you use BA staithe and not parish staithe.

Barton broad very beautiful, lots of isolated places to delve into, very wooded. See wood end staithe on east shore...

see also "Norfolk Broads Canoe and Kayak Guide" by Steve Maloney. V helpful.

Shortly to be found near The Wissey Norfolk

Individuals can use the staithe at Barton Turf but they discourage large groups as that causes parking issues etc. Gays Staithe is OK as there are loos and parking but a bit away from the water; the downside is that its a big drop from the staithe into the canoe.
    Get Paddling!

Blott

Certainly no big drop at Gays, Neatishead or Barton acouple of weeks ago? Does the level vary a lot?