Thread: How Long Have You Been Paddling

Default How Long Have You Been Paddling

Hello,
    The title say's it all really.

Just wondered.
    I bought my 1st canoe October 2005.
    Been out twice on the Ouse in York, 2nd time went for a swim which was not a pleasant experience (not enough buoyancy). anyway still here to tell the tale which amused a great many friends and colleagues.

The next time I venture out I will have buoyancy at both ends of the canoe and hopefully the right clothing etc..

Also bought a Perception Sierra a Kayak with a large cockpit used that twice on the river Foss near where I live.
    regards Dean

Journal Entries

I got my first canoe in August 2004 and had been hiring ones out and building up to it for about 6 months before that. So still a relative newby.

I started way back in the sixties. My first paddling experience was when I was in the army. Adventure training it was called. I was down in Plymouth when Sir Francis Chichister came in from his round the world trip. A group of us paddled out among the welcoming fleet. It was really choppy out there and we didn't have PFDs or even spray skirts on the canoes. Health and Safety wasn't as stringent then as it is now. In fact, our officers decided that the glass fibre canoes we were using were old and needed replacing, so they got us to surf the canoes in under the pier and smash them head long into the stone harbour wall to crack them open so we could claim off the insurance. They gave us life jackets for that part though.

Anyway, it's been a few years since I did any serious paddling and I'm really keen on Canadian canoes. I had a go in one at the Loch Achray meet with other BCUK members last year and decided I needed to get on the water.

Hopefully it won't be too long until I'm singing the song.

Eric

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong Super Moderator

I've been paddling on and off for about 20 years I guess - some of that time in my old Perception Dancer (which I still have), but for the last 6 or so in open boats.

Default How Long Have You Been Paddling

Hi,

Started paddling in 1976 at school. 1st boat christmas 77, then came a rapid succession of boats (all slalom), early 80's started sea paddling. Early 90's I started paddling canoes. There was this guy called Noah that lived round the corner...........

PB

Default Since ......

I think since '62 when I was 14 - a pal & I used to do 100 mile trips across the Penines, up the Llangollen canal etc in a canvas double for several days at a time. Pete's parents would drop us off & collect us several days later - very understanding.

Can't remember first open boat stuff.

Alastair
    Last edited by Alastair Seagroatt; 17th-April-2006 at 05:50 PM.

since 1989.

Second hand slalom kayak, paddle, BA and helmet for £20.
    we only went to get a tent.
    Rogue

Journal Entries

Started in early 70's when Dad built a canvas over wood frame (PBK 19?) open kayak, spent a lot of time on the blackwater and canals of Essex,

We then returned to N.Ireland and kept paddling the PBK and then made some fibre glass GP boats from a borrowed mould.

Kept paddling these and gained a proficency certifcate, Then as part of a youth work job had to kayak and gained the hights of TI, in a europa

'87 I headed over to Ross on wye and spent a season working for PGL, this was my real introduction to open boating, 9 months paddling down the Wye.

Move to London, did very little, some DW training (canceled due to broken leg)

Moved back to N,Ireland 1999 been paddling anything I could get into since, now have 5 boats, but only one is an open
    JD
    He knows not where he's going, For the ocean will decide, It's not the destination, It's the glory of the ride

Default first boat

My first open boat was a 40th birthday present from my family (Discovery 174). enjoyed placid water family outings until i got bored and the children grew too tall and into their own kayaks. This boat went to a good home on the south coast somewhere...My second boat is a mad river horizon - July 2005. very happy.

Journal Entries

Went on my first overnight canoe trip, with my brother, a friend and his sister, at age ten (I was eldest). That would be in 1963. I went on numerous trips before that with my parents and grandparents - starting at age 3 in 1956. So, about 50 years.

Our first canoes were either homemade spruce and canvas or Oldtown spruce and canvas. My grandfather had a dugout canoe, but I we just paddled around the lake in it. It was too heavy to portage.

PG