Thread: Loch Ard all to myself

Default Loch Ard all to myself

Saturday 15th April 2005

Very little wind, even though the forcast was not so good, a wee paddle on loch Ard was great yesterday..started at the Kinlochard school jetty..put a few coins in the honesty box then set off

So many fishermen around the south side and when I made a dash to catch another boat, it was tourists from the timeshare..ah well..a bit bemused by my enthuisiastic hello's

Thanks for the dog advise before, both boys enjoyed the stops and seemed to be comfy in the karrimat tray I've fashioned from two mats..

So much rubbish around the loch..does no-one take home the rubbish they generate..my old Scout leader would turn in his grave if I left anything..

I've been reading the thread about Loch Lomond next week..I will turn up on the Saturday morning..very interested in meeting other paddlers and seeing
    some other boats, mine is a tourer and after some thought and seeing all the nice photo's of the trips on site I'm thinking of replacing it

Here is a question..do the house owners at the bottom of the loch consider the ponds part of their gardens..and is it easy to carry on to Aberfoyle

Anyway..see you all next week

Douglas...aka chouinard

monkey_pork is offline a wind age, a wolf age - before the world goes headlong

Quote Originally Posted by chouinard
    So much rubbish around the loch..does no-one take home the rubbish they generate..my old Scout leader would turn in his grave if I left anything..
    This is a real nightmare - why is it like this everywhere now ?

I've just nipped out for a quick walk along my local [admittedly tourist] beach, and there is rubbish everywhere, mostly fish n' chip wrappers and soft drink & beer cans. There are bins every 100mtrs or so, so it's not like it's hard to clear up. GRRRR.

Anyway, rant over ... sounds like you caught the weather well then - did you get any pictures ?

I am surprised it was not windy for you. I was out for a few hours on Saturday on Castle Semple Loch and there was quite a wind. Made for a good sail up the loch but a bit of work paddling back, even though I was tandem.

Looking forward to meeting you next week and don't get me started on rubbish
    John

I was in the rockies a few weeks ago and never encountered one single piece of rubbish anywhere..personal responsibility means nothing here...

Fishermen are very friendly when I'm out so its a shame to say that every campsite looks like a tip when they've left...if there's a forestry worker reading you have my sympathy..surely through the permit system there should be some incentives to clear up...

I was out again on sunday at ratho for a bit of fun and it was quite a task fighting the squals of wind, met another paddler very nice bloke..some kids where camping on the island at the motorway where the santa grotto is..what an odd place to choose

Reminds me of the bendy bendy in Glencoe where the juniors from the Craigdu used to sleep, a viaduct under the road..although thirty odd years ago the traffic at night was very light if non existent right enough..I was a member of the might Starav..we had a hut next to McColls bunkhouse..sheer luxury..

As I take snaps for a living I didnt take a camera with me on saturday, will need to start as I love looking at the pictures on site..I will focus on the boat not my horrible carcass though

Douglas

Here is a question..do the house owners at the bottom of the loch consider the ponds part of their gardens..and is it easy to carry on to Aberfoyle
    I see no reason why the 'ponds' at the east end aren't within access rights. We launch at that end last year and had no problems. I'm not sure how easy it would be to launch from the roadside, we carried our boat from the forestry commission carpark. The touring guide suggests you can exit onto the Forth, but it doesn't seem possible to me. There is a low iron fence across the start of the river then narrow/shallow/rocky/steep rapids which I doubt you could run even in a kayak.

As I take snaps for a living I didnt take a camera with me on saturday
    Douglas[/quote]

I used to cycle with a photographer from Edinburgh who would never take a camera with him on our trips (might have been difficult carrying a Linhof in a saddlebag mind you) . I always thought It a shame , that for him photography was "Just a job"

Alan

As I take snaps for a living I didnt take a camera with me on saturday
    Douglas
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ramsay
    I used to cycle with a photographer from Edinburgh who would never take a camera with him on our trips (might have been difficult carrying a Linhof in a saddlebag mind you) . I always thought It a shame , that for him photography was "Just a job"

Alan
    Oh no..just a job..have such high standards would want to carry too much stuff to get what I want..

There is some lovely canoe images..the 'Song of the paddle', misty morning/solo canoe is lovely..why bother making copies of shots I admire

Landscape images need a zen approach and that would bore any fellow paddler

Chech my web site for a canoe portrait(editorial) and some landscapes of lochs

www.douglasmcbridephotographer.co.uk
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 18th-April-2006 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Sorting quotes

Default Oh no

Didn't mean to Imply that for you it was just a job , most photographers I've met have been passionate about their work .
    Just been veiwing your website , particularly like your portraiture/theater work

Alan

Ta very much Alan...

Didnt take offence iether...

I really like the photography from your canoe trips, very informitive about other folks gear and about places

Wish I could just paste pictures straight in to these replies, make it so much easier than going thru another folio site

When I was on holiday I came accross some nice books on open canoe trips
    with lots of nice pictures..it would be great to pass them around after I've read them

Maybe if anyone in the group wants a swap then I've read quite quickly one about some mishaps while navigating Canada's rivers

Roll on the weekend..lets hope its a good forcast for the loch Lomond area

Douglas