Thread: Rollesby Broad

Default Rollesby Broad

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:36 PM.

As far as I am aware there is no canoe access onto Rollesby Broad. This Broad is owned by the Essex and Suffolk water company and the only organisation with access is the Sailing club.
    I stand ready to be corrected on the above if I am wrong.

Default Rollesby broad

I think the access situation here is probably a little indeterminate... it was formerly connected by a cut to the rest of the broads and presumably navigable at that time... the water board would want to discourage use, but if it is OK to sail on, it must be OK to paddle on from a pollution view point. ... there is also a very unfriendly group of model boat sailors who use another one of the Trinity broads connected to Rollesby Broad...

The wild life here is great and needs to be respected...

This is how I understand the position of the Trinity Broads. I cannot be sure that I am totally correct, but I was told this by a chap who rarely gets his facts wrong on these matters.
    Filby Exclusively used by The Norfolk Schools Sailing Association from their base, as they are the only organisation with permission. Land around the Broad is private. Essex Suffolk Water Company own the broad
    Rollesby The only organisation with permission from the owners is the sailing club. This permission is limited and they are only allowed to use it at certain agreed times. ESWC own much of the surrounding land, the rest is private.
    Ormesby Again both water and some land owned by ESWC, the rest private. As far as I am aware no permission for use is granted.
    The only exception that I know of is that people who live in the respective parishes can be granted use of the waters for fishing etc.
    I am not sure which Broad the model boaters use.
    The cut that connects the broads to the river Bure is called Muck Fleet. This is not navigable due to sluices that keep the water in the Trinity Broads at a suitable level for the Water company.
    This position could be seen as somewhat frustrating, however there is so much more available water (with free access) in the area that it is not really a big problem.

The canoeman, a guiding company in Norfolk now do guided tours of the trinity broads.
    http://www.thecanoeman.co.uk/trinity-broads.html
    I don't know what I want but I want it now!

There is a car park launch from the car park on the A149 just before Rollesby which provides public access to the water's edge.

Muck Fleet is navigable - search for it here... haven't paddled it yet... emphasis on yet
    Doug Dew
    "The best is yet to come" My Father

Interesting. Certainly, as far as I was aware up to now, the only way to get onto the Trinity Broads in a canoe is to pay the 'Canoe Man'. A real shame since although there is no shortage of broads, there aren't many where you can avoid the ever-present hire boat menace.

Actually did one of the Filby Broad tours this week: Broads Authority apparently want lots of people to get an opportunity to paddle the broad so trips are am and pm and evening only and relatively short but at the same time the canoeman only has access to the broads on a few days a year.
    A Broads Authority representative has to accompany the trip and he gave an interesting commentary.
    The tour would really suit people new to canoeing and visitors to the Broads.

Our group consisted of 12 canoes and it was unfortunately so windy that the group went about a mile before turning back and were ferried by bus back to the launch. We rashly said that we would battle back against the wind and got a real workout. We didn't get to see much but the company offered us a free alternate trip which was very kind.
    I don't know what I want but I want it now!

The info given in Filhicks post is accurate.

It is a shame that access to the Trinity broads is limited but, thanks to this the water quality is very good and the aquatic plant population is brilliant, some of the best in the Broads.

Trips with Mark (canoe man) are great and always well populated.

The trip I helped on last Thurs 26th Aug, was also windy but not to the point of cancellation.

Bob
    Bob

Of lofty towers we dream,
    And to their hieghts aspire.

My investigations have discovered that ESWC only extract from the Trinity Broads the actual bodies of water are under the Parish Councils. I am always confused by the sign at the junction of the A419 and Eels Foot Road which has a sign for direction to Ormesby Broad yet the road goes down to Rollesby Broad. Neither of which can be accessed, as there is a large restaurant at the end of it. I am sure I have read somewhere that there was a public footpath to the waters edge which appears to have disappeared with the development.