Thread: Hickling Broad

Default Hickling Broad

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Hickling broad can be accessed from the village of Hickling Heath at the Northern edge or from Horsey Mere at the Eastern side there is also access onto the River Thurne at the south.

There are several free moorings on the narrower channel which connect Heigham sound and Hickling. These make good lunch spots as a lot of the lake shore is reed beds.

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

Hickling Broad.
    Access can be gained at Whispering Reeds boat yard for a small fee or from the Parish staithe. No launching is permitted into the dyke by the Pleasure Boat public house, at the windsurfing beach or at the sailing club. (All of these are at the northern end near the Pleasure boat PH).
    Shallow, mostly quite flat water (close to the sea so can cut up rough in bad weather) with a few bays at the edge.
    The largest of the Norfolk Broads at approx 500 acres so plenty of space. Also probably the quietest as most of the Broads cruisers cannot get under Potter Heigham bridge, leaving the upper Thurne, Hickling Broad and Horsey Mere ideal for canoeing.
    The already mentioned Pleasure boat PH is at the waters edge, the Greyhound Inn around 400 yards further up the road.
    A trip for a summers day...Canoe to Horsey Mere (across the Broad into the river, 1st left into Meadow Dyke. The Mere is at the end of this stretch), secure your boat and walk to the Lord Nelson at Horsey and then down onto the beautiful sandy beach.
    Or into the river until you reach the Thurne. Turn right and paddle to Potter Heigham. Several shops etc. The Falgate is the recommended PH here. If you choose to go beyond the bridge you are into the main part of the Norfolk Broads.
    Or into the river until you meet the Thurne. Turn left and paddle down to West Somerton. A very short walk and there is a pub in this village too.
    All easy, pleasurable paddling!
    A Broads Authority pass is required in the National Park area. About 20ish per annum or 5ish for a week (check their website for accurate details). I believe day passes are also available.

Default Broads Access

I think BCUK membership gives you Broads access?

We've done the Hickling/Horsey/LordNelson/Beach trip... a great day out...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdew99 View Post
    I think BCUK membership gives you Broads access?.
    I think you mean BCU
    John

Yes BCU membership does cover the Broads.
    Sorry forgot to point that out.

The Pleasure Boat Inn at Hickling (also on Facebook) has a long standing reputation for welcoming canoeists. Checking in the other day on behalf of the OCSG, I found new management and a new "Mooring / Car Park / Launching / Fishing Ticket" system.

The Inn welcomes canoeists... but has an understandable issue with:

• Masses of badly parked cars and trailers limiting space for patrons...
    • A well known local hire outfit routinely launching a trailer-load of canoes without even stopping to say hello!

This is the location:

The new system is a 5 car park / launching ticket that is redeemable against food and drink purchased at the Pleasure Boat Inn on the day of issue.

The system is one ticket per car... but the management's aim (as I was told last week) isn't to make a killing through the car park or launching, so if your group comprises 2-3 cars then do give them a call / ask at the bar - if you're planning to take a pint or two in the bar / beer garden afterwards, you may well find a deal can be done.

Alternatively, head to the end of Catfield Dyke: there's parking for at least 3-4 cars (to the SIDE of the private staithe)... and canoes can be launched from a few hundred yards down the footpath at the Broads Authority moorings (just BEHIND the private Staithe).

Ps. The blog of our visit is here: Herding Cats on "Britain's magical waterland"...
    Last edited by GregandGinaS; 10th-June-2012 at 08:05 AM.

If you paddle to Horsey you can visit the National trust windpump for some good views. You can buy refreshments there as well.

Clive

Thanks for all the info guys very useful :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive 3617 View Post
    If you paddle to Horsey you can visit the National trust windpump for some good views. You can buy refreshments there as well.

Clive
    ...and get charged 2 for your canoe as soon as you pull up......

Quote Originally Posted by GregandGinaS View Post
    The Pleasure Boat Inn at Hickling (also on Facebook) has a long standing reputation for welcoming canoeists. Checking in the other day on behalf of the OCSG, I found new management and a new "Mooring / Car Park / Launching / Fishing Ticket" system.

The Inn welcomes canoeists... but has an understandable issue with:

• Masses of badly parked cars and trailers limiting space for patrons...
    • A well known local hire outfit routinely launching a trailer-load of canoes without even stopping to say hello!

This is the location:

The new system is a 5 car park / launching ticket that is redeemable against food and drink purchased at the Pleasure Boat Inn on the day of issue.

The system is one ticket per car... but the management's aim (as I was told last week) isn't to make a killing through the car park or launching, so if your group comprises 2-3 cars then do give them a call / ask at the bar - if you're planning to take a pint or two in the bar / beer garden afterwards, you may well find a deal can be done.

Alternatively, head to the end of Catfield Dyke: there's parking for at least 3-4 cars (to the SIDE of the private staithe)... and canoes can be launched from a few hundred yards down the footpath at the Broads Authority moorings (just BEHIND the private Staithe).

Ps. The blog of our visit is here: Herding Cats on "Britain's magical waterland"...
    Parking at Catfield now limited to one or two cars and no trailers...……..