Thread: Thirlmere

Default Thirlmere

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:38 PM.

Default Thrillmere

Not sure I would call Thirlmere a "lowland" lake!! (like the linked entry suggests). It gets windy and wild and feels a remote, lonely place quite often...

Thirlmere is a nice little lake but launching sites are difficult due to the height of the road from the reservoir.

It does have a remote feeling to it and often you are likely to be the only canoe on there.

There is no permit required but under access you are asked to phone up United Utilities to ask if the reservoir is shut due to forestry or water related works. Thirlmere office number is Telephone: 01768 772334.

Useful UU link for Thirlmere: http://www.unitedutilities.com/?OBH=445&ID=3825

Pete
    Lakeland Pete

Best place for launching is Ambroth car park, which is right next to the shore. If the levels are low, it can be a ways to a very steep launch. This will cause no problems at put-in but take-out will be tricky, especially in a kayak. In Winter, the bottom of the car park is in the water.

There is also a height restriction to the shoreline but not to the car park. To prevent boat and craft on trailers using this as a launch. Car park is P & D but you get toilets.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 8th-October-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: More info
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Default Alternative parking

I've found using the layby at Launchy Gill half way down the west shore a reasonable alternative. There is a very short carry to the lake shore once you've lifted the boat over the gate. A bonus is that parking is free and there are no height restrictions on the layby.
    Aslan

Kharga and I went for a paddle on Thirlmere with some friends several years ago. Frankly, I wasn't impressed and wouldn't bother to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    I've found using the layby at Launchy Gill half way down the west shore a reasonable alternative. There is a very short carry to the lake shore once you've lifted the boat over the gate. A bonus is that parking is free and there are no height restrictions on the layby.
    We found this one very useful. There was also no 'no overnight parking' notice at this one, so we stayed there overnight. The conditions do vary greatly depending on wind direction. The two islands provide interesting places to explore and we found it very interesting and enjoyable, despite five hail showers in one day.
    Will n Vicky

Default Formal Statement of Access

Hi, this site, which list all the Lake District lakes, seems to say that only groups need to phone ahead. It also suggests the car park near Armboth as being the best???

http://www.lakedistrictoutdoors.co.u...ies.cfm?id=200

I don't know - just posting the link in case it is useful to someone.

Ben
    One year olds want four meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Paper...
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Default Thirlmere, Photo coverage and other notes

I like Thirlmere. This picture taken on a recent trip gives a feel of the lake.

I won't repeat the info. in the previous posts rather hope that you might find useful and enjoy a photo coverage of the lake with this link to my Picasa Album of photographs. You can view the images one by one, as a slideshow or better still click on the map at bottom right of the page and view the images thumbnailed on the map. I have added notes for each photograph which I hope will be of interest. I find it best to view the Google Map as a birds eye photo as the map isn't very informative.

An on-line OS map of the lake is available at multimap.

IMHO the best map of the The lake can be found in "An Atlas of The English Lakes" by John Wilson Parker. This Atlas is a work of art and should be on every Lake District lovers shelf. I have to confess that I bend the rules and photocopy pages for use while paddling. Full of great information.

Camping is available at Bridge End Farm a couple of hundred yards from the dam at the north end. I would not suggest portaging down the road though; this is Lakeland!

Wild camping is problamatic on this as it is on all other Lakes in the District. United Utilities make it very clear that it is not allowed. That said there are locations to be found but I'll leave it to you to hunt them out.

A word on the islands
    . UU on their noticeboard tell you that landing on them is not allowed due to their sensitive nature for ground nesting birds. On the water the signs on the islands are hard to see. A blanket ban seems a bit of overkill really when other sites important for breeding birds only limit access in the spring/early summer. I haven't hesitated to visit during autumn & winter.
    Aslan

Default Armboth Access

Great access to beautiful water. No height restriction, good parking (P & D 2 for 2 hours)and ok toilets. Entrance to lake shore though pedestrian gate - easy to lift the Prospector over. A couple with a heavy Pelican proved it was also possible to open the double gates and drive their vehicle onto the foreshore to save a carry. The beach is stony and shelves gently for about 30 m. Grassy patches for a relaxed picnic. Perfect weather blessed a paddle down to the damn and up the opposite shore. We explored the island about 300 m up to the right from Armboth car park. Peaceful with signs of campfire and possible camping. Stunning views down to Blencathra, my Dad's favourite mountain. We had a brilliant day and shall definitely be back.
    Do what you love, love what you do,
    Shoo bee doo bee dooooo!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log