Thread: Ennerdale Water

Default Ennerdale Water

More information to follow
    Last edited by MagiKelly; 12th-August-2018 at 04:39 PM.

Default Useful Access Summary

A useful summary of access, parking, permits etc may be found at:
    http://www.lakedistrictoutdoors.co.u...ies.cfm?id=195

Ben
    One year olds want four meals a day: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and Paper...
    Two year olds want whatever is most dangerous to get to... (Then to throw it on the floor.)

Default Ennerdale Access

I had always been under the mistaken impression that it was necessary to get access permission for a specific trip - ie book the day well before hand. I've been in touch with United Utilities on this and they assure me that individuals just need to apply for an annual permit which is free. Nothing further is required.

Groups however do need to book a specific day. I do have to wonder therefore what the point of requiring an individual permit is then. Ours not to reason why and all that.
    Aslan

Many thanks to happybunny for the link. I grew up in Carlisle - also known as the centre of the universe - and know and love the Lakes. I am always surprised and disappointed by the limited access to all that great looking Lake District water. Lake District Outdoors may claim, "The finest open water paddling in the world? We like to think so, and thousands of canoeing enthusiasts visit every year to experience the unique charms of the Lake District". It is just such a great shame that there is such a chronic lack of easy launching with parking facilities that those thousands of canoeists spend ages travelling around trying to get onto the water.

Quote Originally Posted by aslan View Post
    Groups however do need to book a specific day. I do have to wonder therefore what the point of requiring an individual permit is then. Ours not to reason why and all that.
    Perhaps the 'individual' permits, are just to help monitor the amount of useage and any sudden increase. I can see why groups would have to book ahead though. It's a soulful place, I'm sure between UU and the people who live nearby, who would not want to see loads of groups arriving daily. Also, considering the put-in and the land that has to be accessed to get there. Keeping numbers and total number of vehicles to a minimum is a good ideal.

TGB
    Last edited by TGB; 28th-January-2009 at 09:46 AM. Reason: One less typo.
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    Keeping numbers and total number of vehicles to a minimum is a good ideal.

TGB
    Agree completely. At least the system does away with the annoying notion that an individual should have to worry about locating a permit issuing point/individual, at a time convenient to them, for a day paddle. I have often wondered what response I would get if I knocked on said persons door at 6.00am to buy my pass.
    Aslan

I was researching Ennerdale just before this was posted.

It was recommended by a hill walking friend of mine.

Due to happy circumstances we have to get our main holliday in early this year (April) and want sollitude but not too far from civillisation (we did loch Shiel last year).

Ennerdale sounds like a good option with a well provided scout camp on it's shores yet still one of the least visited lakes in the area.

Thanks for posting further info.

Happy Bunny....any info on paddling with tiny ones may be needed in the near future
    Thinking of ways to get the sack, so I can Canoe more often.

Default Free Permit for Ennerdale Water

I don't know if anyone else has recent experience of this but I saw the details here and decided to apply for a free permit from UU to paddle on Ennerdale Water. Just got a letter back from them today with a form to fill in and return AND they say that they need a 30+VAT administration fee for all permits!
    Mark Whittaker
    The Marple Website
    http://www.marple-uk.com
    http://visitmarple.co.uk

I e'mailed the scout camp at Ennerdale, enquiring about camping availability and mentioned taking the odd paddle..didn't get a reply so will wing it with the option of going some place else if it doesn't work out.

Must say 30 + vat is a bit steep for admin charges....my solicitor don't charge that for sending a letter !!
    Thinking of ways to get the sack, so I can Canoe more often.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Whit View Post
    ...30+VAT administration fee for all permits!
    But at least the permit isn't being charged for.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Looking at the UU site it appears that the 30 charge is for issuing an 'Event' permit? Found a mention of the free permit, which runs from March to March on a Lakes info site, but can't find anything on any of the official sites regarding permits/access to Ennerdale.

Any further info would be gratefully received, otherwise will work under the 'better to ask for forgiveness rather than to ask for permission' proverb

Jace

Unhappy

I did apply and receive a 12 month permit, March to March, for an admin fee of 30+VAT.

If I can dig it out I'll let you have more details.

We only had one attempt at Ennerdale in the last 12 months and the weather was appalling so we ended up walking round instead of canoeing. I think I did a blog on it. So I guess I'm going to have to renew
    Mark Whittaker
    The Marple Website

I have paddled it on a cold winter Sunday when there's less chance of a NW Water official being about
    Really good scenic paddle,but you can get round the circumference with stops, in about three hours.

Found it. Can't tell you a lot more except that it's an annual permit, runs from 1st April to 31st March and allows for an estimated 25 visits with 2 attendees (I think that's what I put on the application form).

The contact details are:

UU
    The Old Sawmill
    Thirlmere
    Keswick
    CA12 4TQ
    017687 72334

Wonder if we can squeeze in a visit this month before it expires!
    Mark Whittaker
    The Marple Website

I was walking over Crag Fell yesterday looking down on Ennerdale and was considering coming back for a paddle in the future so e-mailed United Utilities to find out the latest rules on permits.

I've just received a reply which states :

" You no longer require a permit to canoe on Ennerdale as an individual so you can go whenever you wish. "

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Pirate View Post

[/FONT]" You no longer require a permit to canoe on Ennerdale as an individual so you can go whenever you wish. "

Excellent news! Might have to go & try that one next time I'm up that way.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Pirate View Post
    I was walking over Crag Fell yesterday looking down on Ennerdale and was considering coming back for a paddle in the future so e-mailed United Utilities to find out the latest rules on permits.

" You no longer require a permit to canoe on Ennerdale as an individual so you can go whenever you wish. "

Thanks for that info. Would you mind sharing the UU email address you used so that I can get one from them that I can printout ready for a visit?

Cheers,
    Mark Whittaker
    The Marple Website

I thought the same thing myself so I printed the email - and laminated it - in triplicate.
    Just in case!

Anyhoo, here's the address: edward.holt@uuplc.co.uk

which I found here: http://www.wildennerdale.co.uk/contact.html
    There's a Bluebird in my heart