Thread: Brianne, Llyn

Default Brianne, Llyn

Llyn Brianne is a man made lake or reservoir in the headwaters of the River Tywi. It was constructed by Wimpey Construction in the late 1960s and early 1970s in order to regulate the flow in the River Tywi to support a large potable water abstraction at Nantgaredig in the lower reaches of the river near Carmarthen. This abstraction provides water to the Velindre water treatment works and the treated water is piped to a large area of South Wales up to the borders of Cardiff.

The dam is a crushed and larger rock clay filled dam. All materials being obtained in the area itself. In essence it is a constructed mountain blocking the valley. The clay was harvested higher up the valley near Soar a Mynydd chapel closer to Tregaron.Much of the rock was harvested at the site including that which was removed to build the spillway. An on site crusher was used to reduce larger rocks to the various sizes required. A round the clock labouring system enabled its completion almost two years ahead of schedule.

Because of the importance of the River Tywi salmon and trout fisheries, special protective measures were incorporated into the construction of the reservoir including a smolt trap and a restocking programme using artificially raised parr. Releases of water from the dam tend to be very cold and are also blamed by anglers for a reduction in the quality of the fishery.

The spillway of the dam is a notable tourist attraction when the reservoir is overtopping. The dam is supposedly the UK's biggest standing at a height of 300ft

Does anyone have any info regarding access and permissions for Llyn Briane? Its reasonably closeto me (Llandeilo)

Taran
    Taran: Chaos, Panic and disorder? My work here is done!

Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post
    Does anyone have any info regarding access and permissions for Llyn Briane? Its reasonably closeto me (Llandeilo)

Taran
    I did drive up a few years back.... It seemed a typical Welsh Water reservoir - signs saying "No this, no that everywhere." It is a disgrace that large stretches of open water should not be open to the public. You'd have to sign a solemn oath not to try to paddle the spillway . There is a thread on UKRGB with links to video clips of spillway paddling!
    You don't stop playing because you get old - you get old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by twopigs View Post
    ...It seemed a typical Welsh Water reservoir - signs saying "No this, no that everywhere."...
    So even if there is an access agreement; physicallly getting to the water, would be problematic at best.

TGB
    May the gentleness of morning, greet your silent passage through endless waters...

May all your winds be gentle. And for ww - May it rain the night before.

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post
    So even if there is an access agreement; physicallly getting to the water, would be problematic at best.

TGB
    I know of one possible launching place with vehicular access almost to the waters edge, but the last time I was there I didn't have my canoeing head on. Next time I'm up that way I'll scout it properly.

Taran
    Taran: Chaos, Panic and disorder? My work here is done!

There are a fair number of possible launch sites if you keep your eyes peeled you will spot a couple just off the road on the east side of the lake - or at the north end of the lake there is a road junction where you can turn left for Tregaron - this is shown on the map as being beside the river - but in practice its beside the lake and there is a car park.....

The sprog has a mate who uses the Pen-Y-Gurnos side of the lake for horse riding.

Lovely area badly spoiled by plantation.

Journal Entries

Default Brianne, Llyn

This is not far from where I live - we paddle the upper Tywi in the winter. I have always thought a w/e on the lake would be a nice way to spend some time.

If my memory serves me right there was/is some covenant about no boat use. However I have seen a postcard for sale in some local shops which shows several kayaks on the lake edge!

I don,t imagine there are any "officials' about at w/e and therefore worth a go.

Keep the site informed if you dip a paddle ion.

Bob Andrews

Journal Entries

Anyone got a web map address?
    The perfect canoe -
    Like a leaf on the water

I've got in at the spill way car park before. There are some rocks you hop down. Agree with Bob about the low chance of officials at the weekend.

I've thought about doing the lake for sometime. Only done the spillway before. Think I'd use one of the Northern access points to be on the safe side. It can get busy with walkers around the spill way car park and it only takes one do-gooder to report your number plate for a 3000 fine!

Pierre, Google maps address - 52.138756,-3.748055

Default Llyn Brianne

Quote Originally Posted by Taran View Post

Taran
    When I researched this last year, Welsh Water told me there was no canoing allowed here but I have since seen video on You Tube of people kayaking down the overflow so now I am not sure.

Paddling down the slipway is illegal and did wind the authorities up somewhat when footage ended up on national television recently. Before this incident it had been done regularly. Legend has it that the first descent was during the construction by one of the navvies who did it on a shovel. He ended up in hospital with intimate burns.

If you are going to do it, borrow someone else's paddle

The upper reaches of the reservoir are very remote. There is a road that runs close to the North West side, and there would be easy access across open ground or through trees to the reservoir.

Access to this road is a fantastic drive if you come over the top from Abergwesyn. Follow the river Irfon out of Llanwrtyd Wells to Abergwesyn.. Take a left turn to follow the river up through its upper gorges and then go over the tops and down into the valley. The views and country side are stunning.

The road along the lake has streetview if you want to check it out.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...,0.475845&z=12

You could have a fantastic weekend paddling the reservoir on the Saturday and then the middle Tywi on the Sunday (Burial Chamber to Dolauhiron Bridge) http://www.canoewales.com/afon-tywi.aspx If the Middle Tywi were too low, you could just have another day on the reservoir.

I'm quite tempted myself now...

Journal Entries

Default Llyn Brianne

You could be the first to run the spillway in an open!

I am sure there is some covenant which bans boating on the reservoir, but I have seen holiday postcards which include a number of kayaks on the shore. The recent petition for greater access on inland waters in Wales may help, but don't hold your breath. I have also considered this as a w/e in the wild.

The river run (probably far too low in summer periods - not to mention hassle with the anglers) is a brialliant grade 2 run with stunning scenenery. Care is needed in the gorge sections as trees are frequently lodged there. The last drop at Dolauhrion can catch you out but there is aa big run out pool to recover kit!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    You could be the first to run the spillway in an open!

I am sure there is some covenant which bans boating on the reservoir, but I have seen holiday postcards which include a number of kayaks on the shore. The recent petition for greater access on inland waters in Wales may help, but don't hold your breath. I have also considered this as a w/e in the wild.

The river run (probably far too low in summer periods - not to mention hassle with the anglers) is a brialliant grade 2 run with stunning scenenery. Care is needed in the gorge sections as trees are frequently lodged there. The last drop at Dolauhrion can catch you out but there is aa big run out pool to recover kit!
    Tywi does need water in it. You can check the level if you register with Fishing Visit Wales. I made a note that it would be a bit of a pain at levels less than 0.7m. I have done it at 1.2m and it was stonking.

The Dolauhiron pool is a very useful get out. There is a nice jetty and good paths because the banks belong to the fishing club You can get out river right above the drop onto a footpath if you want to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by TGB View Post

TGB
    Nope - doddle - I found rather a good slipway road about half way along the lake - and a car park at the top end with good access.

Quite close to the Elan system...

Park in layby just across bridge on northern fork at Nant Brwynog. Launch under bridge, 50m from road.

Lots of camping sites on this fork. Seems safe to leave a car.

I know this is an old thread but are you actually allowed to canoe on the resivoir i want to take the family there but dont want to be turned away!

cheers

Paul

Hi Paul
    Its debatable. Welsh Water are supposed to be opening Llyn Brianne for paddling but are reluctant to agree to what Health and Safety conditions they have in place. So I have paddled it on four occasions and have had no problems but that's not to say paddlers are welcome. I am not sure it's patrolled so go for it I say. Pm me if you want to know where to put in.

I just camped and canoed there this weekend gone. There were thirty of us camping with camp fire etc and we had no problems at all from anyone.
    It is a perfect place to gain a little experience because the waters are calm and confined
    Beautiful place to paddle

aman

Quote Originally Posted by aman View Post
    camping with camp fire etc
    Just to note there's quite a lot of Forestry Commission land round Llyn Brianne and camping and camp fires are against the Forestry byelaws unless things have changed in recent years.

Journal Entries

Default LLYN BRIANNE (West Wales)

Thirty people! I am afraid it is numbers like this which attract attention and detract from the wilderness experience of the place.

But that's my opinion and probably not others.

I thought that too, but actually, because of how we were set up it was actually not too bad

This was my intro to Canadian canoes, thanks to Aman