Thread: Strathclyde Loch

Default Strathclyde Loch

Located within Strathclyde Country Park, the Strathclyde Loch is the home of the Strathclyde Park Water-Sports Centre, an internationally renowned water-sports venue that has held rowing events as part of the 1986 Commonwealth Games and the 1996 World Rowing Championships. Covering an area of 200 acres (81 ha) the loch is used for rowing, jet skiing, canoeing, wind-surfing, dingy sailing and water skiing. Training courses for many of these activities are run through either the Scottish Qualifications Authority or the Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.

This loch was artificially created in the 1970s, flooding the area of Bothwellhaugh, including the former mining village of the same name. Approximately 1¼ miles (2 km) of the River Clyde was straightened to run immediately to the west of the loch next to the new M74 motorway

Strathclyde park/loch Requires the payment of a launching fee at the watersports centre because it is managed water. Certainly if you are at the S end. You may get away with it at the N end. (I have asked the SCA to confirm / clarify this situation)

If in a kayak, it requires the presentation of an appropriate * (star) certificate (to show that you won't drown in their care!).

One can also do the short section of the clyde adjacent to the park (no fee), up (S) to the bridge, and down to the M8 bridge is basically flat but does have flow. One could do the short portage back onto the loch (at N end) to get back to the centre, but why bother.

Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.

They don't actually run any courses just verify and assess license holders.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Scots_Charles_River View Post
    Adventure Activities Licensing Authority.

They don't actually run any courses just verify and assess license holders.

Nick
    Not quite sure what the comment about AALA is.

My point referred to the scottish access code, given that the loch has public access in that you can park by it and walk round it at any time, yet the watersports centre wants an access fee.
    The SCA access officer helps sort out any access misunderstandings.

At the moment I'm happy to pay on club nights as we can also get showers and safety cover for the fee paid.
    Philip

the fee is 3.50 (at writing nov 07)

Quote Originally Posted by philipoakley View Post
    Not quite sure what the comment about AALA is.

My point referred to the scottish access code, given that the loch has public access in that you can park by it and walk round it at any time, yet the watersports centre wants an access fee.
    The SCA access officer helps sort out any access misunderstandings.

At the moment I'm happy to pay on club nights as we can also get showers and safety cover for the fee paid.
    Philip
    If you read the first post, it says that the AALA, provide activites, they do not, they assess the provison of activites across the UK, under a remit run by the HSE. Does that clarify things ?

Also, unfortuantely, under the SOAC, if someone has charged for access before the code then they can still charge, not all cases though. The interesting one is the Lake of Menteith and folk being charged for 'landing' on the island. Which is owned by a clan society.

Nick