Thread: Brenig, Llyn

Default Brenig, Llyn

Llyn Brenig is a reservoir located in North Wales, in the heart of the Denbigh moors, on the border between the counties of Conwy and Denbighshire. It is used to manage the flow in the River Dee, Wales as part of the River Dee regulation system which is designed to protect the water supply for North West England and North East Wales, particularly Liverpool and the surrounding area.

Construction began in 1973 and was completed in 1976. It has a capacity of 60 million m³ and was first filled in 1979. Whilst it is not the largest lake in Wales in terms of volume (that title belongs to Bala Lake/ Llyn Tegid), it is the largest in terms of area covered, around 920 acres. It has a perimeter of some 14 miles.

The catchment of the reservoir is very significantly over-reservoired. This means that the reservoir cannot fill from its own catchment within one annual hydrological cycle. When the reservoir level is drawn down it can take several years for it to completely re-fill again. Llyn Brenig is therefore only used during drought conditions when the capacity of Llyn Celyn and Llyn Tegid are no longer predicted to be capable of maintaining the flow in the river Dee

Archaeology
    During construction of the lake, a number of Bronze Age artifacts were found, as was a camp used by Mesolithic hunter/gatherers. This has been dated by radiocarbon analysis of the charcoal from their fires to around 5700 BC. There are a number of archaeological trails around Llyn Brenig; the relics visible include a ring cairn (a Bronze Age burial mound), and several barrows.

A visitor centre to the south of the lake displays a lot of archaeological information about the area.

Watersports
    A number of watersports take place on the lake, including sailing, windsurfing, rafting and canoeing. The Trust enforces a 10 mph limit on the lake, restricting the use of jet-skis and power boats.

Access
    Access is via the B4501, turning north off the A5 at Cerrig-y-drudion

Hi does anyone know if you have to pay a launching fee to canoe on Llyn Brenig? or even if you are allowed to canoe there?

I've been trying to find out for ages , and just seem to be going round in circles.

I've tried asking the visitor center who sells the fishing permits , but they have never got back to me , and when I tried to ask the sailing club (who are -according to a site I found- in negotiations to deal with selling canoeing permits) they just said they don't deal with it yet.

So does this mean we can't canoe there ? or just don't have to pay ?

I was told by the visitor centre that canoes were definately 'not' allowed

According to Welsh Water's website (page 6) " Canoeing available at Llyn Brenig, Llys-y-Frān, Pontsticill and Llandegfedd(organised groups) only by prior arrangements."

Hi, there used to be a watersports centre about 1/2 way up the west shore of Llyn Brenig where you could rent Canadian canoes and kayaks. It's still shown on the OS map but not sure if it's still open. However check out this site: http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Lakes/Llyn_Brenig.htm

as it does say that canoeing is available on this lake and only jet skis and power boats are banned (hurray!).

Llyne Brenig was my first experience of an open Canadian canoe and what made me want to get my own it is a beautiful place with plenty of quiet spots where you can pull ashore. I'd be very surprised if they've banned canoeing. Hope this helps.

I was told 'organised groups only' a couple of years ago when I rang the visitor centre.When I dropped in for a days fishing the only building I could see on the west bank was the sailing club building and only the sailing boat fleet and the angling boats were on view.It would be a gorgeous place to paddle.

thanks for the replies , but its not looking promising

I sent an email on monday to the sailing club asking for clarification but have so far not recieved a reply.If they ever answer I'll post up the details.