Thread: Derwent Reservoir (Derbyshire)

Default Derwent Reservoir (Derbyshire)

Derwent Reservoir is one of three reservoirs in the Upper Derwent Valley in the north east of Derbyshire, England. The River Derwent flows first through Howden Reservoir, then Derwent Reservoir and finally through Ladybower Reservoir. Between them they provide practically all of Derbyshire's water, as well as to a large part of South Yorkshire and as far afield as Nottingham and Leicester.

Derwent Reservoir is around 1.5 miles in length, running broadly north-south, with Howden Dam at the northern end and Derwent Dam at the south. A small island lies near the Howden Dam. The Abbey Brook flows into the reservoir from the east.

At its peak the reservoir covers an area of 70.8 hectares (175 acres) and at its deepest point is 34.7 metres deep

And it would be a lovely place to paddle....
    IF you were actually allowed to!
    Rumour has it that talks are underway to allow use of the Reservoirs for recreational purposes! Fingers crossed!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    And it would be a lovely place to paddle....
    IF you were actually allowed to!
    Rumour has it that talks are underway to allow use of the Reservoirs for recreational purposes! Fingers crossed!!!
    How Sad

I have just driven past today (kinda) on my way back from Sheffield to North Wales. I have not driven along Snake pass for a number of years and had forgotten what a stunning drive it is. I immediately came to see what the paddling options were. Such a shame you can not paddle on the waters.

Although I am sure I noticed some type of craft on the South side of the A57?

Quote Originally Posted by Psittacosis View Post
    ...Although I am sure I noticed some type of craft on the South side of the A57?
    Fermen!

There are a few who have allegedly paddled all three at night. Its apparently very beautiful, when lit by a full moon.

Apparently you can paddle down the river (Upper Derwent) at dawn the next morning, all the way down to Chatsworth where upon a stroppy water bailiff kicks you off (at the planned get out anyway).

These things would scare the carp out of me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_x8wVhBMFQ

Looks like a possible paddle in June 09! Full moon, short night, and no spawning fish so no upsetting the fishermen!!!