Thread: Grafham Water

Default Grafham Water

Grafham Water (TL 150 680) is a reservoir between the villages of Grafham and Perry in the English county of Cambridgeshire (Huntingdonshire District).
    T
    he water is retained by an earth dam built in 1965 and is extracted and processed at an adjacent Anglian Water treatment plant before being piped away as drinking water.

The reservoir was immediately colonised by wildlife and a nature reserve surrounding the western side of the reservoir was soon created to help maintain and enhance the site's potential. The nature reserve contains semi-natural ancient (at least 400 years old) woodlands and more recent plantation woodlands, grasslands and wetland habitats such as reedbeds, willow and open water.

Grafham water is popular for a range of leisure activities including boating and fly fishing

Do you know if you need permission to boat here?

Byelaws are here:

http://www.anglianwaterleisure.co.uk...yelaws2004.pdf

which says

BOATS AND BOATING
    17. Use and Sailing of Boats etc.
    17.1 No person shall, without the consent of Anglian Water launch, use or sail any boat on any water in a water park.
    17.2 No person shall use or sail on any water in a water park any boat
    but it is a well known sailing spot so ........

I suspect you need to contact: http://www.grafham.org/

Results of an e-mail to the club and Anglian Water isn't encouraging, not sure on the rules or best practices so I've edited out names/e-mail addresses and phone numbers :-

First mail went to Anglian Water :-

"Dear Mr. *****

Many thanks for your enquiry. As far as I am aware day sailing is permitted on Grafham Water without being a member of the Sailing Club. With regards to the launch of your craft, it would be best to contact the Sailing Club separately as they decide and control the rules of the Sailing Club. Their telephone number is ****************** or you can visit their website at **************** and email them at admin@grafham.org.

Best regards

Visitors' Service Team "

And from the sailing club (bold added) :-

"Hello ******
    Yes day sailing in dinghies is welcomed but I'm afraid we don't allow canoes.

To day sail you need to wear personal buoyancy, have insurance for the craft (third party liability to £2 million) and be competent sailors! Launching is restricted to our site at Perry. Charges are: weekdays and Saturdays: £6 per craft and £7 per adult sailor, £2 for juniors (under 18) and non sailors
    Sunday: £9 per craft and £9 per adult, £2 for juniors and non sailors.

We are open every day from 10 am till an hour before sunset (closed Christmas and Boxing Days and New Year's Day.

Regards

Club Secretary
    Last edited by Kane; 31st-August-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Hmph, the plot thickens:
    they do allow canoes:

http://www.intcanoe.org.uk/introduction1.html

sailing canoes, so if you take a tarp and a couple of poles........

not exactly cheap is it?
    Last edited by Willpower; 31st-August-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Default Grafham Water Centre

Grafham Water Centre are based on the Lake and they take canoes, do raft building, kayaking and sailing on the lake. Perhaps we need to talk with them about launching a canoe or two from there. I for one would be interested in paddling across the lake, although I gather it does get quite choppy sometimes!

I will have a word with people I know and see what is possible ....

Janet
    Coaching to help make people better paddlers

Went to Grafham once, all the car parks had height restriction barriers on them, so couldn't park the motorhome. Won't bother to go again!

Default BCU "where to canoe page"

have just noticed on this link

http://www.bcu.org.uk/our-sport/gett...ere-to-paddle/

That Grafham is shown with a link as a canoe trail, sadly the link dosn't work and I cannot find any reference to a canoe trail on the site the link takes you too.

does anyone know any different? as far as I'm aware canoeing is only allowed on Grafham whilst on a course there.

I have written to the fishing lodge to ask if they would allow launch and use of a persons own canoe (for a fee) as i for one would love to fish grafham from a canoe. I think that would be a lovely day out, but maybe Rutland would be more interesting given its inlets and shape.

Default Grafham

We had an OCSG meet there a couple of times some years ago. I arranged it thro the outdoor education centre as I knew the deputy principal at the time. Canoeing not usually allowed but we were sailing canoes and under the auspices of the centre. The lake itself is rather boring compared with say Rutland for the reasons mentioned above. It does get choppy with a good breeze and the sailing club seemed to think they owned the place when we were also legitimately sailing in the same patch of water as them - the exchange went along the lines of "Oi! We're racing!" The reply from one of our guys was "So are we!" - this was during one of the races we do at some meets.

Rutland Water is only 20-mins away straight up the A1. There are two sailing clubs (North Shore & South Shore) If you launch from a grassy bank away from both sailing clubs, neither of them will know if you have paid your 10 day fee or not as they will assume that you have paid it to the other club!! They also don't check and are quite relaxed.

Another good place to go is Ferry Meadows on the edge of Peterborough & the River Nene. There are a number of lakes including a dedicated water sports lake, with sailing club, slip way etc. if you want all the facilities, plus you can paddle under the low bridge into the other lakes and out onto the river Nene if you so wish.

Tallington Lakes are 15-mins drive North of Peterborough and a few miles to the West of Market Deeping. It is basically a large disused quary that has been converted into a water sports centre with various lakes for differing craft. I.e. Water Skiing, Sailing, Canoeing etc.

We live 2-miles from the banks of the river Welland, which is why we bought the Ranger 16 canoe. Unlike our Enterprise saling dingy, where we need a slipway to launch it and there are none near us, the Ranger 16 can be dropped into the water by hand and off we go. No other boats to worry about, just us and the wildlife.

Most of the canals and rivers to the East of Peterborough are called the Middle Level. It is possible to use these rivers without cost. A lot of people with Narrow Boats live on these canals because they are effectively saving around 800 per year in licence fees, but technically they need to un-tie and move on every 48-hours, but most only move on once a month. Canoes and other boats mess about on the Middle Level during the summer months, but any slipways are privately owned and the owners charge a fee for them to be used. Not a problem for canoes here either as we don't need slipways.

Hope this helps.
    Chris.

Default Hi chris you mentioned the welland whereabouts can you put in on the welland?

Quote Originally Posted by Steamerpoint View Post
    Rutland Water is only 20-mins away straight up the A1. There are two sailing clubs (North Shore & South Shore) If you launch from a grassy bank away from both sailing clubs, neither of them will know if you have paid your 10 day fee or not as they will assume that you have paid it to the other club!! They also don't check and are quite relaxed.

Another good place to go is Ferry Meadows on the edge of Peterborough & the River Nene. There are a number of lakes including a dedicated water sports lake, with sailing club, slip way etc. if you want all the facilities, plus you can paddle under the low bridge into the other lakes and out onto the river Nene if you so wish.

Tallington Lakes are 15-mins drive North of Peterborough and a few miles to the West of Market Deeping. It is basically a large disused quary that has been converted into a water sports centre with various lakes for differing craft. I.e. Water Skiing, Sailing, Canoeing etc.

We live 2-miles from the banks of the river Welland, which is why we bought the Ranger 16 canoe. Unlike our Enterprise saling dingy, where we need a slipway to launch it and there are none near us, the Ranger 16 can be dropped into the water by hand and off we go. No other boats to worry about, just us and the wildlife.

Most of the canals and rivers to the East of Peterborough are called the Middle Level. It is possible to use these rivers without cost. A lot of people with Narrow Boats live on these canals because they are effectively saving around 800 per year in licence fees, but technically they need to un-tie and move on every 48-hours, but most only move on once a month. Canoes and other boats mess about on the Middle Level during the summer months, but any slipways are privately owned and the owners charge a fee for them to be used. Not a problem for canoes here either as we don't need slipways.

Hope this helps.
    Chris.
    I live in rutland and usually find myself on the nene as its near my workshop where my canoe lives but have yet to investigate the welland.is there a good stretch near stamford possibly from the meadows or can you suggest somewhere I can put in and get a days paddling in?
    Many Thanks
    Alick

You could try this slipway just outside Crowland. There are a few posts to stop cars with trailers using the slipway without a valid licence & key, but the 1.5 meter gaps are big enough to portage your canoe past.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,119.39,,0,0

Default Thanks for that aren't google maps great!

You could try this slipway just outside Crowland. There are a few posts to stop cars with trailers using the slipway without a valid licence & key, but the 1.5 meter gaps are big enough to portage your canoe past.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...12,119.39,,0,0
    Thanks for that
    Aren't google maps great!
    Is the current easy enough to paddle back up to where I get in or will I have to organise car ferrying.Also is there anything nasty to watch out for in either direction in the way of parts unsuitable for a novice like myself.
    Cheers
    Alick

Quote Originally Posted by alick burt View Post
    Thanks for that
    Aren't google maps great!
    Is the current easy enough to paddle back up to where I get in or will I have to organise car ferrying.Also is there anything nasty to watch out for in either direction in the way of parts unsuitable for a novice like myself.
    Cheers
    Alick
    There are virtually no currents to talk about as it's like a mill pond. If you get anywhere near Spalding (About 8-miles away) there is a weir to avoid, but this is easliy signposted and not really possible to go down unless you negotiate the barrier.

Here's a link to a video we made when we first got the canoe and it's at the Crowland slipway. You will see how calm the water is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQrC...layer_embedded

Default Thanks again Chris I might go and check it out today.

There are virtually no currents to talk about as it's like a mill pond. If you get anywhere near Spalding (About 8-miles away) there is a weir to avoid, but this is easliy signposted and not really possible to go down unless you negotiate the barrier.

Here's a link to a video we made when we first got the canoe and it's at the Crowland slipway. You will see how calm the water is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOQrC...layer_embedded
    Thanks for that the video is cool I like the electric motor but I think i'm just too much of a purist at the moment and like practising my paddle strokes!
    maybe when my arms wear out...
    I may go and check it out today if i get time.
    cheers
    Alick

Hi

If you have a navigation key from the EA it will allow you access into the car park at Crowland bridge.
    It's a lovely stretch to paddle upstream to Market Deeping or down to Spalding providing a good few sailing opportunities.