Thread: Pitsford Water

Default Pitsford Water

Pitsford Water is a reservoir in Northamptonshire, England, about 6 miles north of Northampton. It is the third-largest in the United Kingdom, with a surface area of 2.85 square miles. It is operated by Anglian Water. It is nearby the village of Pitsford, for which it is named, and also to Brixworth and to Brixworth Country Park. The lake is used for sailing, birdwatching and fishing

Default Is Canoeing Allowed Here?

I live near here and would love to paddle it but if you go on Anglia Waters web site it says canoeing is not allowed. There is a sailing club and fishing from boats but I have never seen a canoe. Does anyone know different?

Quote Originally Posted by simmo View Post
    I live near here and would love to paddle it but if you go on Anglia Waters web site it says canoeing is not allowed. There is a sailing club and fishing from boats but I have never seen a canoe. Does anyone know different?
    Fifteen years ago I was an active member of the sailing club there - and I have taken a kayak out for a mess about.

There was a group of what appeared to be county outdoor education folks with kayaks - and a poor notion of how to paddle them.

Top guess would be to get in touch with the sailing club http://www.northamptonsailingclub.org/index.asp

Hi Simmo

How did you get on re. Pitsford?

I used to be a member of the sailing club and as far as I know they don't like canoes - possibly ok for members to paddle, am not sure.
    Joining the club will cost you 350

However - dawn/dusk paddles might be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by neil. View Post
    Hi Simmo

How did you get on re. Pitsford?

I used to be a member of the sailing club and as far as I know they don't like canoes - possibly ok for members to paddle, am not sure.
    Joining the club will cost you 350

However - dawn/dusk paddles might be a good idea

Hi Neil

I rang the sailing club and as you say they dont like canoes. I was told that I would not be allowed to paddle on the reservoir. Never Mind like you say there is no one about at 5am when the sun comes up.LOL Not that I would ever paddle where I was not suppose to!!hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by DougR View Post
    Fifteen years ago I was an active member of the sailing club there - and I have taken a kayak out for a mess about.

There was a group of what appeared to be county outdoor education folks with kayaks - and a poor notion of how to paddle them.

Around 92-95 I was a regular at the schools sailing centre up at Pitsford, they had a large pre-fab building a bit further round from the sailing club which I'm sure was still there 6 months ago when I jogged past, not sure if it still runs though.

Over the summer, they ran "outward bound" type courses where kids came there for a week, camped and got lessons, which were probably the "education folks" you refer to - they always sailed the Mirrors as they were slow and stable and Kayaked in large groups, badly.

The centre was open march-october for local kids to use, but hardly anybody did - I think there was only about 10 of us that went much. We went there weekday evenings as well as weekends, and just did whatever we felt like doing - it was very quiet in the week. We did a lot of kayaking when the wind was down, windsurfed or sailed Toppers, Lasers, GP's and Fireballs when it was blowing - there were probably 5 boats/boards/kayaks for every kid on the evenings I was up there.

Pitsford Reservoir is cut in half by the road causeway that runs from Holcot to Brixworth, I wouldn't chance my arm going on the "fisherman's side" of it as they would probably kick up, but I'd have a go on the other side where the sailing club is - they only seem to sail round and round the marker buoys near the damn end. When I went there, we used to paddle & sail round the various coves right up to the causeway in a small group and never got any hassle.

You would get easy access to the quiet bit of the "sailing side" of the reservoir from the carpark just off the causeway road & just stay clear of the sailing club