Thread: Kielder Water

Default Kielder Water

Kielder Water is a large man-made reservoir in Northumberland in North East England. It is the largest artificial lake in the United Kingdom by capacity and it is surrounded by Kielder Forest, the largest man-made woodland in Europe. It was planned in the late 1960s to satisfy an expected rise in demand for water to support a booming UK industrial economy. It was constructed between 1975 and 1981 and was opened by the Queen in 1982. It took two years for the valley to fill with water completely once construction was completed.

The decline of traditional heavy industry, together with more water-efficient industrial processes and better control of water supply leakage, served to undermine the original justification for the reservoir and many came to criticise the government-funded project as a white elephant. In recent years, however, Kielder Water has come into its own, with underground springs ensuring that it always remains at high levels, regardless of the prevailing climate condition. This means that while the south of England is often forced to implement drought strategies and hosepipe bans, North East England enjoys plentiful water supplies.

The main conurbations served by the reservoir are Tyne & Wear and Teesside. The reservoir is linked to the exit point of the Derwent Reservoir in County Durham, with a pipeline fed from the North Tyne river below the Kielder dam. The Derwent Reservoir remains the primary source of water for Tyne and Wear, so water from Kielder can be used to supplement the flow of the River Derwent when the reservoir above is at low levels, and also to provide water into the Derwent Reservoir's distribution system. The Kielder pipeline cannot be used to supplement the water supply to the Derwent Reservoir itself.

With water shortages in the south of the UK apparently worsening by the year, some opinions, especially the privatised water companies, favour the building of further reservoirs of this size. Opposing arguments favour better water-resource management, improved conservation measures, control of leakage and changes in social attitudes to the use of water to manage the apparent shortfall.

Kielder Water is owned by Northumbrian Water, and holds 200 billion litres, making it the largest reservoir in the United Kingdom by capacity (Rutland Water is the largest by surface area). Kielder Water has a 27 mile shoreline.

It is also one of the region's major tourist venues, attracting over a quarter of a million visitors a year who come to enjoy the wide range of leisure opportunities on offer.

There are two main visitor centres at Kielder Water - Leaplish waterside park and Tower Knowe visitor centre - and other facilities at Kielder Village, Falstone and Stannersburn villages

According to Northumbrian Water, the owners of the lake, boats up to 10m in length may use the lake.

Leaplish waterside park is the launch point and 'casual' boat launches (ie us) must provide evidence of competency to the staff - a 'recognised certificate'

The website for the watersports centre is...

http://www.nwl.co.uk/Dayvisiting.aspx#Water_sports

Jay
    It was like that when I got here...

kielder is a great place to paddle but costs a lot to launch and park (I think it was 8 a day when I last went). Its all a bit too "well managed" - i.e. restricted - no over night parking or camping and only one official launch point at leaplish. they seem pretty lax about proof of competence. you're supposed to have 3rd party insurance too but they hardly ever ask for proof of this. also remember they don't allow paddling between october and march. I can't help thinking they'd do a bit better for themselves if there were less restrictions.

rob
    Enjoy every day.

Default Access rant

kielder really infuriates me.

As much as I'd like to paddle there I refuse to have to produce evidence of my ability. I'm not prepared to pay out to gain a piece of paper just to satisfy some companies liability concern. I'm quite happy to accept full responsibility for my own safety. If I was leading a group that would be another matter. And what's with the winter ban - thats just plain nannying. Do they close the adjacent forest in winter - no.

There's just no consistency on access to this sort of open water - one water company having one rule and one having another. Think of it in a climbing context; no one would dream of thinking it sensible to ask you for proof that you could safely climb a particular crag. Its potentially dangerous and you do it on that basis.

I don't need this sort of agro so the Lake Districts gain is Kielders loss

What's even more annoying I pay my water bills to Northumbria water.

End of rant.
    Aslan

who do northumbrian water think they are im going in winter and i will launch were i dam please if they want me they can come and get me

A few years ago
    Me and a friend paddled the full length of Kielder where we were met by a very angry warden at then end who was after a confrontation

There is only parts of the water that can be paddled in and around the launch area we were also informed you had to have two per boat as it was safer

There is plenty places out there to paddle with no hassle or charge

Just had a read up on their regulations...
    Nanny state gone mad, even if you turn up with all the certificates, the insurance, proof of ability, etc,
    if there arent 2 sail boats out on the water - you cant go out
    and only Apr to Nov

one to not bother with....

Quote Originally Posted by Sherb View Post
    Nanny state gone mad, even if you turn up with all the certificates, the insurance, proof of ability, etc,
    and only Apr to Nov

Nail and head springs to mind

Quote Originally Posted by Sherb View Post
    and only Apr to Nov

That's the whole point, they've basically got it sewn up, no matter what, unless of course you happen to be a professional coach/organisation.

It's nothing to do with the "nanny state" however, it's to do with a very large, private company, being allowed to manipulate "health and safety" guidelines to very effectively exclude the general public.

It's quite funny when you think about it; if they weren't so far up their own as, they might figure out that, in fact, they could easily charge a fiver a day, plus parking, for canoeists to use the water. If they advertised the fact, I think they would increase their turnover quite rapidly, possibly out-stripping revenue from fishing. ( fishing probably having quite a bit to do with the paddling restrictions in the first place)

To be honest, it's really not that good up there anyway. It's pretty bleak and windswept, with very little to see.

cheers

Steve

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Downriver from the Bywell bridge over the Tyne

I can see a mass paddle coming up with the put in in the river and after a little poling ........

"Pedal five hundred miles on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature" - Pierre Trudeau

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

The sad thing is, we used to own it.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log

Default kielder

dont go to kielder water as you will not be welcome they have so many restrictions i launched anyway as i didnt have my sevylor tahiti insured and wild camped on a lovly little island near the wier that seperates the two resevours to many midges my advice keep driving till you reach the lake district

Just recently got a SOT, have been out in the sea (playing in the surf in bays, not expeditions) been up and round Warksworth on the Coquet and now thought I would have a look at Kielder.
    As others have said it does seem restrictive. Must have insurance (counts me out), must go in two's (counts me out) must have certificate (counts me out). Seems to be an effort to keep the individual out.
    I will keep looking on this wonderfully informative SoTp website/Forum, some of the recorded trips are brilliant. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by cr8zymacc View Post
    dont go to kielder water as you will not be welcome they have so many restrictions i launched anyway as i didnt have my sevylor tahiti insured and wild camped on a lovly little island near the wier that seperates the two resevours to many midges my advice keep driving till you reach the lake district
    I really couldn't agree more-it's really not worth the drive up there in my opinion, far too much sterile conifer plantation, midges and frankly, as I've said before, not a lot to see.

A good training water with the right people but not a place for the unwary, inexperienced and/or poorly equipped.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。

I agree too.

Go to the Lakes instead, or a few miles north and over the border, where they don't have these ridiculous restrictions.

Here comes the future and you can't run from it
    If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it

Crow Trip Log