Thread: Ore, Loch

Default Ore, Loch

Loch Ore is a loch situated in Fife, Scotland. It forms the core of Lochore Meadows Country Park. It is used mainly for leisure purposes, especially yachting, although the uneven depth can make the likes of speed boating problematic.

The Loch holds the annual Scottish Open Water Championships where the swimmers compete in a 5 km, 2 km and 4×1 km relay swim

Lochore would be a handy wee resource for us types if it wasn't for:

1) the launch fee (£4? £5?) which might be fair enough if it was a big expanse of water to make at least a half day of it, but ...

2) you have to stay within sight of the boathouse in the eastern bit of the loch.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|lochore#map=56.14592,-3.34472|16|32&loc=GB:56.15468:-3.3223:14|lochore|Lochore, Lochgelly, Fife, Scotland, KY5 8

... which is the more boring end of the loch.

I have booked on a couple of the open canoe courses they run there, but both have been cancelled due to lack of numbers.

I can see water from my loft, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by StewRat View Post
    2) you have to stay within sight of the boathouse in the eastern bit of the loch.
    Why?

Cheers,
    Mark

As I understand it, the loch is owned by Fife Council and the launch fee is (perhaps partly) justified as funding the lifeguard provision. But the lifeguards can't see past the islands so you have to stay on that side of them.

Health warning: this could be out of date info now and things may have changed. If they have, I'd be more likely to go there for a wee practice paddle more often.

Nope, your info's right - unless their policy has changed over the last few weeks. I got the same story, only the rather nice lass in the ticket office let me proceed without taking any cash off me. This was around 6.45pm one evening.

The jobsworth safety guard (who's actually also a pretty decent bloke, stuck with a daft situation defined by Fife Council's safety-gestapo) has to be able to see that you haven't fallen out of your boat, but he's only a jobsworth till 8pm so after that you can paddle around all over the place and nobody'll turn a hair.

It's difficult to avoid the conclusion that they're not that fussed if mishaps occur, only that they mustn't during their hours of responsibility.

Whether there's actually any local bylaws passed to back up this stance they're taking, I don't know. If so, they probably override the access legislation.
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

Journal Entries

If they have a history of charging for that section of the loch then this can continue but I suspect that under the access laws you are now able to paddle the rest of the loch in your own canoe as long as you can launch form a point out with the area that is chargeable.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly View Post
    If they have a history of charging for that section of the loch then this can continue but I suspect that under the access laws you are now able to paddle the rest of the loch in your own canoe as long as you can launch form a point out with the area that is chargeable.
    This is where I'm confused about the access laws. I thought that you were allowed to cross land to get to water. I can understand them charging a parking fee but if you walked to the water how can they charge? What's to stop any land owner charging people for launching their boats?

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by theMark View Post
    This is where I'm confused about the access laws. I thought that you were allowed to cross land to get to water. I can understand them charging a parking fee but if you walked to the water how can they charge? What's to stop any land owner charging people for launching their boats?

Cheers,
    Mark
    You can charge if it was in your by laws before the access law was put in place

I just had a chat with them you are not charged if you put in after 7-7:30 during the week and 6:00-6:30 at the weekend as there is no safety cover on the loch. (they cant charge you for a service they are not providing)

BUT!! they cant tell you when or where you can paddle according to the access code.

Castle semple changed from charging for access to charging for changing room use for this reason, we never bothered with by-laws.

I would ask to see it in writing, and then pay, but then i am bolshy, ask anyone!!

if you are looking for a canoe course and are willing to come to renfrewshire come to Castle Semple

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

if you can get 4 people we will run you a course privately!

Willie
    Last edited by Willag_mac; 5th-July-2008 at 02:41 PM.
    Inside every adult there is a child wondering, "What Happened!!"]

www.clydemuirshiel.co.uk

Hi Willag_mac, thanks for making it clear. That makes sense to me now.

cheers,
    Mark

Default Lochore Meadows

Have a read of this thread that I started a while back about Loch Ore

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...highlight=loch

from that you can see there's a fair bit of time when you can use the loch for free.

Just an update........No fee required for launching (quite right too) but during specific times, they do 'request' that you stay on the side of the loch visible from the main car park so the rescue boat can see you. I usually paddle outwith these times though so doesn't bother me.

Had a nice day on Lochore last week. Midweek staff at the Centre were sensible - signed us in an out - no fee. Told us to try not to drown ourselves. No restrictions. The park is maturing nicely, with plenty of wildlife, a variety of flora and some interesting islands to explore. Nice easy launch from the car park next to the water.

Went here a few weeks ago, same deal as described by Freewheelin' Franklin above. They're rebuilding the main cafe/visitor centre, but facilities at the outdoor centre are open.