Thread: Oich, Loch

Default Oich, Loch

Loch Oich (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Omhaich) is a freshwater loch in the Highlands of Scotland which forms part of the Caledonian Canal. This narrow loch lies between Loch Ness and Loch Lochy in the Great Glen

Hi all,

Looking to get out on to loch Oich this weekend but its a wee bit rainy and windy today, looks like we will head out in our camper tonight and park up for the night at the Water Park south of Loch Oich and hopefully get an early start on Sunday.

I will post a few images and info on Loch Oich late on Sunday evening.

Regards

Mark

Well finally I have a spare bit of time off work to post a few pics of me and the Mrs on loch Oich.

It was a wee bit choppy with the winds blowing up the Loch, the Mrs by the way her name is Niki, she was not to happy up front, she said she didn't fancy a I cant blame her as the water temps were between 2 - 3C.

Not the nicest days to be out on the Lochs but real good to be out n about as this will be our first full summer as a canoe owner as we only bought our baby at the back end of the summer last year.

Some Pics.....

South end of Loch Oich, launched from the jetty at Highland activities

Stopped for a wee breather, on the old railway line at the side of the loch

Looking back to the south end of the loch, the Minnesota 11 sure covers the miles quick

Heading North up the loch towards old Glengary castle in the Great Glen

Looking south across from Glengarry castle

Glengarry castle where Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed after the Battle of Culloden

Land slides which caused major problems for the old railway that run down the side of the Loch

Heading back South, and by the way there is a nice cosy restaurant and bar at the south end for a well earned supper and a few drams...

Hope to get out soon but not this weekend as the snow as returned with a vengeance so out with the snowboards again....but roll on summer.

Mark