Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Goodbye!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    403

    Default Goodbye!

    Thought as I had all ready posted I should introduce myself.

    I have been into canoeing for about 8 years after I made a Selway Fisher prospector canoe in the front yard. After teaching myself to paddle I have had trips on the Wye, Severn, Lugg and other little streams and rivers in the south coast. I have canoed a bit in Scotland on Loch Awe and Etive. My main thing is mountaineering and backpacking, but I like to bob about a bit to. I like the campcraft and solitude of water. Also discovering new places, in unexpected places. On the Isle of Wight I mainly paddle the estuaries and one or two smaller rivers when there is the right flow of water. This site was a real find as the only other descent one I used was a Canadian one. Later this year i am heading north to Loch Ericht and the hills surrounding it, or maybe somewhere else......?

    Nigel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lochwinnoch, Scotland
    Posts
    16,793
    Journal Entries
    2

    Default

    Welcome Nigel

    Glad you like the site. I look forward to hearing about your trips and also seeing pictures of your canoe.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Glasgowish
    Posts
    1,416
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Hi Nigel, and welcome on board!

    As MK said, please do post up some pictures of your canoe, as there has been a lot of interest on here recently in self-builds, and particulary the Selway Fisher designs. There are a few of us who have had a go at building these, or are thinking about it, so would appreciate your input.

    Anyhow, welcome to the forum.

    Cheers,

    Blutack.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southampton, Hampshire
    Posts
    47

    Default Welcome aboard

    Hi Nigel

    welcome to the site, I live in Southampton and travel to the Island for work at least two or three times a month and am due over next Wednesday. I am always looking for the excuse to stop for a coffee so perhaps we could meet up some time (during the week unfortunately).

    We have a club on the Hamble and if you are on the mainland any time do not hesitate to get in touch.

    Jim

    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp
    Thought as I had all ready posted I should introduce myself.

    I have been into canoeing for about 8 years after I made a Selway Fisher prospector canoe in the front yard. After teaching myself to paddle I have had trips on the Wye, Severn, Lugg and other little streams and rivers in the south coast. I have canoed a bit in Scotland on Loch Awe and Etive. My main thing is mountaineering and backpacking, but I like to bob about a bit to. I like the campcraft and solitude of water. Also discovering new places, in unexpected places. On the Isle of Wight I mainly paddle the estuaries and one or two smaller rivers when there is the right flow of water. This site was a real find as the only other descent one I used was a Canadian one. Later this year i am heading north to Loch Ericht and the hills surrounding it, or maybe somewhere else......?

    Nigel

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    403

    Default Selway

    I now have a Mad River canoe now but will dig out some old pictures of the Prospector and Pete I made. I still have the plans and would like to make another Pete as it was very fast on flat water. Jim where do you paddle? I would like to explore some of the southern rivers, Avon and that and always fancied canoeing from Brockenhurst to Lymington!

    I work in Newport mostly so could meet and chat for half an hour some time.

    Nigel

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southampton, Hampshire
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Hi Nigel

    We paddle the Hamble most weekends but we travel to the Dart, Barle, Wye. We will be on the lower Stour this weekend trying our skills at poling upstream and playing on Iford weir, we also play on the river Itchen and we are going to explore access for opens on the Tein, and the Exe.

    Unfortunately there is very limited access on most of the southern rivers including most of the Avon and the majority of the Stour, however we will be looking at the Wey navigation this year and the Thames amongst others.

    I will work out my itinerary for my trip to the island next week and let you know where I will be.

    Jim

    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp
    I now have a Mad River canoe now but will dig out some old pictures of the Prospector and Pete I made. I still have the plans and would like to make another Pete as it was very fast on flat water. Jim where do you paddle? I would like to explore some of the southern rivers, Avon and that and always fancied canoeing from Brockenhurst to Lymington!

    I work in Newport mostly so could meet and chat for half an hour some time.

    Nigel

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Forest
    Posts
    403

    Default

    The Thames is Ok, have done quite a bit of that mostly the upper sections as far as Abingdon. The Wye is OK too but can suffer with a lack of water during the summer, nice touring river though. In winter can be very fast but all the rocky riffles get smoothed out. One winter I travelled 50 miles in just over two days when the river was flowing. Myself and friends usually camp and that and there is a good simple site at Preston-on-wye where you can have fires and that. Usually enjoy the camping as much as the paddling and have been messing about making fireboxes recently.

    Access always a problem in the south, sometimes I think it is best to just put in and paddle and deal with any problems as they arise. Personally I find one or to canoes drifting past fisherman causes little intrest anyway, usually too late by then!!
    Nigel

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Southampton, Hampshire
    Posts
    47

    Default

    As you say probably best to plead ignorance on the access issue... I've never had the nerve!!

    Jim



    Quote Originally Posted by nigelp
    The Thames is Ok, have done quite a bit of that mostly the upper sections as far as Abingdon. The Wye is OK too but can suffer with a lack of water during the summer, nice touring river though. In winter can be very fast but all the rocky riffles get smoothed out. One winter I travelled 50 miles in just over two days when the river was flowing. Myself and friends usually camp and that and there is a good simple site at Preston-on-wye where you can have fires and that. Usually enjoy the camping as much as the paddling and have been messing about making fireboxes recently.

    Access always a problem in the south, sometimes I think it is best to just put in and paddle and deal with any problems as they arise. Personally I find one or to canoes drifting past fisherman causes little intrest anyway, usually too late by then!!
    Nigel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •