Thread: Morar, Loch

Default Morar, Loch

Loch Morar (Scottish Gaelic: Loch Mh˛rair) is a freshwater loch in Morar, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. It is the fifth largest loch in Scotland, with a surface area of 26.7 square kilometres (10.37 square miles). It is also the deepest freshwater body in the British Isles, with a maximum depth of 310 metres (1,017 feet).

Loch Morar is of glacial origin with very steep sides and a length of 19 kilometres. It contains five sizeable islands.

In common with Loch Ness, occasional reports of large unidentified creatures in the loch's waters are made. The monster has been dubbed Morag by locals. In the United States, this monster was referred to as Morar Maggie.

Reports of Morar Maggie started when a man was going to fish and he got on his boat. As he was putting the boat in the water, an unidentified creature, that probably was described as a sea serpent, came out of the water. The snake jumped about 20 feet into the air and attacked the man. The man had to use the oar of the boat to hit the "serpent". According to the man, the serpent was about 40 feet long and 5 feet wide.

A team of experts was sent to the lake to analyze the case but was redirected to Loch Ness. The last time anyone heard about Morar Maggie was when a final sighting was made in 1969 when a man saw a creature while fishing in his boat.

Loch Morar was once famous for its prolific salmon and sea trout runs, but in common with most other freshwater systems in north-west Scotland these fish have been largely eradicated, and in many cases unique genotypes are now extinct, due to biological pollution in the form of parasitic lice from sea cage salmon farms.

The Department of Atomic Energy built a station at Loch Morar in 1947, possibly investigating using the loch as a source of heavy water

Default put in's and parking

Anybody paddled on here ? thinking of paddling to end of loch and walking in to sourlies bothy in Knoydart

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bullpot View Post
    Anybody paddled on here ? thinking of paddling to end of loch and walking in to sourlies bothy in Knoydart

Tim
    You can of course carry or trolly your canoe from Morar to Lock Nevis vis the track at Tarbet. Nevis is Tidal and the narrow can have a strong current on a Spring tide (every 14 days). This can be an issue leaving upper Loch Nevis with a wind against you (wind over tide). I have seen it get very lumpy just west of the narrows.

I have done this trip numerous times combining the two Lochs to suit wind and weather.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Default Thanks

Thanks for info Ray - how long is the portage ? . We had a bit of wind over tide experience on loch Etive last week. Good trip though.

Tim

Journal Entries

Default Morar

Hi,

I can also recommend Morar and linked to Nevis. The portage is a little easier now as the track seems to have been smoothed over - still steep but a good trolley is all that is needed.

Worth trying to book a night in the hostel on Nevis at the bottom of the portage. Great place and a great character who runs it.

if you are lucky and the local laird has had a w/e in the big house you may get the left overs - yummy!

If you turn left out of Tarbet look out for the whale and stop at the outdoor centre - another great character who runs this and is most welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by bullpot View Post
    Thanks for info Ray - how long is the portage ? . We had a bit of wind over tide experience on loch Etive last week. Good trip though.

Tim
    The portage is just over a kilometre but has a height gain of 70 metres or so. Bob's advice is good on the various interesting spots. If the track is better a trolley should make short work of it. At one time it was so bad I normally carried the canoes.

Morar is a great Loch but Nevis has got to be one of my favourite spots in Scotland.

Ray
    Last edited by RayGoodwin; 8th-June-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default Morar & Nevis

Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    The portage is just over a kilometre but has a height gain of 70 metres or so. Bob's advice is good on the various interesting spots. If the track is better a trolley should make short work of it. At one time it was so bad I normally carried the canoes.

Morar is a great Loch but Nevis has go to be one of my favourite spots in Scotland.

Ray
    Bang on Ray, it's a great loch.
    Yes. The portage is a doddle now, ................
    not like it used to be in the old days
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matkat View Post
    Bang on Ray, it's a great loch.
    Yes. The portage is a doddle now, ................
    not like it used to be in the old days
    hmm. I first did that portage more than twenty years ago. A lot less canoes around then.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Default Dangerous...

Hi All,
    Just new here,anyone going to Morar,be very,very careful,i fished it from the bank with a Friend as the sun dipped down,very slippery,if you slip in the wrong area you could disappear for ever,lol.have a wee look as it dips from the shallows,you expect something to come creeping up to you at times,a bit like Loch Lomond with the Fault just off the Mud Flats @ the southern end,Drifting there with the Fly rod for salmon,the bottom just disappears from around 8 ft to 600ft,have a look at Google Earth,you can just see the line all the way across the country,anyway just my 2 bits worth,Good Rowing,DP436.

Hi We were on Loch Morar during early May in sea kayaks, we didn't do the portage over to Nevis but did walk the track and took a few photos.

Bob

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/active...eat=directlink

Default Portage

Quote Originally Posted by RayGoodwin View Post
    hmm. I first did that portage more than twenty years ago. A lot less canoes around then.

Ray
    Yes, and as I recall you did an article on the trip and it was because of you that i went and did the same ridiculous thing ............. and anyone you told you were going in there in a Canoe thought you were bonkers
    mmm but then it's been my favorite area ever since
    To travel alone is a risky business, especially in the wilderness; equally risky is to have dreams and not follow them.

Default photos of morar

I spent 5 days paddling about on morar in the end of april and what a place this is. bivyed a couple of night on the banks and islands and spent a night n the bothy at the far end. the bothy was a god send as i had loads of kit to dry well here are some pictures. hope you all like

Exclamation

Here's a couple of shots of that portage

Default phone networks?

I'm planning on paddling here for a week in late october (weather permitting). Does anyone know which if any mobile networks are available in the area? - It's always nice to know you have contacts available if things turn sour and you take longer than planned because of the weather.
    thanks
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by samB View Post
    I'm planning on paddling here for a week in late october (weather permitting). Does anyone know which if any mobile networks are available in the area? - It's always nice to know you have contacts available if things turn sour and you take longer than planned because of the weather.
    thanks
    Sam
    Hi
    We were up there in June and my O2 phone was pretty useless, too many hills I think

Mick
    Stay safe, enjoy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gixermick View Post
    Hi
    We were up there in June and my O2 phone was pretty useless, too many hills I think

Mick
    At the bothy last autumn neither orange or 3 any reception !

Tim

Default Access

Can anyone tell me the exact location of where access is best gained.
    Somewhere a car can be left for a few days without being in anyones way.

Thanks

Hello Morrismole,

You can park at GR: NM 696 932.

Last time i was up there we saw a sign with a phone number for the estate manager, we rang and let them know our plans and to check our vehicles wouldn't be in the way.

I got the GR from the Ordnance Survey website. It's now marked as a parking area on the 1:25000 so you should be fine. Probably still worth letting the estate know what you're up to.
    Cheers, Pieface.

"What's so special about the cheesemakers?"

last october, we left three cars at a parking area at about 690 930 just a few hundred yards east of the jetty for four days
    Sam

Default Parking

Thanks.
    I should be up there weekend of the 19/20th June.
    Heading for Inverie or Oban Bothy depending on what the weather is like.

I hope you enjoy it. We camped first night on Morar islands, portaged across then the second night at the edge of loch nevis. We were then were caught by wind and rain for the day. early evening we got a break and paddled fast back to tarbet where we stayed in the bunkhouse -( very cheap and very entertaining host )- for two nights. we then portaged back over to morar and went down to the east end to the oban bothy but didn't stay. The river meoble kept us entertained for a while but eddying in and out and playing in a smallish river with loaded boats is a risky business so we paddled on and camped at around 760 899. A great week away. I thoroughly recommend it
    sam

We were on Loch Morar the week after Easter and also portaged over to Loch Nevis. As we were going to be camping for 5 nights we decided that it would be nice to have the last night somewhere comfortable so we booked rooms in the Morar hotel and arranged to leave our cars there whilst we were off paddling. We launched and landed at the slipway at about NM 685925 so it was a 10 to 15 minute walk from the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiad View Post

In common with Loch Ness, occasional reports of large unidentified creatures in the loch's waters are made. The monster has been dubbed Morag by locals. In the United States, this monster was referred to as Morar Maggie.

Reports of Morar Maggie started when a man was going to fish and he got on his boat. As he was putting the boat in the water, an unidentified creature, that probably was described as a sea serpent, came out of the water. The snake jumped about 20 feet into the air and attacked the man. The man had to use the oar of the boat to hit the "serpent". According to the man, the serpent was about 40 feet long and 5 feet wide.

Her name is MORAG not Maggie and the story of the Monster of Morar goes back hundreds if not thousands of years in Celtic/Pictish folklore long before the more easily accessible Loch Ness aquired a monster for the gullible tourists

A group of us paddled in Loch Morar in heavy weather before portage over to Nevis. We then attempted the ridiculous portage from Nevis to Quoich. Had then planned to go through to Loch Garry. Nuts! Anyway, 8km+ of uphill portage without anything like a decent trail isn't recommended. We had planned to do all that in one go (Morar to Garry) but ended up with an overnight stay in a bog without Bibby gear. So much for going fast and light. Mental scars fading now :-)