Thread: Lindores Loch

Default Lindores Loch

Lindores Loch is in Fife

More information to follow

Lindores is a pretty little eutrophic loch, run as a commercial fishery. It's not been busy any time I've passed it since last Summer, and the fishery hut is frequently unmanned, so I don't think a bit of quiet paddling would draw a lot of notice? To be honest I wouldn't be surprised to hear the fishery had folded. Several others over here have done so in recent times.

Put ins are a wee bit limited. There's the fishing car park, probably best not to use it unless you feel like asking nicely first... and there's a small layby a little to the North of this, where the loch edge is accessible; but less so in Summer when extensive reed beds choke up the margins.

I've a feeling Lindores is an SSSI, but not sure about this.

It's got no great depth, and there's a tiny islet that can occasionally be covered if the loch's very full of water.

I'm writing these notes from recent brief looksees on the way home from work and also from old fishing memories of the loch itself, not been on it for an awful lot of years.
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

Update about Lindores...

Please don't use this as a paddling venue until further notice, which isn't likely to be any time soon - given the extreme difficulty of treating successfully to eradicate the cause - see below.

The fishery is currently closed due to a severe infection of a water louse called Argulus.

See HERE

This is present in Lindores in plague proportions, and is easily transferred to other waters via all sorts of routes, like fishermen's nets, and water craft being moved from one water to another. Warm summer conditions such as we're currently enjoying will cause the concentration of these things to soar.

Argulus presence is always detrimental to fish stocks, more particularly to salmonids like brown and rainbow trout. This is why the fishery is closed - the stock is heavily infested with large numbers of these things. Fish lose condition, and heavy mortalities have been recorded in infected trout populations.

In short, it's NOT something you want to be responsible for moving around into otherwise healthy lochs and rivers.

So unless you have a way of 100% disinfecting your boat and associated kit that contacts the water, please don't canoe on Lindores - you could easily transplant this serious pest to the next water you paddle on.

As the loch is not drainable, being a natural loch, this problem seems unlikely to go away in the foreseeable future.

Apparently it's present in other locations as well albeit not to the degree evident in Lindores Loch, so a worthwhile precaution might be to check on any water you plan to canoe on, and consider staying away if you find that Argulus has been reported there.
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn