Thread: Katrine, Loch

Default Katrine, Loch

Loch Katrine is a freshwater loch in the district of Stirling, Scotland. It is roughly 13 kilometres long by 1 kilometre wide.

Loch Katrine is the primary water reservoir for much of the city of Glasgow and its surrounding areas.

The lake of Sir Walter Scott's The Lady of the Lake is Loch Katrine.
    Oil-fired vessels are not permitted to sail its waters due to the danger of pollution to the drinking water of Glasgow. Instead a wood-burning, steam-powered boat named the SS Sir Walter Scott offers local tourist transport. Robert Roy MacGregor as born as the head of the loch.

Fly and boat fishing for trout is permitted on the loch from spring to autumn

Default Correction

The Sir Walter Scott is not fueled by wood its a coal fired boiler and always has been. This was another job we had every winter to take the vessel out of the water and carry out boiler and hull repairs at the Stronachlacher slipway. Fitted a steam generator, kettle and new sewage tanks to our credit. This was another location that the site visit was such a chore to get to. I'll dig some photos out of us getting her out of the water when I get a chance. I read recently though that they are contemplating changing the boiler fuel on the SWS to bio oil.

Three times we have launched at the main carpark for the steamer. We have done this earl in the season, or in an evening. This has gone down well with the steamship trust as they have concerns over the narrow channel entrance and canoes being in the way. Last night was the only time we had proper grumpiness from one chap who represented "the company that owned the water" but we did not rise to the bait.

A lovely loch to paddle at the East end, just be polite and plan to avoid peak times and when the ferries are in and out as we did.

I'm staying at Loch Katrine for a week at start of August and hoping to get some paddling in. It's my first time paddling in Scotland, so in super excited (although a little nervous of what the weather will be). I'll be mindful of the above advice Re put in locations and timing. Thanks. Anywhere else nearby you'd recommend to have a paddle? I've only done still waters and slow rivers before. I'm also a keen fishermen, but was sad to hear Loch Katrine is a no fish zone at present.

We stayed at the western end of the loch a few years back at Stronachlachar. It's very quiet there, and there were no issues paddling at all.
    Matto

Ours was the marsh country, down by the river, within, as the river wound, twenty miles of the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by djarrold View Post
    I'm staying at Loch Katrine for a week at start of August and hoping to get some paddling in. It's my first time paddling in Scotland, so in super excited (although a little nervous of what the weather will be). I'll be mindful of the above advice Re put in locations and timing. Thanks. Anywhere else nearby you'd recommend to have a paddle? I've only done still waters and slow rivers before. I'm also a keen fishermen, but was sad to hear Loch Katrine is a no fish zone at present.
    Loch Ard & Loch Chon aren't far away, and offer lovely paddles on slightly smaller lochs, maybe better options if the wind is up. If you're staying near Stronachlachar like Matt, you'll drive past them.

Loch Ard is a lovely wee loch, which is a joy to paddle, depending on levels the river that feeds it is also worth a wee explore but you can easily get beached on the mud at low water levels and it sneeks up on you, but its easy to escape as well either with pole or digging your paddle in.

Archray (next to Katrine) is a lovely spot, only small, but underrated IMO. It does mean it is quiet though. Parking is at West end, next to junction to Katrine, is parking for a couple of cars and a 10-20m carry to the water.

Venachar - very nice, bigger loch. Can get busy with sailors (see how fast the Moths go - whooooooooooosh!), but lovely for a bigger paddle. Wind can blow down here a lot. Avoid the dam at east end - if the water is high, you can get quite a pull over the spillway!

Loch Ard is just fantastic - see the bloggs on here for inspiration. Feels like Canada, shallow puddle so warms up much more, lots to explore.

Loch Lubnaig - nice out of season, but main road + too many other folk + silly amounts of litter and faeces around the place put me off

The river Balvaig, from Loch Voil to Lubnaig is a nice, tree infested potter, with only a couple of sploshy / waves / corners to take care on. Don't get in the trees.

Voil - park at the Balqhidder bridge or village hall (donation to park) and it is a flat, slightly boggy, 50m carry or pole up last of the river. Lovely loch, again you will likely have it to yourself. South shore is quiet. See if you can find the stepping stones at the west end.

Loch Earn - big, windy loch with a few too many loch shore campers IMO.

Loch Tay - Big, Big, Big loch for a wonderful day or two out with deserted sandy beaches, secret waterfalls and castles, massive views. The islands at Killin make a cracking potter around - launch at slipway in the village, down the river (pay at outdoor shop) or for free with a 50m carry from just past Killin Castle. Take care, it can be more like the sea at times with big wind and steep waves and never gets warm...

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries