Thread: Fitty, Loch

Default Fitty, Loch

Information to follow

Loch Fitty's close by to Kingseat, to the NE of Dunfermline.

A lowland loch, mostly pretty shallow. Gets weedy in Summertime.

I heard recently that the Fitty fishery has folded - unconfirmed.

Having been a commercial fishery I'd be surprised if anyone who showed up with a canoe would've been warmly received, really. There's effectively no vehicular access unless you use the fishery access road.

If the fishery's reported demise is right enough, access might have become easy?

Best check first.
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn

Nipped down to Loch Fitty this morning (sunday 30th March, 2008) just to check it out for an evening paddle and the place is very much deserted now. You can only access the official entrance 3/4 of the way down as the car park is now locked and boulders placed across the access on to the loch side. One or two fishing on the loch, but for paddling access appears limited now. Unless anyone has other access?
    One life. Live it.

Update on Loch Fitty - apparently the open cast outfit that's already accessed coal in areas fairly adjacent to Loch Fitty now have the go ahead from Fife Council to go ahead and dig out the 3+ million tons of coal under the loch. I haven't yet seen the word "drain" used but unsure quite how an open cast dig can be done under a loch without a bit of drainage going on.

Terms like Reinstatement crop up as does the mysterious term Land Art, which I guess has to mean "improvement" of the "landscaping" variety.

Kingseat residents are up in arms about it but the usual stuff about jobs in the short term outweighs every other concern in the longer term.

I first heard about this maybe a couple of years ago but lent it little credibility - Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some Great Crested Newts? Ordinarily I'd stick in a smiley after a query of that sort but right now don't feel too much like laughing about this.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/Doc/50716/0122037.pdf
    That shall float upon the river,
    Like a yellow leaf in Autumn