Thread: Ericht, Loch

Default Ericht, Loch

Loch Ericht (Scottish Gaelic, Loch Eireachd) is a freshwater loch on the border between Perth and Kinross and the Highlands Council areas of Scotland. The River Ericht flows from the south end of the loch and later enters Loch Rannoch.

It is dammed at its southern end and most of the outflow diverted to the power station on Loch Rannoch. It is also dammed at its northern end just 300 m from the Truim River (a Spey tributary) to protect the village of Dalwhinnie, and road and rail links

It's attractive, remote and has a good bothy (McCook's Bothy - allegedly haunted.)

Water level varies and sometimes shows signs of recent drawdown.

I've only walked there so have no info about put-ins etc.

Default Pictures

Hi

Took these during a recent run along Loch Ericht from Dalwhinnie to Loch Rannoch (would probably have been quicker to paddle).

North end is fairly accessible though a trolley may come in handy. South side is a approx three miles from main road.

Bothy is well worth a visit.

Cheers

Tom

I want to go there now. Looks like there are some good camping spots too.

The best camping spots are definitely down towards the south end - near the bothy. I did pass a pretty good beach though about half way along which would have been a great spot.

Wonderful place, and the southern end is really quite remote!

very exposed in Winter wild and woolly!

the Bothy has a long reputation of being haunted!

Two of us tried skiing in from Loch Ossian in winter, I remember the scale was awe inspiring and definitely a scary place to be in bad weather!

it was 1992 when I did that trip, and I still remember the sense of exposure and the "unknown" as the cloud base lowered. Never did stay in that bothy!

Good sense made us turn back, we were C**p skier's! (I still am!) but well equipped!

Lou's blogg captures the place very well!

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ghlight=ericht

Alan l.
    Last edited by Juno2; 31st-May-2009 at 08:38 AM.

Default lost on Loch ericht/Ben Alder Lodge track

hello,
    i have lost a 100l Nookie dry bag full of walking kit, half way between Dalwhinnie and Ben Alder Lodge, we were forced to make an emergency landing and think the bag may have been left by mistake, if anyone has found it i would be extremely greatful for its return, please leave a message here or cjellison08@hotmail.co.uk or by phone on 0790998903
    thanks very much

Sorry to hear you lost some kit Chris. I hope to be down that way again before too long and I'll certainly keep an eye open.

Cheers

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bygchris View Post
    hello,
    i have lost a 100l Nookie dry bag full of walking kit, half way between Dalwhinnie and Ben Alder Lodge, we were forced to make an emergency landing and think the bag may have been left by mistake, if anyone has found it i would be extremely greatful for its return, please leave a message here or cjellison08@hotmail.co.uk or by phone on 0790998903
    thanks very much
    I've met the bloke who's in charge of the estate at the north end.
    One of my friends has his phone number, i'll try to get it for you.

Cheers, Pieface.

I've got the number. His name is Dave and he's a paddler too.
    PM sent.

Cheers Pieface.
    Last edited by pieface; 26th-August-2009 at 12:42 PM.

thanks for all your quick responses guys, bag turned up safe and well in the local police station thankfully!

Chris

Great loch to paddle.Easy access at Dalwhinnie,turn left just before the petrol station.plenty of parking just before the railway tunnel.There is a 200m portage to the loch,last time I paddled it (about 3 years ago)there was an electronic gate you had to get over just underneath the railway tunnel.best camping in Alder Bay near the bothy,bothy is very good but can sometimes be busy with fisherman/walkers etc.
    Also camped about 7 miles down on North shore where there is a conspicuous sandy bay.
    I have paddled it a few times in various opens and sea kayaks,it has a long fetch and SW or NE winds can get a big sea running,but thats typical of most lochs I suppose.
    Hoping to organise a Fife group paddle this Autumn(2009)
    Always buy the best you can,t afford

Default Access fom the south ??

Anybody know if it is possible to use the hydro road from the S to access the Loch?
    If it wasn't for the rain in our lives there would be no rivers. X 2

Default Bridge of Ericht access

Having just discovered the delights of Google maps street view I looked this up.

There is a gate that looks as if it's locked (picture not clear enough to say for certain) with numerous signs attached, mostly unreadable unfortunately, but one is for Correyvarkie Lodge.

Years ago we trolleyed up the hydro road. They were not keen on us doing even that! Strange attitude. The cottage at the gate was one estate and the road was on another.

We were doing a trip from Loch Ba on Rannoch Moor to Spey Bay. Unfortunately there was no water in the Trium so we ended up using the trolley to bypass that section of the trip.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    Anybody know if it is possible to use the hydro road from the S to access the Loch?
    Not with a vehicle, and it's a long and quite steep portage. I biked up it a couple of years ago and pushed the bike a fair way.

Quote Originally Posted by tenboats1 View Post
    Yes, you can. There are two gates next to one another. The main road gate is padlocked but there's a smaller gate at the side which is big enough to get a boat through although I needed to put mine through on it's side as it was just a little too wide. This second gate does not have a lock.

There's also sufficient space for one car to park.

Cheers,

Tom

Default Gruelling trip

Some info from a trip we did a while back may be of use.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ht=loch+ericht
    Hear all, see all, say nowt

The very pretty bay where the LRT ends at 558760 is known locally as Emerald Bay.

Hi, can someone tell me how long to paddle up the loch to the south end and the bothy? Given good condition of course.

Easiest measure the distance in kilometres and then work on doing 4 to 5 km per hour in calm conditions. Faster with wind behind you and of course slower with wind in the face. Tandem you may do 6k per hour. All that depends on how fast you boat is of course.

Ray
    www.RayGoodwin.com

Paddling a Venture Prospector (in CoreLite X) using Downcreek Paddles

What Ray says. Based on this, I'd be allowing close to 6 hours of paddling in calm conditions to Ben Alder cottage. The likelihood is, with the prevailing winds coming from the SW, you'll be facing a headwind of some sort. So, a full day by the time you allow for rests etc. Tandem, knock an hour off.
    Paddler,blogger,camper,pyromaniac: Blog: Wilderness is a State of Mind

Paddle Points - where to paddle

We just asked in the nearby shop and were told the key-code to the gate by the post lady. We then parked for 5 nights by the side of the dam.

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...e-it-Glamp-It-!
    A ship should not ride on a single anchor, nor life on a single hope - Epictetus