Thread: Doon, Loch

Default Doon, Loch

Loch Doon (from Scottish Gaelic Loch Dhin, loch of the fort) is a body of water, in Carrick, Scotland. It is the source of the River Doon.

In the 13th century, it was a site of a castle owned by the Earls of Carrick. During the Scottish Wars of Independence it was held by one Gille Brighde, Sir Gilbert de Carrick, a native Carrick nobleman who surrendered it to the English. It was soon recovered by the Scots. In the 15th century, it was frequently in the hands of the Kennedy Clan, although it was briefly in the hands of the Maclellans (backed by William Douglas, 8th Earl of Douglas) after a siege in 1446. The castle was destroyed in the 16th century by King James V as part of a general policy of reducing the power of the barons.

The loch was dammed in the 1930s to provide water for the Galloway hydro-electric power scheme. During its construction, the ruins of the castle were moved from an island in the Loch to the shore to avoid the rising water.

Loch Doon is also an SSSI and here is the link to the operations considered damaging.

Of particular note are activities that damage the shore and damage to any plants or remains of plants.

Default Loch Doon

Does this mean I can or cant canoe here. Planning on going up with my daughter and father, she is fine he will argue with his shadow.
    Please advise.

Not planning on damaging anything except flattening grass under tent, it usually recovers from past experience.

Many thanks

It is so sad but when I was there about 4 months ago it looked like a rubbish dump. There is rubbish, burnt out caravans, bottles, things you wouldn't want your daughter to ask you what they were, spread for miles and miles, along the road side of the Loch. I was working for the Scottish Tourist Board and was meant to be writing a feature on the area. I had to REFUSE! Such a shame as the Loch itself is set in stunning scenary and a few community service guy's up there with a skip for a couple of days could make it a beautiful place to visit again.
    I was warned before I arrived there that is was bad but I wasn't prepared for what i saw.
    Has it changed in the last 4 months?
    Lou xx

Thanks for the heads up

Default Loch Doon

Being fairly local to the Loch, I was there with an old campervan earlier this year, but had the 2 guns, a machette and a couple of Dobermans with me....just kidding....what I found was, there is an area whith tarmac road access which has a lot of "caravans" on it which is best avoided, I went a little further, closer to the castle and parked up there, no problems at all. This was before I had the canoe but I plan to go there with it next spring and the setting being sooooo nice, I'll pack the guns, machette and dogs. Don't let em put you off, and don't worry about cars, tents and stuff, if we do that, we will get no where.
    Gimme a shout, could meet you there.

Paddled it lots of years ago - in a huge gale, sailing from one end to the other ultra fast, 2 boats linked together & the bows didn't touch the water most of the time.

Landed on the island to have a quick look at the ruins & then tried to paddle over the hill along Gala Lane, defeated by giant grass hummocks near the summit.

A beautiful area, shame it's seems to have been spoilt.

Hi, just browsing and saw this post. I paddled up at Loch Doon at the end of October 08 and saw no problems at all, it was a beautiful location, and the only bit of water near our base in Castle Douglas that wasn't in flood or blowing a gale that day!

We did meet a couple of very squally hail storms though, and it was absolutely freezing up there!

Perhaps out of season when it's a tad colder there are fewer problems, or maybe it's all been sorted out.

I'm glad i didn't read this thread first, as it would have put me off.

Linz

Default Loch Doon

Read in a local newspaper recently that all the caravans and stuff that was there has now been removed, no idea how the council intend to keep it that way!! may take a wee run round that way for a day and see for myself. Will keep you posted.

Default Loch Doon Clean Up

So glad the local council have finally got round to sorting the problems at Loch Doon out. It is such a beautiful location.
    Lou xx

Quote Originally Posted by Lou xx View Post
    So glad the local council have finally got round to sorting the problems at Loch Doon out. It is such a beautiful location.
    Talking to the guy who owns the cafe by the dam back in June he mentioned that the intention was to put a small camp/van site near the head of the loch. This in conjuntion with the hefty chunks of rock they have put down to block the obvious overnighting spots it is hoped will help with the problem. There is also apparently a plan for there to be a warden/ranger up in the area during the season.
    Aslan

south lanarkshire on east ayrshire boarder p.s. its scotland

Default loch doon

Was up a couple of months ago and blockade of rocks seams to be keeping away all the *we will stay hear all summer and leave our cp behind crew* away.
    No signs of the rubbish that we normally find when up kayaking the ness glen section which is just below the dam.Nice pathway along side of river if you are there for a trip.
    love alot, trust a few but always paddle your own canoe

Was there a couple of months ago the cafe gone, but so have the undesirables, still a Mecca for quad bikers, but they didn't cause any problems and like us they have to go somewhere to enjoy there pastime. It's not a bad paddle and theres a few interesting features it's big enough for an overnight camp as you can see in this Loch Doon Blogg.
    Out of the summer season, it's deserted and if travelling from South of the border its a relatively short journey from northern England.

Thought I might update this thread, as loch Doon is my local loch. The cafe across the dam is open for business as usual, The new caravan and campsite just beyond is nearly complete .The activity of quad biking has been curbed by the forestry commission. If you visit keep an eye open for the ospreys that have returned again this year. Work on the Dam however commences on the 29th of may 2014 and is estimated to be ongoing for around five months, the road will still be accessable but "expect delays". Hope to see you there sometime if you make the trip. I'm the guy with the red beard btw. P.S overnight caravan parking is still prohibited and continues to be enforced successfully (with the exception of the designated park obviously).

I was up for a drive in June and I can confirm it's all cleaned up now,the Round House cafe is up and running and the owner is great and posts updates and info on Facebook , the caravan site is built but not finished when I was there. There are some vans on but it wasn't open to the public yet due to power/ water issues.

Were is the best spot to get the canoes in. I wasnt thinking about that when I was up.
    Is there any easy stretches on the river Doon, for a wee paddle suitable for a canoe and a beginer in a kayak.

Just a word of warning: My mate was paddling Loch Doon last year (thankfully in his SP3), when he came into shore at speed and hit a threaded stud, of about 15-20mm diameter which was sticking out from a large concrete block, just off the "beach". The stud almost penetrated the hull, indeed it probably would have, if it had been a RX or glassfibre boat. On checking about, he reckoned there were a few of these blocks dotted about, all with similar studs. I've no more information or detail on this hazard and I don't know the loch at all, so just paddle with a bit of caution, particularly when coming into the side.

Now paddling Either a Gumotex Palava 400 Or a Gumotex Solar Pro 410c and LOVING IT!

The blocks are part of the old ariel target system from ww1. They're all sitting about six feet out of the water just now so not a problem at the moment. There's a load of them down the eastern shore but only a couple on the west side. The idea behind them was to pull targets by winch along a rail track that sat on said blocks and then amphibious planes would come in and shoot them (real boys own adventure stuff) the whole project was never completed for whatever reason (peace broke out maybe). The water levels must have been up when your pal damaged his canoe, and the buggers are sitting just under the surface. If you fancy checking it out give us a shout i'd be more than happy to meet up and give you the laymans tour.
    Last edited by outpost31; 14th-August-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Putting in at the bogton loch is your best bet and getting out at waterside, the river is pretty gentle and slow flowing most of the way. Just a couple of wee ripples en route. If you want I could arrange to meet you and show you first hand the best put in and get out points.

I am thinking of a paddle and night wild camp here in the next few weeks ( weather permitting). Does anyone have any advice on where to launch and park? Also is there a ranger or number to call to get any information as to any places to keep away from, locally sensitive areas, etc. I am very aware that the wonderful access in Scotland is a great privilege and want to be sure that I do everything correctly and do not upset anything natural or any one local.

thanks,
    Mick

Yes I agree if there is any new info that would be great, we are planning on going for the Easter weekend wildcamping.
    If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!!

We went a few weeks ago. It was very nice. We put in at the castle and left the car there. It was very quite, plenty of places to camp, we went to the very south of the loch and on the east side by a small burn. If you want more info let me know I could find grid ref etc if you need them.
    Mick