Thread: Awe, Loch

Default Awe, Loch

Loch Awe is the third largest fresh water loch in Scotland with a surface area of 38.5 square kilometres (14.9 square miles). It is the longest fresh water loch in Scotland, measuring 35 kilometres from end to end with an average width of 1 kilometre.

The loch runs approximately south-west to north-east, roughly parallel to the two sea lochs of Loch Etive and Loch Fyne. Via the River Awe and Loch Etive it drains westward from its northern end and thus into the Atlantic Ocean.

Loch Awe is the site of two hydroelectric projects. One is a conventional turbine power station, with water extracted from the River Awe at a barrage, fed through underground pipes, and generating electricity as it flows into Loch Etive. The second is a more unusual pumped storage project, using a man-made loch in the hills above the loch; water is pumped up during times of surplus power, and used to power generators at times of peak demand. The second project, known as Cruachan from the name of the hill above, has a visitor centre, which includes tours into the heart of the mountain.

Loch Awe is renowned for its trout fishing. Salmon pass through the loch, coming past the barrage in the River Awe and continuing into the River Orchy. Loch Awe contains several ruined castles on islands, and at the northern end has one of the most photographed castles in Scotland, Kilchurn Castle, which in summer may be visited by a short boat trip or by a half mile walk from a small car park just after the bridge over the River Orchy. It was from Loch Awe and surrounding area that Clan Campbell established itself as a powerful family.

Journal Entries

Another Loch Awe blogg can be found here:

http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ead.php?t=7388

Thumbs up homesick

Loch Awe is one of the most amazing places in Scotland,it has great history,the whole area has been the site of many battles from Pictish times to clan warfare,the shores are littered in ancient ruins,many superstitions about ghosts and the like ,the power station is well worth a visit,there is a couple of good campsites,its a great area for walking and climbing,starting to get homesick ...
    Rain is only beer thats still to be made

Quote Originally Posted by Naiad View Post

The loch runs approximately south-west to north-east, roughly parallel to the two sea lochs of Loch Etive and Loch Fyne. Via the River Awe and Loch Etive it drains westward from its northern end and thus into the Atlantic Ocean.
    Impossible as it has three legs to it !

Although the main legs are in that direction.

Access is awkward but join the SCA to get access to the River/Loch Adviser, who also works for thr FC.

Nick
    Last edited by Scots_Charles_River; 15th-January-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Journal Entries

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

7. Default First ever trip! - Advice?

Hi, I'm going canoeing with a group of friends this weekend - most of use have done it a few times before, but only in school.

We're thinking Loch Awe for obvious reasons, but possibly Loch Ba/Loch Laidon on Rannoch Moor, or the Lochs in Glen Lyon instead. Any advice on where the best place to go would be?

Also, if we're going to Loch Awe, what do we need to know beforehand? E.g. access, fishing permits, etc.

Finally, where can a man get a tarp?! The things on ebay all seem to be more like ground sheets.

Thanks!
    Angus

you can get a fishing license in the shop that's across the road from the train station in lochawe.

as far as i'm aware access is not a problem as long as you stay off private land, or get permission from the owner (obviously). but i'm not a local so someone else may correct me.

loch awe is a great spot for paddling and camping. it has lots of nice spots to discover. you're never far from human civilisation which may be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on what you want. the loch is pretty long and wind can have quite an effect.
    there is a lot of info under the links on this page. maybe you'll also find something useful in my blog from last autumn: http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=13740

as for tarps, it looks like there will be a group buy soon on the forum:
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/for...t=16490&page=2
    otherwise you may have more luck asking this question in the gear section

another thing i just remembered: there's a road along the western shore of loch awe. so if you're thinking that an easy bailout by car sounds like a good option in case things turn a bit awkward, stick to that side.

10. Default First trip was a success!

Thanks for the advice folks. We had an amazing time and I am definitely hooked on the open canoe!

Blog of trip with pics will follow soon.

Angus

I am thinking that Loch Awe sounds like an ideal spot for a 3-4 day canoe and camping trip. What would be the best time of year to do that? I'm thinking about the weather and the midges...

Crow is offline こんにちは。私はカラスと私はスコットラ ンドの出身で す。
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
    I am thinking that Loch Awe sounds like an ideal spot for a 3-4 day canoe and camping trip. What would be the best time of year to do that? I'm thinking about the weather and the midges...
    Yes it's great place for adventures.

I've tended to go in late August and haven't been too bothered by midges.

As for weather, it's pretty variable as is anywhere in Scotland. Can get windy. I've had rain, sun, wind , everything in the space if a couple of hours.

Summers are nice though, because of the long light evenings.

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

John

I started at the bottom and I like it here

Journal Entries

"Your everlasting summer, you can see it fading fast. So you grab a piece of something that you think is gonna last."

Crow Trip Log

Journal Entries

Crow Trip Log

Loch Awe weather - "it's pretty variable as is anywhere in Scotland"
    Sadly Loch Awe & the west coast mostly have about 4 x the precipitation of the east coast - like the Lake District - but of course there are local micro-climates.
    Edinburgh & Fife in the east have the same rainfall as London - 25"

Journal Entries

Warmer than the east though. And more lochs.

Crow Trip Log

Fife?

The loch's leven......
    This post may vanish at any moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Warmer than the east though. And more lochs.
    true, definitely milder - I camped and fished at Loch Awe for many years in April - but now the ecology has been ruined by fish cages, and the landowners are really very difficult about camping - so stealth is often required - the islands are good, especially if you conceal the canoe.
    Much of the Loch Awe shoreline is fenced/farmed & the wild camping legislation specifically states unfenced land, & counsels common sense & courtesy re farming interests.