Thread: Ard, Loch

Default Ard, Loch

Loch Ard (Scottish Gaelic: Loch na h-Airde) is a body of fresh water in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park of the Stirling District in Scotland. (grid reference NN4501.)

The loch is approximately 4 kilometers long by 2 kilometers wide and runs approximately east-west along a sheltered valley. It is considered to be the source of the River Forth and lies downstream of Loch Chon.

The waters of Loch Ard are home to both a sailing and rowing club. The villages of Kinlochard, and Milton lie on its shores. The village of Aberfoyle lies 3 kilometers to its east while the mountain of Ben Lomond sits to its west.

The name of the lake comes from ŕrd, the gaelic word for high. Loch Ard, a clipper ship in the 19th century was named for it. The ship was wrecked in Australia at, what is known since as, Loch Ard Gorge.

Journal Entries

Default Ard, Loch

[/IMG]

It was looking through some snaps today which made me realise how lucky I am living 20 mins from Loch Ard and how much the Loch and my escapes there mean to me.
    [/IMG]

It was a glimpse of an open canoe on a still Autumn morning that inspired me to return to canoeing.

[/IMG]

I took my son by canoe for his first wild camp on its banks and we have since had alot of fun naming some of its landmarks such as 'Broken Rock'

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It has so much to offer for a little loch - a crannog, a castle , Islands, Rob Roy's cave ( or one of them he did alot of hiding !) and even a little shallow river connecting its two parts.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It is constantly changing throughout the year and although I know it well still comes up with surprises.
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Today for example came across this flower growing in the reed beds. No idea what it's called . Perhaps there is some one out there who knows what it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

With all the economic uncertainity at the moment rumours are rife at work about people being asked to relocate. If asked I think you might be able to guess my answer
    Bandy

CLICK THE LINK TO THE SCOTTISH CANOE TRIPS CHANNEL FOR VIDEOS OF MY TRIPS : http://www.youtube.com/user/bandy598

Hi Bandy - Loch Ard looks great - I think we'll give it a try very soon.

Your flower looks like a yellow flag to me - a native iris that likes the edges of freshwater lochs and marshes.

Default First Paddle of the Year 2013

First paddle of 2013 was to Loch Ard on 4 January with my nephew.
    Started at the top of the loch and paddled to the island Eileen Gorm. Continued along the southern shore line having lunch on a small rocky outcrop near to the island with the castle ruins. The water was mirror calm with stunnnig views of land and reflections fusing.

Paddled down the river to the small loch although with the water being so high the river was more like a loch with litle current.

Returned along the north side of the loch before darkness.

We were the only boat on the loch. A tranquille afternoon the only sound being the song of the paddle!!

A superb loch for a winter paddle when like me you are a newcomer to canoeing.

(Also went out on 13 January paddling solo - millpond calm. There were a few canoes on the water when I was arriving but didn't see them by the time I was on the water.)

I was here the last day of the heat wave, so it was a hot day and water levels were low paddling the narrows so will need to return when levels are up.

Journal Entries

Just a wee heads up that as of Sunday 28th there is 2 half size containers at the iron cross put in, just as you get to the Loch proper reducing available parking there to two cars at most.
    Cheers,

Alan

Has anyone wild camped on Eilean Gorm, one of the little islands. I'm thinking of my first trip out. Start in the mill pond along the narrows, close to the banks (50m) until I get to the shallower part and make the crossing to the lake. Any thoughts?

Journal Entries

It is the most popular island to camp on. Should be ok this time of year.
    Cheers,

Alan

Cheers Alan, I'll try to remember to take some photos to sling into this thread.

The islands fine to camp and will be quiet as Alan says but there are nicer campsites close by. For example there is a good one in the bay the island sits in on the left hand shore opposite the little cranog island.Go further on into what they call the secret loch ie past the cranog island and through the narrow entrance to the Loch beyond and you'll find a great campsite amongst oaks on the right.
    I always take some bin bags with me so I can take away the rubbish left by others as unfortunately there are those who don't respect things. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.
    PS you'll find a wee video or 2 of the loch under the link below.
    Bandy

CLICK THE LINK TO THE SCOTTISH CANOE TRIPS CHANNEL FOR VIDEOS OF MY TRIPS : http://www.youtube.com/user/bandy598

The yellow flower in your pic is an iris pseudacorus

Has anyone got any idea of how the ice situation is on the Trossachs lochs at the moment?

Journal Entries

shouldn't be too bad has been a little warmer, no guarantees though!
    Cheers,

Alan

Journal Entries

I was up by Venacher and Achray today, partially frozen but clear at the windward ends. Where it was frozen a large rock wouldn't penetrate. I'll not be heading up
    Cheers,

Alan

Thanks for the update. I've no experience of canoeing in icy waters. I don't fancy it much either.