Thread: Easter Weekend - Loch Morlich & Loch an Eilean

Default Easter Weekend - Loch Morlich & Loch an Eilean

Hi Folks,

The final coat of varnish has gone onto the canoe, so we're off to find some ice cold water to try it out on!

Camping at Loch Morlich Campsite Fri/Sat/Sun of the Easter Weekend, with a day trip to Loch an Eilean on Sat or Sun (may do Loch Gamhna too if the portage looks easy enough).

If anybody else is looking for somewhere to go at the weekend, you're welcome to join us. Some pics are of course called for, just to whet your appetite!

Loch Morlich:

Loch an Eilean:

Come on - you know you want to!!

Cheers,

Blutack.

Can't make this weekend due to family commitments but hope you might have the chance to pop over to Inchcialloch the following week.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutack
    Some pics are of course called for, just to whet your appetite!
    Absolutely but I was expecting pictures of the recently finished canoe
    John

It's tempting, but unfortunately we have other commitments next weekend.
    If you are planning on camping at Loch Morlich be sure to book in advance. We were up that way several times last year testing out canoes and eventually buying one . We didn't manage to get into the Glenmore campsite once, it was always full.

Default Loch an Eilean and Loch Gamhna

I went a walk round Loch an Eilean last summer and have fancied paddling on it since i got my canoe and explore the castle etc.

Did you manage to portage to Loch Gamhna?

Does anybody know any other good paddling in that area? Im trying to integrate lots of paddling into a weeks camping in the area. I was thinking about Loch morlich but thought that might be a bit crowded.

Cheers

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler
    I went a walk round Loch an Eilean last summer and have fancied paddling on it since i got my canoe and explore the castle etc.
    Hi Paddler, I'm afraid the weekend we went, the weather was terrible, so we hardly got out in the boat (hail and gale force winds!). However, Loch an Eilean is still very much on my to do list!

I'm not sure about landing on the island itself, as the castle is a pretty delicate monument. However, I've heard that if you paddle around it and shout, there's an interesting echo at one point .

Within the same area, I believe the trip on the Spey from Newtonmore through Loch Insch is a 'must do', but others on here will be able to advise better. Loch Morlich is a lovely loch, but very crowded in the summer. The Morlich campsite is also likely to be mobbed, but no great shame, as there are better sites elsewhere.

Good luck!

Blutack.
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Hi again - another thing I just thought of, there was an access dispute over Loch an Eilean until recently. This has all been sorted out now, but you can read more on this thread.

PM me with your E-mail address if you'd like a copy of the Park Authority's E-mail to take with you just in case!
    The Canoeist's prayer: "Lord grant me the serenity to walk the portages I must, The courage to run the rapids I can, And the wisdom to know the difference".

John Muir Trust - Wild Places for Nature & People.

Thanks for that. We got out paddling on both Loch morlich and an eilean. Morlich was very busy but still great scenery to canoe in. We were the only people on Loch an eilean, couldnt discover the weird echo but didnt get hassled about canoeing either.

Both are really nice lochs and well worth the trip. Going to try some river running soon hopefully too.