Thread: The power of guilt

Journal Entries

Default The power of guilt

Well I never thought I would see the day.

I took the kids swimming this morning as usual then this afternoon Karen wanted to do a training run with me and the girls (Eleanor and Gwen) tagging along in the bikes.

After this the plan was for me and the girls to go out in the new We No Nah to try out the centre seat I fitted last night. However, Karen felt so guilty about us joiner her in her pastimes that she offered to come in the canoe as well .

To say she was nervous was an understatement. Se sat in the front seat gripping the gunnels. Several times she suggested that we go back to shore and she would wait there for the girls and I but then she would have a surge of bravery and decide to stay.

Needless to say she did not paddle but her even being in the boat was a huge step. Anyway we made it to the other side of the loch where the ruined castle is where Karen had coffee and the girls had hot chocolate prepared in the kelly kettle.

From the picture you would almost think she was enjoying herself.

On the return trip she was slightly less nervous but is still far from a convert.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    From the picture you would almost think she was enjoying herself.
    It is amazing what sunshine can do for the disposition!

Well done to all.

Philip

Journal Entries

Well done to Karen.

A few years ago I was absolutely petrified of going out on the water. It took me a while to overcome it, but I have.
    I reckon if you get a few more guilt ridden sunny days Karen will decide she is a convert too. ( you should have bought the 16' after all )
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Thumbs up Well done Karen.

Looks like a good family day out John.

Gripping the gunnels was how I started before you know it Karen will be steering and you can be in front.

Yours MM.
    Maggie.

''One is always wiser after the event''

Default Guilt

Hi,
    Love the idea of sunshine. As I write this its snowing and there is about 2 inches of new snow fallen in the last hour. New Ice Age I think.
    Woodlander

Life should be a journey from curiosity to understanding.

One thing that may be worth thinking about when putting a nervous novice in a canoe is that the bow seat can feel a bit more intimidating, I think its that you cant see the size of the boat. it'll muck up your trim a bit but put her on the centre seat or on an improvised seat between middle and front seats (also has the benefit of sitting lower) to improve confidence for the first few times.

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    One thing that may be worth thinking about when putting a nervous novice in a canoe is that the bow seat can feel a bit more intimidating, I think its that you cant see the size of the boat. it'll muck up your trim a bit but put her on the centre seat or on an improvised seat between middle and front seats (also has the benefit of sitting lower) to improve confidence for the first few times.
    I would definately agree with that. I'm not sure about the 15' boat, but the bow seat in the 16' prospector is very close to the narrow bow. I'm used to paddling in the stern and feel very vulnerable when sitting in the bow seat. On the two occasions we have run rivers we have paddled the boat reversed for this reason, with the bow paddler using the stern thwart as a kneeling thwart.

Quote Originally Posted by MagiKelly
    After this the plan was for me and the girls to go out in the new We No Nah to try out the centre seat I fitted last night. However, Karen felt so guilty about us joiner her in her pastimes that she offered to come in the canoe as well .

So - you got 2 adults and 2 kids in the 15' boat? Was it low in the water? How was the handling with this load?

What centre seat arrangement did you go for in the end? I could read the other thread I suppose, but I'm just being lazy

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hill_billy
    So - you got 2 adults and 2 kids in the 15' boat? Was it low in the water? How was the handling with this load?

What center seat arrangement did you go for in the end? I could read the other thread I suppose, but I'm just being lazy
    The boat was not at all low in the water. The handling was actually very good. I was doing all the paddling as well, as Karen was gripping the gunnels and the girls did not have paddles, plus Karen would not want them moving about. I would not hesitate to take them all out again.

The center seat I got was an extra wide webbed one from Endless River http://www.endlessriver.co.uk/shop/erol.html and fitted it using the Aluminum Seat Kit. If you are doing the same thing then you also need to order 4 extra bolts. I did not realize this and had to use the ones from the center thwart.

Journal Entries

The bow seat can feel pretty precarious if your nervous , (you've probably not experianced this ) If Karen is willing to go out again, if she is not paddling there is nothing to stop her sitting in the bow seat but facing backwards to look at you and the girls, may take her mind off the water a bit. And she can see what you're up to for when she wants to have a shot at paddling .
    'There is no wealth but life itself.'

Journal Entries

When I used to guide, years and years ago, I sometimes had the luxery of getting the whole crew we were about to take out, in the water, in their swim suits. I would have them dump the canoes, empty them out (by various methods) in the water, and just generally have fun with the canoes. If they dump the canoe under these conditions - and recover. It isn't near the shock or problem if it happens out on the trail. It gives them more confidence in themselves and shows them they are capable of recovery. It also shows them how far over they have to go before the canoe swamps. We would also play games with the canoes, like gunnel pumping or racing.

Warm water helps when you are doing these type of things.

For those who've never heard of it, gunnel pumping is standing on the stern gunnels and pumping your legs up and down for locomotion. You can get up quite a head of steam doing this. I used gunnel pumping last year to cross a wide river when my partner had inadvertantly packed my paddles across in another canoe.

PG, Ne Minnesota